Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 09:58   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 345
Re: Oswego to Federal Lock Troy, NY

Done the entire canal 3 times and it's about 5 days unless you plan to sightsee. First trip I was waiting at the lock for it to open tied to the wall, then make a long days run and tie up for the night at the closed lock and spend the night and be first ready to lock in, when it opened. Make sure you carry spare fuel for the entire trip as fuel stations may be scarce. And days will be short.
Sail Away 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:04   #17

Boat: Alberg 35

Forgot to mention in my earlier post: Don't plan on running in the canal after dark. There is no lighting and it's easy to stray from the channel and run aground.
alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:33   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley View Post
Forgot to mention in my earlier post: Don't plan on running in the canal after dark. There is no lighting and it's easy to stray from the channel and run aground.
I concur most definitely
Sail Away 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 11:41   #19

Boat: O'Day 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley View Post
I learned about the canal after dark while pushing a dump scow back to Oswego years ago. One of the crew was on the bow of the scow in an easy chair with some pork chops on his Hibachi. I was steering back in the tug with the radar on a half mile range. Being a bit tired I didn't bother to check the chart. There was a fork in the canal and I opted for straight ahead. Huge blunder. The channel went right and a dredge spoils area was straight ahead. Within minutes a dead tree appeared dead ahead in the searchlight beam. The crewman seeing this ran to port then starboard then opted to leap down into one of the hoppers. Crash the tree exploded with pieces raining down on the scow. The Hibachi erupted in a font of sparks. The crewman asked what in hell I was doing? I calmly explained stopping for the night. Satisfied with the answer he took a fire axe and proceeded back to the bow and chopping up firewood from the now obliterated tree he retrieved his pork chops and finished cooking them over a campfire he had built from the firewood.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 14:13   #20

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOS View Post
Two days, biggest hang up is lock time. If you have any concerns about your engine, probably should have it looked at or consider a small outboard and some sort of Mount in case it fails you.
This is just not possible in a 27 foot sailboat. From Oswego to Troy is roughly 150 miles. That's 75 miles a day. The locks are only open from 7 AM to 5 PM.

There are about 30 locks to transit. Each lock takes about 20 minutes on average if all goes well and the timing is right. That is 10 hours of lock time alone.

Five days is a better estimate if you start in Oswego at 7 AM.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 16:43   #21

Boat: O'Day 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
This is just not possible in a 27 foot sailboat. From Oswego to Troy is roughly 150 miles. That's 75 miles a day. The locks are only open from 7 AM to 5 PM.

There are about 30 locks to transit. Each lock takes about 20 minutes on average if all goes well and the timing is right. That is 10 hours of lock time alone.

Five days is a better estimate if you start in Oswego at 7 AM.
Thanks Dave. I know the engine is very reliable. I am a chicken shazit depending on iron wind. I have kept it in top condition but it is still 44years old. Compressions all above 115 and almost no oil consumption. Fuel system with electric fuel pump are all new as of 2012. Never had a hiccup out of it even motoring over 12 hours. I also counted 30 locks and I think you are right that 5 days looks about right. Doesn't leave much left for canal issues. A few of the locks have been closed for a day due to mechanical issues. There was also a notice about a tree across either the entrance or exit from Oneida Lake. Little things like this can add up.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 18:18   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Done Oswego-Troy 40-50 times.
3-4 days depending on if you need a second cup of coffee in the morning.
Old 24-09-2020, 19:26   #23

Boat: Beneteau, First 405, 40

I am currently in Brewerton heading to Oswego Saturday. Came west on the canal in 4 days (weekends) and agree 5 days is possible if no problems encountered. The locks closing at 5PM does slow things down as I always seemed one lock away from the slip I reserved. I took 4 days from Waterford to Brewerton. East of Utica they have dredging equipment and about 5ft water if you get to the edge of the channel. Ilion municipal marina is open and had fuel. Saint Johnsville was closed and heard they closed early due to fuel spill or something. Little Falls has a great municipal marina but no fuel. Very nice facilities and awesome people. Lock E17 was impressive 40ft. Arrowhead marina in Scotia/Schenectady was open, no restrooms but a porta potty. Glad I kept 10 gal diesel on deck as alot of marinas have closed for the season.
daddio862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 07:29   #24

Hi daddio862,

I'm wondering how the Troy/Albany end of your passage went. I live in Troy and am buying my first boat. I'll likely have to navigate the locks while I refit her before sailing down the Hudson never to return.
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 07:59   #25
Marine Service Provider

OOps sorry there are bridges at Albany .... I had forgotten
Old 19-01-2021, 08:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No locks betwen Troy and Albany (or the Atlantic) other than the one at the north end of Troy.
Perhaps I won't have to take my mast down after all. I was worried I'd have to find a marina on the Mohawk but there's one on the Hudson just north of Troy (Lock One Marina).
Old 19-01-2021, 08:18   #27

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
Perhaps I won't have to take my mast down after all. I was worried I'd have to find a marina on the Mohawk but there's one on the Hudson just north of Troy (Lock One Marina).

Once you're south of the Troy lock, it's clear all the way down to NYC. No locks in between. Mast-wise, from NYC up to the Dunn Memorial Bridge just below the railroad bridge in Albany, you're clear to 130 feet or better. The Dunn bridge is 60 feet. The railroad bridge only has 25 feet of clearance when closed, so you'd need to have it opened. You'd also need the Green Island Lift Bridge opened (29 feet closed). Just below that is the Congress bridge at 55 feet, which is the lowest bridge south of the Troy lock.

Basically, if you can fit under a 55 foot bridge, you're fine from the Troy Lock to NYC with the mast up. Taller than 55 feet and you'll have to have the mast down for the portion above Albany. Once you get above the Troy Lock, bridge clearances won't be enough for any sailboat with the mast up.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 08:19   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
There is a bridge about a mile north of the Troy lock that would reqiure dropping the stick as it's clearance is only 20'.
Old 19-01-2021, 08:21   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
There is a bridge about a mile north of the Troy lock that would reqiure dropping the stick as it's clearance is only 20'.
Google map, satellite view Troy NY
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tr...!4d-73.6917851
Old 19-01-2021, 08:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Once you're south of the Troy lock, it's clear all the way down to NYC. No locks in between. Mast-wise, from NYC up to the Dunn Memorial Bridge just below the railroad bridge in Albany, you're clear to 130 feet or better. The Dunn bridge is 60 feet. The railroad bridge only has 25 feet of clearance when closed, so you'd need to have it opened. You'd also need the Green Island Lift Bridge opened (29 feet closed). Just below that is the Congress bridge at 55 feet, which is the lowest bridge south of the Troy lock.

Basically, if you can fit under a 55 foot bridge, you're fine from the Troy Lock to NYC with the mast up. Taller than 55 feet and you'll have to have the mast down for the portion above Albany. Once you get above the Troy Lock, bridge clearances won't be enough for any sailboat with the mast up.
Great, that's good info to know.

I found the phone numbers to call to open both bridges. How much noticed do I need to give the bridge operators, and does it cost anything?

Btw I'm a photographer and I have to say the Green Island Bridge is one of my favorite bridges to shoot. It's got a brutal, brooding melancholy. Somewhat artsy photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190320-_LMT1542.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	230666