Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 20:09   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Sailing and Mental Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by honor628 View Post
I am going to beg to differ. At the age of 45 I laid in bed wanting to die. I emailed in my "take this job and shove it", laid in bed and prepared to die. The best thing that ever happened to me was becoming homeless and starting therapy. I have been a functioning bi-polar person my whole life and went over the deep end. In intensive day therapy I had an encounter with someone who was visiting to share her story. He words of getting in touch with your unbroken self. It is my mantra now. I started swimming and sailing again. That was 4 years ago and since then I have swum several open water races, 2 were marathon swims, I race on a sailboat over the summer and am now the proud owner of a 27' Columbia sailboat. YES I do get triggers by the daunting task of refitting the boat but I have tools to get through this. Sailing and swimming have kept me alive. I admit I do struggle with motivation to get it done but every time I don't let my brain talk me out of doing something, makes the battle shorter the next time because I learn that it is just my disease trying to win.

If you are interested in following to see if I "crash" or this whole mind body thing and unbroken self is the answer you can follow my FB page, www.facebook.com/UnbrokenSelf .

I do get that it is NOT the answer for everyone but for many. I am planning on offering free sails to anyone suffering with addiction or mental health once she is in better condition.

SAIL ON!
yes...but you didn't go from your bed wanting to die to sailing. You became inspired, sprung into action, educated yourself, sought help and recovered to a point where you became functional. And that is commendable.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 20:31   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

It's a bit funny reading advice here from people without (known) problems to people who have.

It's a bit like seeing a pregnant woman and telling her diet tips.

And the people who profess to know something about these conditions stand in the corner screaming at each other.

Its just funny.

I have a number of friends with 'depression/bipolar etc'. I use '' as they're pretty broad terms, arnt they? Each person is an individual, and each of my friends with it are affected in a different way. Each responds in different ways. So I guess some would not like sailing long passages, but I guess some would relish it, and the further from people the better.
Someone mentioned Crowhurst. Because he did what he did it does NOT mean every person under treatment will do the same.

BTW Winston Churchill was perused by the Black Dog, so don't tell me they can't be very, very high achieving. http://www.bipolar-lives.com/winston...epression.html
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 22:23   #3

I suspect that solo sailing is not good for one's mental health

Check out this guy, he is clearly living life on the edge of sanity

Old 27-03-2017, 03:10   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I suspect that solo sailing is not good for one's mental health

Check out this guy, he is clearly living life on the edge of sanity

Looks sweet and harmless to me
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 03:34   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
It's a bit funny reading advice here from people without (known) problems to people who have.

And the people who profess to know something about these conditions stand in the corner screaming at each other.

Its just funny.

I have a number of friends with 'depression/bipolar etc'. I use '' as they're pretty broad terms, arnt they? Each person is an individual, and each of my friends with it are affected in a different way. Each responds in different ways. So I guess some would not like sailing long passages, but I guess some would relish it, and the further from people the better.
Someone mentioned Crowhurst. Because he did what he did it does NOT mean every person under treatment will do the same.

BTW Winston Churchill was perused by the Black Dog, so don't tell me they can't be very, very high achieving. Winston Churchill and Manic Depression: A fatal curse or the root of his genius? | Bipolar Lives
The problem with being bipolar and sailing singlehanded WAY offshore say 1500 miles is that you never know when the person isn't going to relish it anymore

It's usually cyclic for bipolar folks for some daily but the point is one could totally love sailing and being alone for a while and then suddenly not.

Or he could get a thought going and his mania could start to over analyze said thought and this could cause a problem UNLESS it was something positive like figuring out a way to fix something that is broken on the boat that is needed then he just wears himself out fixing the problem which is a good thing because his energy is now lower and he's back to normal again. The mania side can last for hours or days depending.......

Example: Dr Kay Redfield Jamison who was bipolar used to run circles in the parking lot during multiple 12 hour shifts as an intern when she was on the manic side

Being super manic isn't good when stuck way offshore on a small boat. Then if the mania overwhelms the person he can get so worn down he is then way tired and depressed. Not good either. That's why it's called bipolar.

When I mention Crowhurst, I stipulated that sailing single handed way offshore MAY not be good for those of us that are high energy and have overactive imaginations

On the other hand, if you are a qualified racer, it you could be fine because you'd be spending all your energy and imagination on winning. Same if you are way into repair and maintenance. (or navigation) You can most probably stay busy with repairs and PM's etc in a positive way

Btw, Dr Kay Redfield Jamison's book is called AN UNQUIET MIND for a reason.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 06:58   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Its just funny.

BTW Winston Churchill was perused by the Black Dog, so don't tell me they can't be very, very high achieving. Winston Churchill and Manic Depression: A fatal curse or the root of his genius? | Bipolar Lives
A good post Mark!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 02:24   #7

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:

Its just funny.

Good work mate.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 02:35   #8

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I think those who had the courage to share their health problems, insight or experience here, in a public forum, very encouraging, very special and deserving applause. All those have my utmost respect.
Old 28-03-2017, 12:41   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I think those who had the courage to share their health problems, insight or experience here, in a public forum, very encouraging, very special and deserving applause. All those have my utmost respect.
Well said Hank.
For far too long we don't tell/don't talk about mental conditions that disturb us.

I remember when I was aged 5 to 9, my mother worked at a mental institution in Scotland.

During the summer holidays, she would take me with the patients, when they had an outing to swim in the river.

Being so young, I did not recognize or understand the distrust and fear that the locals showed them. They were just my new friends to play and swim with.
Made me realize how unfair it is that some still stigmatize mental problems while accepting physical challenges.

I found this interesting.

https://www.intrusivethoughts.org/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 12:59   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

This seems to haven gotten a little deep. When working I would shed the vest and jacket and walk a marina. I would single the Piver just for the quiet.
A good vent for frustration. Nuts I don't think so.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 14:00   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I found this interesting.

https://www.intrusivethoughts.org/
Thanks for sharing! I found this very interesting too.

I was thinking about the fact that living the sailing / cruising life gives one a better chance of being accepted by fellow citizens (= other sailors and cruisers). For 'what is normal' is a way broader term here than it is in the regular land life.

So, we are blessed in a way and I think it is a good thing to share this blessing.

Regards,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, men, sail, sailing