Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 07:13   #1

Boat: Morgan 30 Classic
CPA/Accountant working remote..

Yes, I know there are a lot of threads about working remote but it's a lot to wade through. My specific question is who among us are working as a CPA/Accountant fully remote from a boat? Focusing on East Coast US, I know the jobs are available, how realistic is this from a live-aboard sailboat?
Thanks.
Dave
Dpackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:26   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: CPA/Accountant working remote..

Depends if you're asking about clientele (whether new customers or existing customers) and how to support them... or, are you asking whether it's feasible from a technology aspect (Internet connectivity, WiFi, cellular data, laptops, a server running applications, power for all devices, etc.)

If you're asking about clientele... then I don't think it matters unless you had clients coming to YOU in the past. If you work remotely or you go to THEM, then it's fine. A post office will always be within a short drive, a UPS/FedEx location may also be an option, and for everything else you can have a car parked somewhere, a rental car, or Uber/Lyft/taxi.

If you're asking about the technology... it depends on where you'll be living aboard. In a marina with a strong marina WiFi? On anchor/mooring isolated from everyone else? Either way, video conferencing has jumped leaps and bounds in the past nine months or so. A reliable and strong Internet connection is pretty much everywhere except if you go offshore. For power, you'd need something for your electronics... do you really need a desktop? A laptop with an extra monitor can give you a dual-screen setup that a lot of people in normal offices don't have. As for an application server (Windows Server 2019, QuickBooks server, etc.), you can always rent it out from Amazon AWS.

I think it's feasible and something that I'll be striving for in the future... for now, I already work about 20-25% from my boat. I teach Math and Physics remotely via Zoom and FaceTime. It works great! Albeit, I am in a marina and always have shore power and a strong Internet connection.

Good luck and go for it! I'm positive you'll love it and get some new experiences under your belt.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:22   #3

Boat: 45f5

I work as an accountant and most (90%) of my clients are no where near me and so they are serviced by email, zoom, phone, etc. If I can reduce load and sort out the logistics/operational side of having a functional mini office in the boat, that is where I will be heading as I dont think the client servicing side will be an issue.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:27   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

One issue to consider is licensure. If you are not licensed in florida (for example) but are living their part time, you need a limited license.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I am a real estate consultant and will be moving onto boat more full time this coming summer.... last year was a break in year and hope to do more from away this summer.. I have lap top, printer/fax/copier and all access is through my phones hot spot. Clients are established however figure if I have to go on an appointment I can rent a car and take a rod trip for a day or two.....
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 13:43   #6

Boat: Southerly 57

It really depends on your clients. Do you have a book of business that is good with it? How are you going to get new clients if you are mobile? Licensing is an issue for a CPA - can you get reciprocity? Most of the work can be done remotely if you have good internet. If you are looking for full time work, I imagine it’s tougher to be mobile. There probably is contract work available, but it might be hard to find. Having a specialty probably helps.
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 13:44   #7

My wife has a book keeping business and a starting a home based business website/blog or something lol IDK (I don’t think I can promote it here ). Anyway we are planning to live aboard and cruise full time very soon. I’d think CPA work would be an easy one to do remotely, especially as Starlink is set to go mobile within the next couple years. The big hurdle is finding reasonably priced health insurance.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, work