Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2017, 12:44   #1

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Pensacola area

Stretching my legs in a couple weeks, weather permitting and thinking of heading to Pensacola to clearer water. Can anyone offer good places to anchor or other cool tidbits? FYI I don't have a tender at the moment, 43 hunter with 64 ft. mast and 4'11" draft. Thanks in advance

Ty
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Pensacola area

Not off hand, but if you are a member of Syc or NOYC Pensacola Yacht Club offers free dock space. I think by policy for a week (or it used to be), but we have camped there for longer depending on their traffic. While there just chat with people at the bar for some suggestions.

There are some state park islands that are really nice, and if you get lucky the Blue Angels will be practicing locally. We have more than once been designated their 'stage' site and watched their entire airshow from the boat. But I think July 4th is the end of their season, and I am not sure if they will be practicing right now.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:42   #3
SFS

You asked about anchoring rather than marinas, so I recommend the east end of Big Lagoon, on the north side of the barrier island Perdido Key. This is actually slightly south and west of Pensacola proper.

With your draft, if you study the charts and watch your depthmeter, I suspect you can get close enough to shore to swim in, which would mean you have something to do even with no dink. There are two places just west of Spanish Point where the water remains relatively deep close to shore. Not much to be found on the key itself but unspoiled natural beauty and a rew ruins of Fort McRee on the eastern end.

If you arrive from the outside, be advised that once inside when you turn to port to follow the ICW westward, that first mile or so can be crowded with barges and recreational traffic, and is a bit narrow.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:20   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Lots of folks like to anchor and hang out around Ft McRee on the west side of Pensacola Pass.

I used to always see masts over there in that protected spot when I was sailing/racing in or out of the Pass

https://www.google.com/search?q=ft+m...88VR42DCEPSSM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ft+m...SlqFwwTExFFPM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ft+m...r-54luEHZA4SM:
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pensacola