Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 11:01   #91

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Ten degrees down by the bow

The beach at Cobourg is underwater. I was there a week ago, and the water was a few inches higher due to a strong south wind. Today was calm. Pictures attached. This beach is usually huge, and a big tourist draw to the town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170602_191736.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	149104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170602_191747.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	149105  

Name:	20170602_191935.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	149106  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:10   #92

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Here are a few pics of Kingston Yacht Club. The service dock is completely underwater (the fuel pump has been removed). The marine railway is half submerged...and can be seen below the ducklings...attached pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170601_105852.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	149107   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170601_105859.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	149108  

Name:	20170601_110110.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	149109  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:05   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The beach at Cobourg is underwater. I was there a week ago, and the water was a few inches higher due to a strong south wind. Today was calm. Pictures attached. This beach is usually huge, and a big tourist draw to the town.
I was there last August. The meat orgy (Rib Fest) was going on. Thought I had walked into a Mad Max movie. Lovely harbor and while I'm not much for beaches that was impressive. Walked along the sidewalk on that beach enjoying the scenery. Hopefully the rain will stop and levels can return to a more normal state. I know I'm getting tired of dodging flotsam in the lake. Thumped a good sized log yesterday. Nice acoustics as it bounced along the bottom. Glad I have a thick hull from yesteryear. I don't know how these paper thin hulls would fare with all the junk floating.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:14   #94

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Save Our Sodus | Protect, Preserve and Improve Sodus Bay posted aerial photos of Sodus Bay and the damage caused by the high waters. There are three blocks of photos, so keep scrolling down; though B/W on the main page, they are in color.

While some damage is not obvious to non-locals, some of it will be crystal clear- such as the homes now on the brink of going over the bluffs into the lake. Also, the barrier beach (Crescent Beach) is breached in three places, with 5 or 6 electric poles gone, so there's no power out there.

Note the waves rolling right over the east breakwall, stirring up the bay. The breakwall was undermined before, I can't imagine how destroyed it will be after this.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05   #95

South shore prepare for destruction in 3...2...1...

NE up to 15 knots today, NW up to 15 knots on Thursday. Good chance we'll see mother nature remove a cottage or two. For those in creeks and rivers, watch out for the surge.
Old 06-06-2017, 19:30   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
South shore prepare for destruction in 3...2...1...

NE up to 15 knots today, NW up to 15 knots on Thursday. Good chance we'll see mother nature remove a cottage or two. For those in creeks and rivers, watch out for the surge.
I was watching that on the news tonight. The pictures of Sodus Bay and the Crescent Beach area are humbling. The floating debris is going to be ridiculous for some time to come.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:17   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
I was watching that on the news tonight. The pictures of Sodus Bay and the Crescent Beach area are humbling. The floating debris is going to be ridiculous for some time to come.

Last week my daughter pulled a meter-long section of telephone pole from the bay- can you imagine an outdrive hitting that?

There's also "available" a very nice section of dock, about 40' long with a 16' x 16' deck on the end, the whole thing looks freshly painted and sealed. It's washed ashore at Sodus Point, having come from somewhere else on the bay.

We pulled a piece of plastic from the bay, it looked like the bottom to a dock box, but I couldn't ID the owner or type of dock box. Darned if two hours later we're talking to a friend who is leaning on his dock box and it has the same base as that we just pulled out. Hey, if you need a spare dock box bottom...

US Army Corp of Engineers says water level will drop a full 3" over the next month. I don't know if I'm buying that. Either way, the water level will still be .8 meters above norm.

It's going to a catastrophe when we high hot weather and they lift the speed limit in the lake, the go-fast boats are going to be destroyed with all the flotsam.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:59   #98

Quote:
Last week my daughter pulled a meter-long section of telephone pole from the bay- can you imagine an outdrive hitting that?

There's also "available" a very nice section of dock, about 40' long with a 16' x 16' deck on the end, the whole thing looks freshly painted and sealed. It's washed ashore at Sodus Point, having come from somewhere else on the bay.

We pulled a piece of plastic from the bay, it looked like the bottom to a dock box, but I couldn't ID the owner or type of dock box. Darned if two hours later we're talking to a friend who is leaning on his dock box and it has the same base as that we just pulled out. Hey, if you need a spare dock box bottom...

