Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 17:51   #16

Boat: Catalina 36' Mk II - Uff-Da!
Send a message via Skype™ to sandyb
Re: Sailrite LSZ-1

I'm just getting ready to sell my sailrite. We moved off of our sailboat in 2016, and used this fantastic machine for a few projects. It's in like new condition but it's been a while since I've opened it up and remember all of the details. I have several attachments that were really helpful like the binder. Even though I haven't used it or needed it since leaving the boat, it's got a lot of nostalgia - it was a dream come true to own one! Even now, I cringe at the idea of selling it. And I keep thinking it's so fun to work with that surely there must be a land lubber project I want to do? It's been five years now and nothing has come up. I took great care of it - like a baby; it did pretty light duty; several sail repairs and saved us more than we spent, as well as having the ability to do repairs and make seat cushions when the canvas shop was swamped. It's about brand new. Anyway, our kids live in Northern Virginia and we plan to be up there at the end of June. (we're in Alabama now) If you're in the market and interested, let me know before I list it next month. I think shipping it would be very expensive - it's a beast weight wise.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 18:42   #17

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Pm sent
Dchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:36   #18

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.T.Gross View Post
I too have been searching, and frustrated by the prices of a preowned machine being so close to price of new. Then, I heard of the "Barracuda" Having read the reviews we have decided to go with one of those. They are a Chineese clone of the Sailrite. Here's a link

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/s...caAgIJEALw_wcB

And a link to a review

https://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2018/...sailrite-lsz1/
Did you end up buying the Chinese made Barracuda? If so, are you pleased with it?
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 15:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb View Post
I'm just getting ready to sell my sailrite. We moved off of our sailboat in 2016, and used this fantastic machine for a few projects. It's in like new condition but it's been a while since I've opened it up and remember all of the details. I have several attachments that were really helpful like the binder. Even though I haven't used it or needed it since leaving the boat, it's got a lot of nostalgia - it was a dream come true to own one! Even now, I cringe at the idea of selling it. And I keep thinking it's so fun to work with that surely there must be a land lubber project I want to do? It's been five years now and nothing has come up. I took great care of it - like a baby; it did pretty light duty; several sail repairs and saved us more than we spent, as well as having the ability to do repairs and make seat cushions when the canvas shop was swamped. It's about brand new. Anyway, our kids live in Northern Virginia and we plan to be up there at the end of June. (we're in Alabama now) If you're in the market and interested, let me know before I list it next month. I think shipping it would be very expensive - it's a beast weight wise.
Hello Sandy,
I saw your post about potentially selling your sailrite. Did you ever sell it? I am near Baltimore myself and looking for one to make some curtains for my boat. I am actually in Havre De Grace up the Chesapeake Bay....
If you don't mind shooting me an email if you do, I would appreciate it!
wesley8808@gmail.com

Thanks!
Wes
wesley8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 16:02   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ Wes,

If all you're going to make is curtains, any household sewing machine will do that for you. You don't even need zig-zag (although there are applications for it). If the plan is to go on and make sail covers, cockpit cushions, and weather cloths, the former is still true.

However if you want a nice quality, sturdy tool that would let you install your own UV cover on a sail, the LSZ-1 would do that. But it is basically for heavy fabrics. It will not allow you to sew a silk undershirt. Both the fabric is too fine, and the needles, too small. I didn't realize i was giving up my home sewing jobs along with my Pfaff 130, when I got my LSZ-1, and I do miss the old machine, although the walking foot is brilliant, and I like that for canvas work.

Ann
Old 21-01-2022, 17:19   #21

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@ Wes,

If all you're going to make is curtains, any household sewing machine will do that for you. You don't even need zig-zag (although there are applications for it). If the plan is to go on and make sail covers, cockpit cushions, and weather cloths, the former is still true.

However if you want a nice quality, sturdy tool that would let you install your own UV cover on a sail, the LSZ-1 would do that. But it is basically for heavy fabrics. It will not allow you to sew a silk undershirt. Both the fabric is too fine, and the needles, too small. I didn't realize i was giving up my home sewing jobs along with my Pfaff 130, when I got my LSZ-1, and I do miss the old machine, although the walking foot is brilliant, and I like that for canvas work.

Ann
+1
I am making my curtains and then cockpit cushions (as per Sailrite video) on my Singer 99K, vintage 1958.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 17:42   #22

Boat: C&C 34

Ann, if you ever get another home machine check out the Pfaff Freestyle 610 it has a small walking foot which really works out great. They were built around 2000. Metal gears inside.

The walking foot can be retracted and use on lightweight fabrics. Good for indoor cushions, curtains and the such. It will go through a few layers of sunbrella pretty easy, but the stitch length, needle/thread size are really not big enough for regular use on canvas.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 12:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@ Wes,

Ann
Thanks for the feedback. My wife does a lot of embroidery (she used to work in an boardwalk shop back in the day) and we have a Brother PC8500D embroidery machine that I could install a walking foot on and give it a whirl.

I need to be able to stitch through isinglass (or something similar) and the sunbrella fabric. Think that will work?
wesley8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 13:40   #24

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

First of all, get some seamstick tape, available from Sailrite, or Sailmakers supply https://www.sailmakerssupply.com/ (cheaper). Even if you use a walking foot machine, it makes life a lot easier. I think even professional sailmakers, like Hyde, use it. A good source for the Yamata Family Sew 9" machine is Zamirsew https://zamirsew.net/family-sew-port...ng-arm-fs-388/. I lucked out and found a hardly used one on ebay, or I would bought one from them.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:30   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley8808 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. My wife does a lot of embroidery (she used to work in an boardwalk shop back in the day) and we have a Brother PC8500D embroidery machine that I could install a walking foot on and give it a whirl.

I need to be able to stitch through isinglass (or something similar) and the sunbrella fabric. Think that will work?
Sorry, I don't know the Brother you mention. I had my old Pfaff from my Mom, in 1960, and just stuck with it through the years.

CF member <senor mechanico> is very experienced with a variety of machines, and maybe another member can help you. The worst that would befall you if you tried and the needle wouldn't go through your particular layers is that you might screw up the timing adjustment and have to figure that out, too.

Ann

On edit: I have to agree with Bill Seal, above, "basting tape", the double stick tape, makes lots of jobs much easier, especially when you figure out to place it so the needle doesn't pick up the sticky stuff, which means you might play around with seam widths and hem turn-unders till you get it all how you like it.
Old 23-01-2022, 13:02   #26

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I have a Reliable Barracuda with the Big flywheel. It is very good and I recommend them. Great price and parts are available.
Capt D Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 13:52   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter, 34, Sea Ray 26 bow rider

Buy once, cry once.
After 6+ months of searching the used market, and finding an 8 month lead time for canvas work in the area, I just threw down for a new LSZ-1 Premium w Worker Bee motor, etc.
I am a novice. I have already made a tiller cover, Big Green Egg cover (that I just refurbished) a cushion. Now on to furniture covers and then reupholstering my bow rider. Be careful who you tell. You will get work thrown at you. I have 10+ other pieces now to do (console covers, boat covers, sail covers) and I am not in this business.
JGrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 15:31   #28

Boat: Tiburon Cabo Rico 36 Ketch

Did you ever find a Sailrite machine? I have one I'm fixing to sell.
Stacie
Trisailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 04:34   #29

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
First of all, get some seamstick tape, available from Sailrite, or Sailmakers supply https://www.sailmakerssupply.com/ (cheaper). Even if you use a walking foot machine, it makes life a lot easier. I think even professional sailmakers, like Hyde, use it. A good source for the Yamata Family Sew 9" machine is Zamirsew https://zamirsew.net/family-sew-port...ng-arm-fs-388/. I lucked out and found a hardly used one on ebay, or I would bought one from them.
Wish I had seen this before buying my used LZ-1 Sailrite, which still cost more than this, new!
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 06:52   #30

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
I was surprised when I read this as Sailrite has always had the best prices around. So I checked.
Sailrite has 3 different grades from standard to super-premium. They explain exactly what each is and best applications. Along with a nice intro to seamstick page. And a video. And they are a few cents cheaper. Sailmakers Supply has one "do-all" type. I remain a devoted SailRite fan.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite