Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: COLREGS or not ?
I prefer all vessels irrespective of size adhere to COLREGS at all times 49 55.68%
I prefer small recreational vessels keep out of the way of commercial shipping 39 44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2021, 21:59   #1

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Stick to COLREGS or keep out of my way ?

There is another thread going on at the moment with the usual fiery debate about COLREGS

Many argue passionately that a small pleasure vessel should do everything possible to keep out of the way of large ships. Others argue equally passionately for all vessels to adhere strictly to COLREGS

One aspect of this debate caught my attention which is that a number of people argue that ships prefer small vessels to just make their life easy and keep outa the way.

Unfortunately as a retired master class 1 i believe this is simply not so, and i think other professional seamen on CF agree that the vast majority of ships watchkeepers strongly prefer that all vessels to stick to COLREGS

(nb : we are all aware of special circumstances within COLREGS where vessels are restricted in their ability to maneuver and also aware that there are special local rules within ports etc. These are not at issue - we are talking open water)

So i'm starting a poll here. obviously it's honour only but i'm asking that only current or previously qualified watchkeepers for ocean going commercial ships (say > 500grt, deep sea) vote

i think the rest of you will be surprised !

have at it...

cheers,