Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2021, 12:47   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 46
Sailrite LSZ-1

Retiring this Spring (finally), and thinking about upcoming projects.

Looking for relatively new model - Version 2 or Version 3 - Sailrite LSZ-1.

Can pick up if close to Northern VA, otherwise will have to ship.

Thanks.
jdecris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 02:39   #2

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot
Re: Sailrite LSZ-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecris View Post

Thanks.
i've been shopping for the same. I have just about decided to buy new. Prices I've found for pre-owned are too close to new. Good luck in your search. If you find someone with two, keep me in mind.
W.T.Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 13:06   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tobago 35

I looked for what seemed like forever and just bought a new one. Never regretted it for one minute! Great machine!
treehouse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 13:03   #4

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecris View Post

Thanks.
I too have been searching, and frustrated by the prices of a preowned machine being so close to price of new. Then, I heard of the "Barracuda" Having read the reviews we have decided to go with one of those. They are a Chineese clone of the Sailrite. Here's a link

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/s...caAgIJEALw_wcB

And a link to a review

https://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2018/...sailrite-lsz1/
W.T.Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 13:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.T.Gross View Post
I too have been searching, and frustrated by the prices of a preowned machine being so close to price of new. Then, I heard of the "Barracuda" Having read the reviews we have decided to go with one of those. They are a Chineese clone of the Sailrite. Here's a link

And a link to a review

I'm familiar with - at least online sites and reviews - a lot of the other walking foot portables.

Family Sew, Tuff Sew, Mini Brute, Omega, Sew Line, HD Sew along with Reliable.

One thing that's interesting is that many of the other brands offer a longer arm - 9" - where Sailrite only offers the 7" opening in the LSZ-1 and LS-1.

We like to refer to them as "Chinese clones" - but of course the Sailrite machines are also made in China.

I've also been looking at some of the older machines - the Singer 15-91 the Kenmore 158.480, the Morse 4300. There are videos on YouTube showing them sew through 6 layers of Sunbrella without any problem or strain. The Pfaff 130 is another one, although maybe not quite as powerful.

And... there's also of course the more industrial rated machines - Consew 206RB-5 and the Juki 1541S. And they are not much more cost than a full Sailrite LSZ-1 package - and although not portable - include a table and Servo motor with speed control - and are really in a class above.

Anyway... still looking around, and I suspect I'll land on something that feels right to me soon enough.

In any case appreciate all the comments / feedback.
Old 28-01-2021, 13:57   #6

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I just bought a new LSZ1. You will have to be lucky or patient to come across a used one. I researched a little and ultimately what sold me on the Sailrite was the service aspect. You can probably get a machine of equal quality for less. But I doubt you can get the service Sailrite offers. For the casual/DIY user I feel their service and dedication to us DIYers is worth a few extra hundred dollars. I got the unit in the travel case. So far I love the machine and what I have made with it. It does seem like a very well thought out system.

DIY tip-If you are buying it to sew cushions with piping definitely, without question buy the cording pressure foot. The one that comes with the machine will sew piping with its built in cording tunnel but it is a challenge. The cording foot is cheap and makes life A LOT easier IMO.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 15:27   #7

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

There's a reason for Sailrites reputation for quality. First off, Sailrite does not manufacture sewing machines. They're a sail kit company, they manufacture sail kits. But they are dedicated to providing a reliably high quality sewing machine. I had a long talk with the guy that runs Sailrite. He told me that there weren't any machines available that were made with a high enough level of quality control. So Sailrite buys their machines from the best company they could find. When they receive them they disassemble every machine, inspect it, rework it and adjust it to make it right. That's what you're paying for, and it's why their rep is so good.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 15:29   #8

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I am tight as hell and looked for a long time. Used machines are close to new price. Shipping without Sailrite's commercial advantages usually eats up a good part of the difference. The only advantage might be some extras that sometimes come with a used machine. I wound up buying new, something I try to avoid.
Night before last, I used my LSZ-1 to sew my wife's horse's hay bag. Multiple layers of overlapping heavy nylon webbing. I had to force it under the presser foot, big needle with V92 thread. Sewed it no sweat. If I can get it under the foot, it will sew it. I bet it would go thru 4mm plywood. Love my machine. Worth the money.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 15:31   #9

I once emailed them a question on a weekend and the owner called me himself that Sunday to talk me thru the process.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:42   #10

Boat: Amel Meltem 53' (in the Med)

I may sell my lightly used LZ1 (never been on a boat, always in the house). I need to buy a 220v one. What is the average price for a machine with 10-20 hours on it? It has several options: the tilting arm, the monster wheel, spare needles, and a hard case.
I am in the San Francisco area.
Gibbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbay View Post
I may sell my lightly used LZ1 (never been on a boat, always in the house). I need to buy a 220v one. What is the average price for a machine with 10-20 hours on it? It has several options: the tilting arm, the monster wheel, spare needles, and a hard case.
I am in the San Francisco area.

Gibbay,

I'm the original thread poster, and just sent you a PM with a note and my contact info. Please give me a call. Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-02-2021, 07:40   #12

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.T.Gross View Post

And a link to a review

==============================================
thank you for those links,like the comparison between them.
bought the Barracuda from Amazon as a refurbished few years ago and have to send it back 2 times until finally the 3rd time got it right.
Used only at home, made a Jib and a Main for a 20 ft boat so the sails were small,bought the kits as pre cut panels from Sailrite and also converted a hank on jib to roller furling adding the tape.
Have made side curtains to enclose the cockpit,patched up bimini and dodger,lee clothes to keep people safe when sleeping under way,weather canvas sides for the cockpit.some patch up work for my old jeep canvas work and many small little projects.
Made a SailPack for my current boat with a 12 ft boom following SailRite videos and instructions,I always buy all my needs from Sailrite because their service and do not mind paying a little extra for materials.,they deserve and earned my support.

I dropped the machine coming down from the upper floor and bouncing on the stair steps and wall,have to take it to the shop and they put it back together with some straighten bend parts.
To make work easier have a folding kitchen table and made a cut out on it to set the machine and made working a lot easier.
Like she describes is a tractor,will go thru as many layers as the foot will allow.
Regrets? well always long for the Sailrite but am cheap.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:18   #13

The initial outlay for the Sailrite is higher but the long term cost of ownership is negligible - given the high residual value for used ones. Then factor in what you're saving by doing repairs yourself.

I was quoted thousands for my interior cushions project. Paid for the machine that project did.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:19   #14

I have found Sailrite's prices to be very competitive on most things. Their sail kits seem to be expensive, however, especially compared to a finished sail from the Far East.
Old 02-02-2021, 14:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Can't say much about the LSZ-1 except sometimes I do want to buy one. They are noted do not come up used very often and when they do they are priced near new.

I do have Sailrite Sailmaker. This is their version of the Brother TZ1-B652. It is a real workhorse and weighs a ton. It just works.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite