Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 14:44   #331

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Dang Dude, let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
Get a bigger boat and maybe you won't feel so "confined."

PS,
Your knack for rationalization is not only impressive, but pugnacious like the pit bull who grabbed me by the arm ~40 years ago. The owner advised me to punch him in the head as hard as I could to make him let me go. I refused at 1st, but after awhile with dog slobber all over my arm, I had no choice but to do as I was instructed.

It worked.
Sounds like you don't understand dogs very well. (whereas I understand and know them very well)

I don't plan to move to a larger boat until I sail the Chesapeake from bridge to bridge then Round the Outer Banks

That is unless I could find something like a Twister 28. This is the type boat I want.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/twister-28

Then I'd like to sail to Pensacola, FL where I used to race and I might even sail over to Horn Island and Ship Island off the Mississippi Coast about 15 miles which is where we used to race on beach cats a couple times per year.

Then I'll make a decision on whether or not I want to go cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitch Va Beach.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	226406  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 14:48   #332

Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Nope, when the standard is between 62 and 67...by no common standard is 69 early.

Because some can't or won't retire earlier, doesn't make it early.
Okay, but I'm just going by those in my profession which is pretty easy on the bod while at the same time keeping the mind sharp.

We electrical/electronic/computer/cyber techs don't usually destroy our bodies doing our jobs. We are much more lucky than some that have a harder more physical job.
Old 03-11-2020, 16:01   #333
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I've never retired, because I have never worked!
Everything I have done in my life was because I fell in love with that vocation.

University was never work, because I'm curious

Crewing on tugs and commercial ships was never work because I wanted to learn from the Pros.

Yacht and ship deliveries empowered me to command.

Designing and commanding super yachts was the pinnacle of my satisfaction at sea working for owners who became like family to me

Transitioning at 50 to living at a dive resort was not retirement but a chance to come down from the heady heights of a billionaires lifestyle to a normal pace with fringe benefits of a beautiful native girl and diving from my doorstep

Buying stargazer and enjoying her was not a dream, but and extension of my life and a need for horizon choices

Enthusiasm for life, maintaining that thirst for knowledge and keeping a high standard of detail in whatever you do or learn, is the antidote for any change in lifestyle fears.

Simply put, if you are doing something you love, it is not work and if you are good at it, the money will always follow until you dont need any more,

... Then you should change path and challenge yourself some more!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 16:08   #334

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Okay, but I'm just going by those in my profession which is pretty easy on the bod while at the same time keeping the mind sharp.
Again... rationalization doesn't make things true.

Just because "you know someone who..." doesn't make it the standard or reality.
Not for retirement age and not for your jaded/negative view of cruising based on a couple others who left and returned or never left at all.

The only real question is, WHY you keep wasting our time with these details that have nothing to do with the thread topics:
- Early Retirement
- Reactions from people who have been out cruising

You've admitted to not (and possibly having no interest in) doing either... so why keep posting here??
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 16:33   #335

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Everything I have done in my life was because I fell in love with that vocation.

Crewing on tugs and commercial ships was never work because I wanted to learn from the Pros.

Designing and commanding super yachts was the pinnacle of my satisfaction at sea working for owners who became like family to me

Transitioning at 50 to living at a dive resort was not retirement but a chance to come down from the heady heights of a billionaires lifestyle to a normal pace with fringe benefits of a beautiful native girl and diving from my doorstep

Buying stargazer and enjoying her was not a dream, but and extension of my life and a need for horizon choices

Enthusiasm for life, maintaining that thirst for knowledge and keeping a high standard of detail in whatever you do or learn, is the antidote for any change in lifestyle fears.

Simply put, if you are doing something you love, it is not work and if you are good at it, the money will always follow until you dont need any more,

What a great post, Pelagic, and IMO shows a life well lived. Good onya, mate!

Jim
Old 03-11-2020, 16:47   #336

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:

Good for you!!
I seem to keep learning a similar lesson... taking projects for free because I simply love doing them, and then watching them somehow also turn into money.

You however raised the bar significantly by also doing that focused on the water, boats and diving!

Well played indeed!!!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 20:06   #337

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sounds like you don't understand dogs very well. (whereas I understand and know them very well.
You know every dog on the planet? I've met people like you before... and walking away is the best recourse.

My humble apologies to the OP and other worthy participants for this waste of bandwidth, I'm out.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 21:54   #338

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Interesting - both my wife and I were senior executives and both of us loved our jobs - we enjoyed them so much that we would have done them for free (don't tell anyone).

We weren't stressed, even though we worked long hours. We walked away when I was in my early 60's and she was in her mid 50's. We could easily have amassed much more money (why?).

We love our boat bum life. My wife says she has never regretted pulling the plug - not even for a second.

If your cruising becomes a project - meaning you put yourself and your energies into it - then you won't regret.

Don't forget - the saddest words are: It might have been..................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:27   #339

Quote:

Well put.

Thanks for posting.

I did University as an adult at 1/2 time, about 8 years. (GI Bill) I quite enjoyed it also. Major was History (of Technology from like the stone age to present day) Finished/graduated in 1988.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:36   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Interesting - both my wife and I were senior executives and both of us loved our jobs - we enjoyed them so much that we would have done them for free (don't tell anyone).

We weren't stressed, even though we worked long hours. We walked away when I was in my early 60's and she was in her mid 50's. We could easily have amassed much more money (why?).

We love our boat bum life. My wife says she has never regretted pulling the plug - not even for a second.

If your cruising becomes a project - meaning you put yourself and your energies into it - then you won't regret.

Don't forget - the saddest words are: It might have been..................
This is what I plan to do ........ as I said I have certain goals to accomplish first locally within say a 250 mile range of here both inside (ICW) and and on the Outside with a look at the Gulf Stream.

Then a quick trip back down to the Redneck Riviera (Florida, Mississippi, Alabama Gulf Coast) then decide if cruising is for me and pick a new destination say the Leeward Islands maybe.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:29   #341

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5

I haven't quite gotten there yet, so I will let you know. I did a 6 year search for the right boat, I have purchased the boat, and now I am working at a post-retirement job to save a little more money before fully retiring.
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 14:00   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post

Just because "you know someone who..." doesn't make it the standard or reality.
Not for retirement age and not for your jaded/negative view of cruising based on a couple others who left and returned or never left at all.

The only real question is, WHY you keep wasting our time with these details that have nothing to do with the thread topics:
- Early Retirement
- Reactions from people who have been out cruising
No one is wasting your time except you.

My plan is to cruise and retire earlier than some.

You are a beginner sailor/cruiser just learning to sail and be on the water.

I've been at it for many years and mostly without any instruments at all. No VHF, no depth finder, no compass even until recently.

You learn a lot that way.

I'll never forget trying to find Beaufort Inlet off North Carolina back in the day ('76) when way offshore and low on gas in my 17' power boat and finally seeing a white shape with a wake come out!
Old 04-11-2020, 14:05   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
You know every dog on the planet?
No, I don't know every dog on the planet and don't need to. I know dogs and had about as many of them as I've had boats (12).

There's rarely a reason to hit one like you said you did. That's just lack of understanding.

Even now when I run with my son's dog and he hits his long distance stride with his tongue hanging out it reminds me of the dogs I had that stayed with us when we were on our bikes as kids. They'd follow us everywhere no matter how many miles......they'd just hit their long distance stride and stay with us
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mitch at Kiptopeke.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	226436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitch on the Farm Road.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	226437  

Name:	Mitch 2016.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	226438  
Old 04-11-2020, 14:08   #344

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 14:23   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Bust heads?

I don't think that works these days ......

Fight Club video removed. Lou's place.

Tags
cruise, cruiser