Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Delivery Crew Pays?
I think crew are worth paying for to ensure the safe passage of my vessel. 39 65.00%
I think crew should pay me to come on my boat, I am worth it. 2 3.33%
My case is a real hardship 1 1.67%
Give it up Delancey! 18 30.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2015, 16:03   #1

Delivery Crew Pays?

Owning a boat and living the cruising dream doesn't come cheap. If it did, everyone would be doing it. I see a lot of threads about the cost of cruising but I don't think I have seen any that included a discussion of delivery costs.

When a boat needs to be delivered, it is almost exclusively at the discretion of the owner. That is to say, the cruising lifestyle is a personal choice and therefor any cost associated with it are at the exclusive discretion of the owner and the consequences of this discretion cannot in anyway be considered a hardship.

Despite this fact I have encountered any number of crew wanted threads posted asking potential crew to pay expenses including transportation and food. I have even seen a few that include "other expenses" which are not defined.

While I recognize any delivery crew experience is worth it's weight in gold for those interested in developing their skills, I don't agree with charging crew to do for me what I consider a favor. I consider delivery expenses to be a consequence of my choice to live the cruising lifestyle and accept them wholly.

Others may see things differently and they will likely have many different reasons why. Hence the poll.

Cheers!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, delivery