Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 01:50   #1

Boat: O'Day 27
Oswego to Federal Lock Troy, NY

Good morning all. Now that the transfer of ownership has taken place, the new owner is interested in transporting the boat via the Erie Canal to NYC. He has asked me along which due to my situation is impossible. That said I am curious if it would even be feasible to transit the Erie Canal from Oswego to the Federal Lock in Troy, NY before the canal closes for the season. The canal is closing Oct 14th this year due to postponed maintenance activities. Anyone make this trip and how long did it take. Doesn't seem prudent given the short time available. This is a sailboat so no chance of taking advantage of the higher speed areas.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 02:16   #2

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Oswego to Federal Lock Troy, NY

ODay 27? Go for it or put it on a truck.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 03:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Should be easy. A matter of days (not weeks).
Erie Canal Distances, Speed Limits, and Transit Times
https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruisin...-distances.php

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 03:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Should be easy. A matter of days (not weeks).
Erie Canal Distances, Speed Limits, and Transit Times
https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruisin...-distances.php
Thanks GordMay. That's looking like it is possible. Prudent, well that's another issue. I read through all the NYS Canal System Notices and Alerts. Egad the problems with Clinton's Ditch that could result in delays seem to rule out prudent for a sailboat travelling 5.5 knots. Good information to have just the same. Thanks again for the information.
Old 23-09-2020, 04:13   #5

Boat: Pearson 424

I did that trip in a Catalina 30 back in 2012 and it took us 3 days. That was at the beginning of May so the locks we running from 7am to 5 pm.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 04:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
I did that trip in 2012 and I think it took us 3 or 4 days. That was at the beginning of May so the locks we running from 7am to 5 pm.
Thanks Spindrift. From what you and GordMay provided that is pretty solid. I haven't run the canal since the 80s from Oswego to Lyons, NY. Dam dark at night so running without a searchlight is begging for issues. There is the issue of going from Point Breeze, NY relaunching, it's in the cradle with mast down, building mast crutches and motoring to Oswego. All this is dependent on the engine performing flawlessly. It should but one can never be certain. The worst case scenario is an unexpected delay occurs and prevents reaching Troy by the 14th and having to haul in Bugahaw, NY. Of course I realize if you look for an excuse not to you will always find one but with the window closing fast and no plan B available, well.
Old 23-09-2020, 04:36   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Took us a week from Oswego to nyc. And that included a day layover to raise the mast in catskills.
You shouldn't have any problems as long as the boat is sound and the locks are working
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 05:18   #8

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

Even if you can only motor at 5 kts, you should be able to do it in under a week. Figure realistically you have 10 - 11 hours per day of usable travel time depending on your stopping points (most locks are open 7 AM to 5 PM).

As a worst-case bailout plan if you determine part way through that you can't complete the run for whatever reason, there are tons of haulout facilities, etc. in Brewerton (basically down the Oswego Canal plus 2-ish hours east on the Erie Canal).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 06:07   #9

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II

Done Oswego to the Hudson perhaps ten times. Not a problem. Helps a bit to get through a lock at the end of the day and tie up on the far side. You can get an early start the next day before the locks open.
Old 23-09-2020, 06:37   #10

Thanks all. I won't be making the trip as other commitments preclude me from doing so. I will relay your very helpful information to the new owner. His boat his choice.
Old 23-09-2020, 08:09   #11

Boat: Catalina 375

Did it lazily in 4 days. The big day is in Albany with if memory serves right 7 locks in a row. Someone else mentioned Brewerton. Yes and many more like that although I was impressed they had a Mercedes loaner car when I was there. If I did it again I would better plan sleeping spots. Seems we were right beside train tracks for freight all night and highways as well. I 90 I believe. Biggest excitement for us was a deer diving into the water in front of us and crossing the canal. Boring other than that but this time of year the leaves would be nice.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:17   #12

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

If you read the fine print in the canal closing notice, it says all boats must be out of the canal by Oct 14. So, to allow for some bad weather, Enter the canal by October 8.

The one area where weather can be a problem is Oneida Lake. If there is a strong wind with a west component the lake can be very rough, with 3-5 foot waves. Less common is the same issue with a easterly wind. The lake is about 20 miles long which provides a long fetch. I lived on the lake for 10 years and got to see it in all its pleasant and nasty times.

The only other weather issue is a hurricane or tropical storm. When these hit upstate NY the Mohawk River section can flood and the canal will close.

3 to 5 days seems to be the usual transit time.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:31   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

Two days, biggest hang up is lock time. If you have any concerns about your engine, probably should have it looked at or consider a small outboard and some sort of Mount in case it fails you.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:42   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOS View Post
Two days, biggest hang up is lock time. If you have any concerns about your engine, probably should have it looked at or consider a small outboard and some sort of Mount in case it fails you.
Also, there are plenty of marinas along the way where you can probably be hauled out and repaired or store until next season if engine fails. I

I would go for it. The canal is easy travel and colors should be beautiful. Rome NY has a dock and mariner pavilion, Walk in distance to historic Fort Stanwix and restaurants. Most cities along the way also have at least a public dock. Utica has a restaurant right on the canal. Herkimer and Illion also have docks.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 09:56   #15

Boat: Alberg 35

I just did the trip from Watkins Glen to the Hudson River in 5 days in early September without any issues. The key is to stay flexible and not sweat over a delay and to take advantage of the situation when you simply "make good time."
alley is offline   Reply With Quote