Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2023, 07:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Drones on vessels

Who are using drones from their boats?
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:29   #2

Boat: IP 44
Re: Drones on vessels

Ive got a nice DJI, but Im afraid to use it because of botching the recovery. At least while underway. Not cheap.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:20   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

I haven't flown it in a while. It is always nerve-wracking when underway. Now I can't even keep up with all the laws/rules regarding their use. It sometimes seems like the middle of the ocean is the only place they are allowed. (As someone who grew up flying model airplanes which are now grouped in and regulated with them, this really pisses me off)

Anyway, this was not a typical "landing" but I do make it look easy here.
https://youtu.be/1fzqpI7kO5w
Old 05-11-2023, 11:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Ive got a nice DJI, but Im afraid to use it because of botching the recovery. At least while underway. Not cheap.
Check out uTube..lots of videos with tips and tricks flying off a vessel.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I haven't flown it in a while. It is always nerve-wracking when underway. Now I can't even keep up with all the laws/rules regarding their use. It sometimes seems like the middle of the ocean is the only place they are allowed. (As someone who grew up flying model airplanes which are now grouped in and regulated with them, this really pisses me off)

Anyway, this was not a typical "landing" but I do make it look easy here.
https://youtu.be/1fzqpI7kO5w
Basically two types of drone users..Recreational vs. Commecial FAA part 107
Old 07-11-2023, 17:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Basically two types of drone users..Recreational vs. Commecial FAA part 107
Just about every city in the US puts rules on top of that, and that only covers the US. Given any random port or anchorage I stop at, there is no easy way to know if usage is legal.

And model airplanes that have been safely flown at private flying fields for decades (like 100 years?) now need to have transponders installed so the government can track them, can't be flown on your own private property, many club fields have been shut down, and it's difficult to impossible for new fields to be built and get FAA approval. More than the drone rules that is what bothers me, because model airplanes are not drones at all.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
More than the drone rules that is what bothers me, because model airplanes are not drones at all.
The FAA: Although being different technically, both RC planes and Drones are considered Unmanned Aircraft Systems and subject to appropriate regulations.

Thus all Recreational UAS pilots must have in their possession the completion of the (very simple) TRUST test.
Old 08-11-2023, 16:59   #8

Quote:
The FAA: Although being different technically, both RC planes and Drones are considered Unmanned Aircraft Systems and subject to appropriate regulations.

Thus all Recreational UAS pilots must have in their possession the completion of the (very simple) TRUST test.
The test is simple, but they also imposed rules on where you can fly them, that never existed before drones got everyone in an uproar. RC Flying fields now need to apply for a FRIA, and not all of them are being granted. And if you have an RC flying field on your private property (not affiliated with a club) you are SOL. The FRIA is only granted to organized clubs, not individuals. It is a hobby that has existed for 100 years, and now onerous rules are being imposed because of concerns over drones.

Model Aircraft, though unmanned, differ from drones in that they generally have no telemetry. A drone can be flowed outside the line of sight (although that is prohibited for recreational use drones are capable of it.) Model aircraft generally do not carry cameras. Model aircraft generally require a large field with a runway, they can't just be flown anywhere. They never needed much regulation, because these fields were maintained by clubs, the clubs had insurance, and they followed rules from the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

Now, since drones have created problems of both privacy and safety as people fly them where they are not supposed to, the FAA has started regulating model aircraft, and requiring fields to be registered as well, and they are not approving flying sites that have been active for decades without any incidents. And I can't (legally) fly my model airplane on my own 180 acre property miles away from a populated area, not near an airport, or any other hazard.
Old 08-11-2023, 19:33   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Check out uTube..lots of videos with tips and tricks flying off a vessel.
Flying off is easy , its the recovery that's tricky.

For the OP. I have two DJI's , a Mavic Pro and a Mini 3 Pro ( the latter is under 250gms so exempt from most rules and restrictions in multiple jurisdictions), not game to fly either off the boat.

If I did want to launch and retrieve from the boat I would buy a cheap second hand DJI Phantom. Not so much money at risk plus the luverly 'bedstead ' undercarriage to make grabbing without the risk of lacerated fingers fairly easy.

Pro tip - ashore or afloat always bring her in for landing 'backwards'. That way all joystick movements are intuitive.
Old 08-11-2023, 19:37   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Meanwhile

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/s9-4D...?feature=share
Old 09-11-2023, 00:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Flying off is easy , its the recovery that's tricky.

