Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 18:53   #1

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Transient Dock or mooring for 50 foot catamaran,

We're going to be in Lauderdale/Hollywood/Miami area from Dec 12-18, and would like to rent either a dock for GRIT, or a place near an anchorage to tie the dinghy. We have an air draft of 73 feet, so we can't get under bridges with GRIT.

We live and cruise aboard full time, but do not require electricity/water. We're just looking for a quiet place where we can get to shore for exercise and shopping.

Fees are negotiable. I'm thinking $300 for GRIT or $50 for the dinghy.

Thanks for your time.

Paul.
Old 04-12-2021, 19:18   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Transient Dock or mooring for 50 foot catamaran,

You could try the Dinner Key mooring field.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 19:41   #3

Thank you.

I called and they said they were filled.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 04-12-2021, 19:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Fort Lauderdale mooring balls at Las Olas Blvd. may be an option. North Lake in Hollywood for anchoring.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 20:10   #5

Thanks for your contribution.

Unfortunately, the mooring balls at Las Olas bridge have been removed. (According to the Las Olas Marina, the moorings were removed mid-October, 2021) I have not gone in person to confirm.

I am presently anchored in North Lake, and was in South lake last week. Apparently, the city of Hollywood has passed laws that dinghies cannot tie to the public docks (boat ramps). There are some restaurants in the area where you can tie the dinghy for a while, but I'd prefer something else. I've been creative with the dinghy until now, but we'd prefer something less "clandestine" for a week.

The local marinas are uninterested in dinghy dockage. I think the local liveaboard population has soured the marina's will to rent space for dinghies.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:51   #6
smj

You could always make the long trip down to Marathon. City Marina has dinghy dockage and plenty of space to exercise, including a park next door with tennis courts, basketball courts etc.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:31   #7

Hi SMJ, thanks for your contribution.

We're headed to the Bahamas for Christmas, and Marathon is quite far out of the way for the time we have. My wife flys into Ft Lauderdale on the 11th.

How is Marathon, these days? I've only been there once, back in the 1990s, and it was not really my cup of tea. It looked like the last waypoint for derelict boats and the disenfranchised. It was a sad sight, and somewhat depressing.

I'm happy those folks had a place to go, and that they presumably weren't hounded by folks telling them how to live, but I had a hard time bearing witness to the squalor many of them were living in.

I'd like to say I hope it's improved; but I'd then have to wonder where they all went and how were they displaced.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:43   #8
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Hi SMJ, thanks for your contribution.

We're headed to the Bahamas for Christmas, and Marathon is quite far out of the way for the time we have. My wife flys into Ft Lauderdale on the 11th.

How is Marathon, these days? I've only been there once, back in the 1990s, and it was not really my cup of tea. It looked like the last waypoint for derelict boats and the disenfranchised. It was a sad sight, and somewhat depressing.

I'm happy those folks had a place to go, and that they presumably weren't hounded by folks telling them how to live, but I had a hard time bearing witness to the squalor many of them were living in.

I'd like to say I hope it's improved; but I'd then have to wonder where they all went and how were they displaced.

Cheers.
Paul.

Ah the 90’s, back when Boot Key was the Wild West of anchoring. Marathon now has a sizable mooring field filled with mainly cruising boats/ snow birds. There are still a few derelict boats and some used mainly for low income housing, but low income in these parts mean sub $80k a year! Not everyone’s cup of tea but we still enjoy it, but then we enjoyed it back in the 90’s as well!
To sum up,it’s cleaned up and probably more civilized than what it was, and definitely safer than Miami.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:51   #9

Hi SMJ.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like I should add Marathon to my list of places to revisit. The 1990s is the last time I ventured into the florida keys, and we've been talking about going back to Key West and the tortugas. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:22   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Check email
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Thanks for your contribution.

Unfortunately, the mooring balls at Las Olas bridge have been removed. (According to the Las Olas Marina, the moorings were removed mid-October, 2021) I have not gone in person to confirm.

I am presently anchored in North Lake, and was in South lake last week. Apparently, the city of Hollywood has passed laws that dinghies cannot tie to the public docks (boat ramps). There are some restaurants in the area where you can tie the dinghy for a while, but I'd prefer something else. I've been creative with the dinghy until now, but we'd prefer something less "clandestine" for a week.

The local marinas are uninterested in dinghy dockage. I think the local liveaboard population has soured the marina's will to rent space for dinghies.

Cheers.
Paul.
I've been in and around Hollywood Marina since 2007. As far as I know the Marina has never rented space for dinghys. Hollywood it's no longer a friendly place for boaters. You are no longer even allowed to launch a kayak over the sea wall. The keys are much more friendly
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:56   #12

Boat: EDELCAT33

If anything else fails, you can always anchor at marine stadium. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8941.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	249354
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
If anything else fails, you can always anchor at marine stadium. Attachment 249354
Thanks for your input. But I don't know of anyplace nearby to put the dinghy. The beach where everyone brings their dogs to poop is not what we're looking for.

I'm probably just as good where I am now.

I know most of the anchorages in this area, and none are much better than where we are now, which is why I wanted to know if anyone has a dock they'd like to rent for a week.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 05-12-2021, 13:16   #14

Transient Dock or mooring for 50 foot catamaran,

Looks like the coast guard has been clearing boats out of the cove in the Marine stadium area. There are a bunch of boats now anchored just outside that nice protected cove.

Hurricane harbor is my favorite pick for short stays. Not sure how long you could stay there without getting the boot.

My keel is 5’ 8” and don’t have any issues getting in. Only the entrance is a bit shallow at about 6’ 5” but the inside is over 10’.

Good holding in a protected area, surrounded by mansions. I recommend it for as long as your allowed.

When coming in, stay a bit towards the north side of the entrance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638738980.178736.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	249365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	249366  

JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 14:46   #15

Thanks JCREEFER, I appreciate you sharing that info.

Thanks all for your replies, and ideas.

We're going to stay in Hollywood, and perhaps leave for the Bahamas a little earlier. We'll see what happens with this system coming this week-end.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
catamaran, dock, mooring