US Army Corp of Engineers says water level will drop a full 3" over the next month. I don't know if I'm buying that. Either way, the water level will still be .8 meters above norm.

It's going to a catastrophe when we high hot weather and they lift the speed limit in the lake, the go-fast boats are going to be destroyed with all the flotsam.
I saw three cruisers going all out Saturday, one of which was about a mile offshore. I'm certain the jet skis will be in the news regularly this summer. One boat came in a few weeks back from Wilson with both outboards destroyed by logs. I'll be in Sodus Saturday at 9:00 at the Village Hall on the point if your interested. Stop by and say hi. Joe is the name.
Old 07-06-2017, 13:00   #99

Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:42   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
I saw three cruisers going all out Saturday, one of which was about a mile offshore. I'm certain the jet skis will be in the news regularly this summer. One boat came in a few weeks back from Wilson with both outboards destroyed by logs. I'll be in Sodus Saturday at 9:00 at the Village Hall on the point if your interested. Stop by and say hi. Joe is the name.
Hi Joe, thanks for the invite. We're tied up in the morning, so won't get to Sodus until noon at the earliest. May skip Saturday all together, since we have no boat to sleep on. We will be there Sunday.

We'll catch up some time!
Old 15-06-2017, 11:10   #101

FINALLY! My boat is in. Two months later than expected.

Water is still flush with the dock. No fresh water, no power. But beats weekends at home- does it ever suck sitting there on a warm night- I've a great view at home, but it's not at sea level.
Old 16-06-2017, 03:43   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Lake Ontario levels unleash a flood of cross-border bickering - Canada - CBC News

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 07:31   #103

Last week I was very happy to see the water level on the south shore of Lake Ontario had dropped about 3". At least the dock surface was dry.

So imagine my surprise when I returned to the boat on Friday to find the water level had come back up! When I left yesterday the NW wind was driving the water over the dock. Ugh.

Marina says water will have to drop 15" to turn on power. Army Corp predicts a drop of 4" by 23 July.

Ran into one of the floating cottagers (big power boat owners whose boats never leave the dock) and he wanted to know if the marina was issuing refunds.

I'm now planning on a summer without AC power at the dock- which means no reason to sit at the dock!
Old 26-06-2017, 08:25   #104

Quote:
Last week I was very happy to see the water level on the south shore of Lake Ontario had dropped about 3". At least the dock surface was dry.

So imagine my surprise when I returned to the boat on Friday to find the water level had come back up! When I left yesterday the NW wind was driving the water over the dock. Ugh.

Marina says water will have to drop 15" to turn on power. Army Corp predicts a drop of 4" by 23 July.

Ran into one of the floating cottagers (big power boat owners whose boats never leave the dock) and he wanted to know if the marina was issuing refunds.

I'm now planning on a summer without AC power at the dock- which means no reason to sit at the dock!
I noticed on the breakwall it was down slightly. You could always come out to Oak Orchard with the floating docks. Power, water, wifi, etc. A bit of a drive but it could rescue the summer. I am heading to Toronto on the 9th and Marina Quay West says no power there. No biggee for me as I don't have much need for shore power. Got pasted again yesterday by the Tstorms that came through. Was headed into the harbor under storm jib when the worst hit. 43 knots peak wind recorded at Olcott. Layed her right down on the close reach. Ya freaking hoo. Released the jib and hauled it down since it was shaking the rig pretty good. Lesson learned: Don't carry any sail above 35 knots unless going down wind. Downwind not an option in the channel however. Folks with me thought it was awesome and will post some pictures when I get home today.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:16   #105

I keep hearing that the lake level has dropped "four inches" and even "six inches" but my eyes say two inches at best.

A couple days ago we anchored over the sand bar in 7' of water where normally there might be 3'.

Sodus still has no diesel. Katlynn and Krenzer's no fuel. Arney's at the north end has gasoline, water, and pump out. Power-hungry powerboats have gone to Oak Park marina in the south end.

A Hobie 16 sailed through the breach in Crescent beach. Some cottages on Crescent beach are still in water- I can't imagine what that does to flooring.

Fairhaven: Pleasant beach- no docks, no power, no nothing. Yacht Club south dock is a floater, has power & water. Marina at the north end purportedly has diesel.