For the OP. I have two DJI's , a Mavic Pro and a Mini 3 Pro ( the latter is under 250gms so exempt from most rules and restrictions in multiple jurisdictions), not game to fly either off the boat.

If I did want to launch and retrieve from the boat I would buy a cheap second hand DJI Phantom. Not so much money at risk plus the luverly 'bedstead ' undercarriage to make grabbing without the risk of lacerated fingers fairly easy.

Pro tip - ashore or afloat always bring her in for landing 'backwards'. That way all joystick movements are intuitive.
Yep..currently flying a Mini 4 Pro,( technically over the 250 gram limit with the + battery)now with 3D sensors, but have found a spot on the drone where I can retrieve the drone where the sensor(s) are not active..lower rear by the battery compartment. Thankfully I haven’t exercised DJI’s Refresh plan..yet ��

Thankfully my current location is in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace with lots of open fields to practice in..however my vessel will be with-in Class C airspace but attaining a LAANC on-line approval is relatively simple..but unfortunately the area has been reported active Drone Police..
Old 09-11-2023, 03:16   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Retrieving a drone from a moving boat requires great skill in the drone pilot, and greater skill if he's doing the catching as well. If there's a seaway running, and the wind is gusting, it's even harder. If there's people nearby to injure (I've seen some bad finger injuries), it can be irresponsible.
The most successful boat-drone pilot I know always had someone else catch, so he could concentrate on flying, and even he crashed drones from time to time, and sometimes multiple tries at catching had to be made.
It's really awkward when you're sailing along, flying a drone, and the boat crosses a geofence that the drone will not enter. Had to turn around once or twice to retrieve the machine.
Until they make a function where the drone will home in on a moving target (like an antenna on the boat) when it loses controller signals, and hover a certain distance above it regardless of boat speed or sea state (right now they return to a lat/long, which is not helpful on a sailing boat), retrieving drones from moving boats will be iffy.
Old 09-11-2023, 03:57   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Retrieving a drone from a moving boat requires great skill in the drone pilot, and greater skill if he's doing the catching as well. If there's a seaway running, and the wind is gusting, it's even harder. If there's people nearby to injure (I've seen some bad finger injuries), it can be irresponsible.
The most successful boat-drone pilot I know always had someone else catch, so he could concentrate on flying, and even he crashed drones from time to time, and sometimes multiple tries at catching had to be made.
It's really awkward when you're sailing along, flying a drone, and the boat crosses a geofence that the drone will not enter. Had to turn around once or twice to retrieve the machine.
Until they make a function where the drone will home in on a moving target (like an antenna on the boat) when it loses controller signals, and hover a certain distance above it regardless of boat speed or sea state (right now they return to a lat/long, which is not helpful on a sailing boat), retrieving drones from moving boats will be iffy.
Yep..hit a TFR (tnx Pres.Biden) and auto RTH took over ..be aware of old RTH vs. new RTH location
Old 09-11-2023, 09:03   #14

Catching a drone even from a moving boat can actually be pretty easy.

Hold a large, long handled fishing net off to the leeward side, and “land” the drone into it. With just a little bit of practice, it’s easy, and safe.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Catching a drone even from a moving boat can actually be pretty easy.

Hold a large, long handled fishing net off to the leeward side, and “land” the drone into it. With just a little bit of practice, it’s easy, and safe.
You don't even need a net. Unless there is a large swell with the boat moving up and down, it is pretty easy to fly the drone the same speed as the boat, and "hover" over the deck. Then someone just reaches up and grabs it. If their is a bit of a swell, hover higher, and let the boat rise up to the drone.

See the video I posted upthread, where I am calmly sitting on deck of my boat, I fly the drone to right in front of me, then grab it. I did this flying the drone sideways to get a good camera angle. I'm not a very good pilot and was able to do this. Experienced pilots recommend flying the drone backwards while approaching the boat from the rear because that is easier in terms of left/right orientation.

Most drones if you flip upside down instantly turn off the motors. I know some sailors that have added a stick to the bottom of the drone so they don't get near the blades. I have missed and had the blades hit my hand. It hurts a lot, but did not break the skin.

The biggest "danger" seems to be if you hit the rigging. The drone will instantly fall, and often wind up in the water.