Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2017, 16:14   #76

Re: Ten degrees down by the bow

I put mine in yesterday in point breeze. The travelift ways were under about 8 inches of water. No hindrance to its use though. Putted gently upstream to my marina where they have lifted some of the docks above water. There definitely was some junk coming down the creek, including what appeared to be someone's stash of stove length firewood. Drifting down one piece at a time. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170520_174902.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	148154
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 10:18   #77

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Went to check out Sodus yesterday. The highest fixed docks are now flush with the bay, everything else is under water. Dock power is off.

The strong south breeze was driving the bay over the breakwaters which are normally several feet above water level.

A fisherman reported seeing a floating tire/wheel and a 20' log. Said there's all sorts of flotsam in the bay and lake.

A local reported that marina docks have been submerged for so long that the 2x4s use for the decking are expanding into each other and buckling, meaning many docks will have to be repaired.

The road through the Sodus Point business district is closed. Army reserve brought in some huge, impressive pumps. Still sandbagging.

Check out this video. There used to be 25+ feet between the house and lake https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...79924992_n.mp4

I still haven't launched, primarily because the weather stinks. I've been ready to go in since early April.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:23   #78

Thanks for the update Cu Mor Glas. I heard second hand that Gatlin wasn't launching. Where are you located? I saw one boat go up yesterday toward the OOYC. Chatted with a guy who came in from Sodus on Sunday. He wasn't pleased with that one dock with steel pipes across from Gatlens. He came in after dark Saturday night and the lights are apparently off that mark it.
Don't blame you a bit Tetepare. I am the only boat in from out meetup group. Blasted cold and bouncy is an understatement. Sick of using my handkerchief sails. On the plus side I can tell which crew people are good in a blow and which will turn green. The amount of debris from decks, docks and trees is ridiculous. And to think the DEC jumped on me for mowing the grass in my backyard on Sandy Creek but build some monster deck over the water and that's fine.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:33   #79

Gatlen ran it himself for me. He was raising the dock on the old four cs side. Paused to splash me and then got back to it.

I'm up the creek a bit at Wiley's now. Gonna get some stuff sorted and then get my mizzen up.

Not surprised the lights are off on that private dock. It looks like their shorepower is under water. I'd throw the breaker from the top of the ravine and wait till June.....

There was a tree jammed mid channel between the bridges Saturday. Kayaked downstream on Sunday and got it free of the bottom and dragged it over to the county dock and cleated it off. Probably stop there after work today and see if it can be hauled out.
Old 28-05-2017, 18:35   #80

Sodus is up an inch SINCE FRIDAY! Friends with boats on the hard built a bar, a cover from an old sail and are carrying on on the hard. The group made a small yacht club in the boat yard and when I was leaving other boaters were arriving with cheese and crackers. You can kill the sailing but not the spirit
Old 28-05-2017, 18:44   #81

Across the creek from me the oak orchard yacht club jacked up their docks yesterday and turned the power on. It's lots less dark down here now today several people splashed and settled in to the ooyc. About an even mix of power and sail. One of them has a bilge pump running ten minutes on 4 min off. I can t see it but I can hear it. Grrr.
Old 29-05-2017, 04:33   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Sodus is up an inch SINCE FRIDAY! Friends with boats on the hard built a bar, a cover from an old sail and are carrying on on the hard. The group made a small yacht club in the boat yard and when I was leaving other boaters were arriving with cheese and crackers. You can kill the sailing but not the spirit
What a great idea. One of the boats in our meetup group is launching this week at Katelyn's. He is tired of waiting. I'll be up there June 10th for the Partners in Command Seminar at the village hall. Get the crew ready in case I wheeze out or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cu Mor Glas View Post
Across the creek from me the oak orchard yacht club jacked up their docks yesterday and turned the power on. It's lots less dark down here now today several people splashed and settled in to the ooyc. About an even mix of power and sail. One of them has a bilge pump running ten minutes on 4 min off. I can t see it but I can hear it. Grrr.
I went out Saturday and watched the same water for 4 hours. Boe ring. About 5 sailboats out there sitting still for the most part. Sunday was glorious if a bit chilly. Went out to the downbound shipping lane to watch some ships. Visibility was crap at about 2 miles but it was sure a lot of fun. Heading out at 11:00 today for a few more hours. Should clear off by then and an offshore wind is predicted.
Old 29-05-2017, 09:43   #83

We were out for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon - first sail of the year. Was nice and brisk. Not that many other boats out.

The list of L. Ontario clubs who are closed or only with limited operation is putting a real crimp in the cruising plans of most people.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 16:56   #84

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I was in Cobourg today. The wonderful, large beach, which is a feature attraction of the waterfront, is completely submerged. The water goes up to the raised walkway, which which usually separates the beach area from the RV campground adjacent. The RV's now have waterfront lots. The walkway was dry when I visited today, but I'm told that when the wind picks up, the waves carry right over the walkway.

Also, our local high school has a tradition of "beach day", the first monday of June. On this day, most students skip school and go to the beach. All local beaches, including sandbanks, are currently submerged. No word on what the students will do as an alternative...this has never happened before.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 16:57   #85

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

At KYC the fuel dock is completely underwater.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 10:25   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
Partners in Command Seminar at the village hall. .
What's this? I used Google and can find nothing of it.

Rochester Gas & Electric has a bucket truck out on the spit (Crescent beach). Rumor is it they were going to run power back out to (now island) Charles Point. My buddy called a contact at RGE and they said not there to run power they are there to satisfy DEC by removing the transformers that are in the water from when the poles went over.

NY governor and midget-in-charge was in NW Monroe county making lots of noise. Said he was going to take on IJWC. This will be interesting- democrats fighting democrat. In the end nothing will happen, the little people will continue to suffer.
Old 30-05-2017, 13:34   #87

[QUOTE=Tetepare;2403292]What's this? I used Google and can find nothing of it.

I think it is through the Sodus Bay Captain's Association. Or join the group for fun and frolic sharing our adventures around the big puddle: https://www.meetup.com/Point-Breeze-...ailing-Meetup/
Old 03-06-2017, 05:10   #88

Here are some archived photos of previous issues along Lake Ontario prior to Plan 2014. 1952 and 1973. Some folks is a bit slow to catch on I guess. This is Edgemere Drive in Greece, NY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakwall repair.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	149083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Edgemere Dr 1973.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	149084  

Old 03-06-2017, 05:32   #89

Boat: Rafiki 37

Nice pics. We humans sure have a hard time with large time scale events. How easily we forget…

I was up the mast yesterday and took a few pics of our little marina. Water is still overlapping the outer dock wall here in Belleville (Stillwater Marina). You can see the flooding in the upper left corner. There have been big carp swimming right up on the lawn there (eating the duckies I presume), and the lower houses are all sandbagged.

Water levels seem to be relatively stable this past few weeks down here, staying around the 1.6 metre (above datum) levels according to Kingston’s official monitoring (Zone - Tides, Currents, and Water Levels).
Old 03-06-2017, 06:09   #90

Get down from there Mike. You want to break your neck or something? Is it selective memory or willful ignorance? Inquiring minds want to know.