Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 15:30   #31

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Spring is coming - When's your launch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Summer is approaching here in Central America, which means rainy season here in Panama...lots of rain, lightening, and light winds...will be putting the boat to bed soon to recommission in "winter" months to start our cruising season! 😉
Further north in Central America gets into rainy season AND hurricane season.
So, opposite to those in Norte America, down here we launch in "winter" months and stow for summer.

Mucho uvea here in Rio Dulce. Someday I want a nice set of tarps.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 15:34   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Mucho uvea here in Rio Dulce. Someday I want a nice set of tarps.
Get Tom (Cayo Quemado Sails & Rigging) to make you some up. There is a PVC coated fabric available there that holds up quite well.

BTW...its spelled "lluvia". 😊
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:33   #33

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Get Tom (Cayo Quemado Sails & Rigging) to make you some up. There is a PVC coated fabric available there that holds up quite well. BTW...its spelled "lluvia". 😊

I think it's actually cooler in the summer here. "Mucho lluvia" might be the reason. It helps to be at a marina with a pool
Springtime down here is the end of cruising season. Boats come back in April and May. Slim pickings for dock space by June.
This year it's more crowded because of the hurricane damage to the east Carib and lots of boats ended up here instead. I can tell they're all hot to trot and get north again. Good luck, the northers start at the end of hurricane season.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:38   #34

Boat: Stevens 47

We just hauled out 4 days ago in Grenada...our Stevens 47 will be more than ready come the end of November when we return to the Caribbean.....just the opposite of what we used to do with our Bayfield 29....I miss the Great Lakes, but I sure don't miss the cold.
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:39   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I think it's actually cooler in the summer here. "Mucho lluvia" might be the reason. It helps to be at a marina with a pool
Springtime down here is the end of cruising season. Boats come back in April and May. Slim pickings for dock space by June.
This year it's more crowded because of the hurricane damage to the east Carib and lots of boats ended up here instead. I can tell they're all hot to trot and get north again. Good luck, the northers start at the end of hurricane season.
I enjoy rainy season on the Rio. Used to look forward to it when I spent my off seasons there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 09:59   #36

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Its been a horrible spring trying to get the boat ready. Our launch will probably be late May up in Georgian Bay
UPDATE: Launched yesterday up in Georgian Bay Victoria Harbour.....YEA !!
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 12:54   #37

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Launch? No, it's time to put the sunshade on and haul her. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180523_152532.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	170360
Old 24-06-2019, 08:09   #38

Another lousy spring and late launch this year. Heard on the news that this year was the worse Spring in terms of weather in the past 25 years. So we did finally launch a few weeks ago only to have it hauled out again due to a bent prop shaft. This happened late last year when I got a rope around the shaft. Survey concluded that I need a new shaft, new cutlass bearing, new strut and new shaft flange at the transmission. Well $6K later I hope to re-launch this week just in time for our Canada Day long weekend. Keep your fingers crossed !!
Old 24-06-2019, 13:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
So we did finally launch a few weeks ago only to have it hauled out again due to a bent prop shaft. This happened late last year when I got a rope around the shaft. Survey concluded that I need a new shaft, new cutlass bearing, new strut and new shaft flange at the transmission. Well $6K later I hope to re-launch this week just in time for our Canada Day long weekend. Keep your fingers crossed !!

Ouch

One year when I was working for a marine mechanic, I saw the result of a similar accident that caused most of the same damage PLUS some torn motor-mounts. I think that one ended up around CDN$15k...

(I would come home and hug my outboard after seeing bills like that )

Best wishes for a sunny, breezy and trouble-free season.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 16:25   #40

Boat: Tasman 26

We are in the middle of our winter in Australia... Still sailing, Sundays race was 10 knots, top temp of 14 degrees Celsius, water around 19 degrees, but a 90% chance of rain. Stayed dry during the race, but got smashed by 20 mm in 20 minutes when putting her back on the hook.
Perfusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 16:36   #41

Boat: Mirage 35

Well, we launched a month later than last year but have at least been able to get out. But friends from the New York side of the lake (L. Ontario) have warned us that many of our possible destinations still have limited or no availability because of high water. We saw it in Picton - PEYC found a spot for us but half of their docks are inaccessible and there's no power available at the docks.

Interesting side note - there seem to be no bugs so far this year. Always the optimist, I assume that's because they all drowned, but maybe they're just running late like everything else.
Old 24-06-2019, 17:32   #42

Boat: Newport 28

Two months into our official season from opening date at the marina (Fair Haven, NY - Ontario) , and I'm still on the hard, and still in 6 inches of water most days. There was hope I might have gotten in this past week, didn't happen. Saturday there was a slight stuck issue with the travel lift moving another boat, so that probably doesn't bode well for myself. Granted, I think the ground is harder beneath mine but there still needs to be some things moved around to get to mine. Not much you can do about mother nature but sure is frustrating when there's nothing you can do but wait while the season slips further away. Other boats are going in, it's just a slow process.
Old 24-06-2019, 17:36   #43

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

We launched 3 weeks later than last year.

Due to the high water level on Lake Champlain, there was a 5 mph limit for all boats!
Old 24-06-2019, 19:41   #44

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Still haven’t launched so I’m spending the time replacing through hulls and all hoses. Oh well
Old 25-06-2019, 08:08   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Ouch

One year when I was working for a marine mechanic, I saw the result of a similar accident that caused most of the same damage PLUS some torn motor-mounts. I think that one ended up around CDN$15k...

(I would come home and hug my outboard after seeing bills like that )

Best wishes for a sunny, breezy and trouble-free season.
I forgot to mention new motor mounts as well.