Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2023, 18:53   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
Day sail in New Zealand South Island near Dunedin

Good Day All,

I am currently on holiday in New Zealand and did a poor job of researching short charters for just a few hours sail. Almost got on a nice 45’ cat in Wellington but there was no room available.

Currently in Christchurch but it appears Dunedin will be my best best when I get there in about one week. I’ve only got a couple of days there but am hoping someone can guide me. I’ve not had much luck with google. Thanks. I hate to think I came to New Zealand for 3 weeks and never got out on the water. Regardless, what a beautiful country!

Cheers,

Jesse
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 20:11   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150
Re: Day sail in New Zealand South Island near Dunedin

We lived in Christchurch (actually Lyttleton) for 3 years and return frequently. Not sure about opportunities to get out on the water in Dunedin but Picton has many skippered day charters. We did one several years ago, and it was great. The captain, a Kiwi, had sailed the boat from somewhere in Florida to Picton and encountered the worst weather of the voyage in Cook St. Our day out was excellent.

There are also some day charters in Christchurch out of Lyttleton. Blackcat Charters are located there but they use powerboats. They might be able to point you to a sailing day charter.

There is also a Sunday racing crowd in Cass Bay, not far from Lyttleton. But by the time you read this it will be too late to see if anybody needs crew.

There is a yacht club in Sumner and also in Lyttleton. Someone there might be able to provide some advice. Good luck.
Old 18-11-2023, 20:55   #3

Boat: Oyster 56

Lots of opportunities to get out on the water further north. Auckland and the Bay of Islands.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 14:36   #4

Thanks for the responses. Yes, racing would have been nice but as you said, I’m a bit late for that. Unfortunately we won’t have enough time when we get back to Auckland before we fly back. Maybe we’ll get lucky in Dunedin.
Old 19-11-2023, 14:52   #5

Boat: Ganley Timerider
Send a message via Skype™ to Al Walker

Not much in the way of chartering down here I'm afraid, but the Otago Yacht Club have a trailer sailer they hire out to members, you could try calling their Caretaker/Manager on 0274 919 508, he might be able to help.

Otago Harbour is quite shallow, and a lot of it is dry or close to it at low water, but there is a good wide dredged channel. The locals manage fine by going out at above half water.

Would take you out myself, but am changing the engine in the boat over the next few weeks.

Alastair
Al Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 18:27   #6

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

If you are still in Chch, check out Lyttelton. There are harbour tours, including tours on a restored steam driven tug. The harbour is historic - Scott and Shackelton prepared their ships for their Antarctic expeditions there. And even a ride on the passenger ferry over to Diamond Harbour can be interesting. And the place is beautiful like the rest of NZ.

And if you have a few more days in Chch, check out Pohatu Penguins - a terrific experience that can include some sea kayaking. Even a visit to Akaroa only is stunning.

Sorry about the sailing.
Old 20-11-2023, 01:07   #7

Thank you for the lead Alastair. I was able to communicate with the sailing club and have a plan that may get me and my friends on the water.

Thank you Marathon but our time at CC is over as we are heading on the TransAlpine in the morning.

I appreciate all the help.
Old 20-11-2023, 14:18   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, then, did the keas attack your windshield wipers or tire valve stems?????
Old 21-11-2023, 12:56   #9

Jim or Ann,

I had to google what you said as I thought it was New Zealand slang. I had not heard of a Kea until now but will be on the lookout as we are currently in Franz Joseph working our way to Dunedin via Queenstown over the next few days.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jesse

Tags
New Zealand, sail