Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2012, 05:19   #31

Re: Various Boat Taxes

All the details on sales/use tax for Florida...

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

And registration...

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 07:43   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
This is our plan but I still have some questions. Need to talk to the St Brendans folks some more cause they were very helpful. Currently we live in MD. We bought our bout 2 years ago in RI and I cant recal but am pretty sure we paid RI sales tax. I dont recall ever paying MD any sales tax and think I would recall that. Boat is CG Documented with our Annapolis MD addess and I recall paying some fees initially to get the documentation but for the past two years I have just been renewing the CG Documentation and paying MD a $10 documented vessle fee to get my sticker. No MD registration, no MD title.

We intend to use St. Brendans for all of our mail and would like to make our official mailing address FL. We intend to cruise outside of the US for winter and who knows where after but do not plan to actually live aboard in FL for any length of time other than maybe a visit.

Im not worried about income taxes but Im wondering if FL will want me to pay sales tax on my boat when I change my CG documentation to show a FL address?

Then theres the dinghy to deal with...
Others have provided helpful answers, but I'll just reiterate so it's perfectly clear...

Being a Florida resident by virtue of a St Brendan's Isle personal mailbox (PMB) address doesn't create any tax or registration fee liabilities whatsoever, if you will be cruising outside the state.

Even if you someday bring your boat into Florida, the state will not charge sales tax nor use tax on your boat or dingy brought as long as you've owned it (and kept it outside Florida) for more than six months, which you have.

I know all this from personal experience.
Old 13-06-2012, 07:56   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Others have provided helpful answers, but I'll just reiterate so it's perfectly clear...

Being a Florida resident by virtue of a St Brendan's Isle personal mailbox (PMB) address doesn't create any tax or registration fee liabilities whatsoever, if you will be cruising outside the state.

Even if you someday bring your boat into Florida, the state will not charge sales tax nor use tax on your boat or dingy brought as long as you've owned it (and kept it outside Florida) for more than six months, which you have.

I know all this from personal experience.
Hud summarized it quite succinctly. One thing I might add, if you do bring your boat to FL and stay here more than 90 days they will require you to register your boat in FL, regardless of Federal documentation, your official state of residence, etc. However the cost is not much. Depending on the age and value of the boat could be from less than $100 to as much as $300 per year. If you own a boat that cost much more than that to registier then you would be in a category where money is not a issue.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 08:47   #34

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hud summarized it quite succinctly. One thing I might add, if you do bring your boat to FL and stay here more than 90 days they will require you to register your boat in FL, regardless of Federal documentation, your official state of residence, etc. However the cost is not much. Depending on the age and value of the boat could be from less than $100 to as much as $300 per year. If you own a boat that cost much more than that to registier then you would be in a category where money is not a issue.
One exemption from FL registration is a foreign (as in outside the USA) documented vessel that obtains a US CBP cruising license. This license would allow you to cruise Florida waters without registering with Florida. Of course, the CBP cruising license has it's own requirements.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 08:55   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
One exemption from FL registration is a foreign (as in outside the USA) documented vessel that obtains a US CBP cruising license. This license would allow you to cruise Florida waters without registering with Florida. Of course, the CBP cruising license has it's own requirements.
Thanks for that. I have been curious about how FL handled foreign registered boats. But since it's not an issue for me never curious enough to research it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes