Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2021, 10:53   #1

small winch

I'm looking for one small winch (#8 thru #16), single speed, self-tailing, with driveshaft accessible from the bottom. I will be adding a motor for DIY conversion to electric. "driveshaft access" is somewhat subjective, but the important thing is the ability to drive it from below without too much tear-up. Here is a good example of that in a Lewmar6, where it looks like a winch handle tip could be welded to a shaft that then sticks out the bottom side

Application is for furling up staysail/genoa which can almost be done by hand, but in some difficult cases electric assistance would be nice.
Sketch:
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 13:08   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: small winch

Perhaps you have considered this, but our response to the problem was to buy and use a 28 V Milwaukee right angle drill and an adaptor that plugs into the TOP of any winch on the boat. It has been very successful over the past 8 years. Perhaps not as convenient as proper electric winches, but for less than 500 bucks it made fiscal sense that even I could see!

Jim
Old 20-11-2021, 14:08   #3

Hi Jim, I did see that idea, and it's definitely the cheapest way to go. I'm hoping to end up with something similar but without having to heft a drill around, thus the idea to permanently mount something underneath. I also happen to have the space available under the deck but above the ceiling panels, otherwise unused.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 19:28   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

You might check with Andersen winches.

I have an Andersen 12ST with an underdeck drive/handle, but it seems they don't sell them anymore. I bought mine 18 years ago. However, it might be possible to modify a regular 12ST your self, or get parts from Andersen to make the change.

Andersen still makes an underdeck winch, but only a non self tailing model now.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 19:47   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Perhaps you have considered this, but our response to the problem was to buy and use a 28 V Milwaukee right angle drill and an adaptor that plugs into the TOP of any winch on the boat. It has been very successful over the past 8 years. Perhaps not as convenient as proper electric winches, but for less than 500 bucks it made fiscal sense that even I could see!

Jim
Jim, if by chance you see this, will you post a link to the adaptor you use with your drill?

Thank you

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 20:05   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
I'm looking for one small winch (#8 thru #16), single speed, self-tailing, with driveshaft accessible from the bottom. I will be adding a motor for DIY conversion to electric. "driveshaft access" is somewhat subjective, but the important thing is the ability to drive it from below without too much tear-up. Here is a good example of that in a Lewmar6, where it looks like a winch handle tip could be welded to a shaft that then sticks out the bottom side

Application is for furling up staysail/genoa which can almost be done by hand, but in some difficult cases electric assistance would be nice.
Sketch:
One thing I've noticed on electric winches is that the electric drive won't work when a winch handle is inserted on the top. (the winch handle presses a button inside which cuts off the electric drive). This is a safety measure, to prevent the winch handle from spinning when the electric drive is running, which could be dangerous.

So, if you weld a socket on the bottom of the winch shaft it seems that it would defeat that safety measure.
Old 20-11-2021, 20:13   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Jim, if by chance you see this, will you post a link to the adaptor you use with your drill?

Thank you

Sam
Sam, this is the one I use, but there are several other models on the market:

https://www.thecranker.com/

Jim
Old 21-11-2021, 05:27   #8

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
One thing I've noticed on electric winches is that the electric drive won't work when a winch handle is inserted on the top. (the winch handle presses a button inside which cuts off the electric drive). This is a safety measure, to prevent the winch handle from spinning when the electric drive is running, which could be dangerous.

So, if you weld a socket on the bottom of the winch shaft it seems that it would defeat that safety measure.
Yes, but if the OP's intention is to drive solely from the bottom side, there wouldn't be a winch handle mounted on top.

Mine is operated (cranked) from the bottom, and while there is a socket on top, I never have a handle inserted there.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 07:26   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sam, this is the one I use, but there are several other models on the market:

https://www.thecranker.com/

Jim

Thank you Jim

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote