Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2017, 08:39   #31

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: rules for c&d canal?

Sean,

You may run into a Coast Guard vessel that might discourage you. If another vessel complains to the authorities that you have impeded them the probability of a "vessel inspection" will go way up.

I have been through the canal a few times. Every time we were passed by a USCG vessel as well as commercial craft. Never been stopped by the coasters but then we did not show any sails.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 09:17   #32

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
For this reason, I think sailing and using oars should always be permitted and encouraged in canals, because it can never actually cause a problem.
Never ascribe to wisdom that which is adequately explained by good luck.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 12:53   #33

Boat: Tartan 40

I seldom use the word “never” in cruising. [emoji3]
To the point above I have run out of breeze many times, and have broken an oar and an oarlock once each.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 13:11   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I seldom use the word “never” in cruising. [emoji3]
To the point above I have run out of breeze many times, and have broken an oar and an oarlock once each.
If the wind goes away and you have no engine, can you call TowBoatUS for a tow?
boatman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 13:16   #35

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
If the wind goes away and you have no engine, can you call TowBoatUS for a tow?
And wait two hours for them to show up, sure.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 14:34   #36

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have been through the C&D, and I have sailed outside to Norfolk and then you to Annapolis. I agree with the others and don't recommend you row or coast through the c&d although I think about it many times, for a fun exercise in sailing logistics.

That said:

Prevailing winds are typically from SSW. You need to time your transit through on the trailing edge of a front that brings the winds from the North to NE. Most fronts, when they come through, bring the wind clockwise, sometimes even out of the east. Otherwise, the land effects will make the SW wind too swirly and unpredictable. You can anchor pretty close to the entrance of the canal on the Delaware river and wait. Also, get a copy of Eldrigde coastal pilot and catch the West bound current. Catch a spring tide, as well. This info is in the Eldridge. I would plan to pull off midway at Chesapeake city to wait for the next favorable westbound current. You won't make it all the way out on one tide cycle. There are two places for you to pull off midway. Use an app like marine traffic to catch a glimpse of shipping traffic.

Once you get in the Chesapeake, you would most likely be hard on the wind to Annapolis. There are numerous great anchorages from the Elk river to Annapolis.

As a disclaimer, this is my home sailing region. I don't recommend going through c&d engineless.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 15:30   #37

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

With a favorable current and wind you shouldn't have a problem sailing it. Having a dinghy with a motor would be nice in an emergency. There is some risk but not too bad IMHO. It's really not as busy as some have suggested but the ships WILL NOT TRY to avoid you. If you are in the way you WILL be run over so be prepared to swim for it if necessary. Have a safe trip.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 16:56   #38

Well, here's how I see it. If you attempt this and any ship traffic comes in contact with you, they will report you. If the dispatchers that oversee commercial traffic in the canal area see you (it's their job to....and they're good at it), they are going to report you. Not if, but when you meet the dredge in the canal that's been working by Chesapeake City, they are going to report you. If the Coast Guard has a patrol coming through the Canal (decently often), well, it just saved someone else from reporting you. Unless you wait for the dredge to leave, you're going to get reported and the best outcome is a hefty fine....seizure of your boat, your license (although by your previous knowledge it doesn't sound like you have any real tonnage license), and a worst case, well, the helicopter is hovering out there looking for your body after the ship reported having a collision with a WAFI.

Need I say more?
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 17:08   #39

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I've sailed it in real windy conditions just to get out of strongest winds. I passed ships, was passed by ships, and was never reported. (for what I don't know)
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 18:21   #40

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I'm in cape may now, so getting closer... I'll probably transit pretty soon, but I am in no rush.

It sounds like if I stay along the right side of the canal whenever there is a ship then I won't get in their way. This is what is expected anyway. The rules state that slower vessels keep right, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
That's an entirely unfair characterization. People are giving him advice based on direct experience with the canal. And those who have actually sailed through say while it can be done they would not advise it.
I think mostly the negative advice is from people who have used an engine, but have never used a yuloh. So really this is misinformed.

My question isn't advise anyway, but if it is legal or not. I already know I can navigate it safely without posing a threat to anyone.
Quote:
If everything goes according to plan it would be fine, but if something goes wrong it could be life threatening.
So it is also life threatening to anyone to transit who uses an engine.

Engine failing is significantly more likely than my sails or yuloh failing.

Quote:
He should sail around and up the Bay. Would spare him the slog up the Delaware, which in truth might be more challenging than the canal itself,
I looked at the chart of delaware bay. It looks like there is plenty of space to navigate to avoid shoals as well as stay out of shipping channels. What am I missing? Why is it more challenging?
Quote:
and all the potential stress and dangers listed. If he's gone 9/10 of the way around the world another 150 miles should not be an issue.
Actually the issues have nothing to do with 150 miles, but that I have the right to transit canals just like anyone else.
Quote:
As an aside, everywhere this guy goes he says it's "the worst place he's ever been." Every person of authority is judged to be some corrupt misguided uninformed idiot. Well sometimes the lady doth protest too much and I think his judgement is questioned because he has a long history of poor judgement, or at least posting about it.
Not exactly. I like the authorities in philippines, indonesia, malaysia, and many small island nations. I don't like the ones in US or New Zealand.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 18:46   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

There is Summit Marina a little less than half way through. If need be you could overnight there. Next stop is Chesapeake City basin. So you can break it up.

I’ve never raised sails while transiting but I have seen the odd boat going through with sails up. Now they may have been motor sailing, don’t know.

I have been passed by a large auto carrier, the wake was not that bad, one point of information. I believe they limit things so only one very large vessel is transiting at a time. Guys pushing barges, perhaps even “on the hip” may be your biggest danger, poor visibility.

I would avoid going through on a weekend or holiday. Some “gentlemen” with VERY high power boats like to put them in and run back and forth in the sheltered water. 60+ knots from the noise they make.

We used to stay at the DELAWARE City Marina on an old canal extension on the DELAWARE end of the canal. Unfortunately there is a low clearance bridge which keeps sailboats from accessing the canal proper directly. If you are stuck for a few days waiting weather then DC Marina would be a good place to hole up. It has a small convienced store, a couple of restaurants, and bus service to a supermarket. Elsewise overnight behind Reedy Island before entering.

Best of luck with your venture.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:33   #42

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I looked at the chart of delaware bay. It looks like there is plenty of space to navigate to avoid shoals as well as stay out of shipping channels. What am I missing? Why is it more challenging?

Nothing that some decent weather can't cure.

But a long fetch with some wind directions can set up a chop that's jar your teeth loose... and other directions can roll you side to side more than many prefer. Beating upwind and into the current at the same time will likely make you go backwards.

But in nice weather with favorable winds, I suspect easy enough. Not sure of your speeds versus tide changes, though... something you can check.

FWIW, Lewes, DE, is a nice place to visit wen you're in the vicinity.

-Chris
Old 03-12-2017, 04:00   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Why does anyone need to know that the OP doesn't have an inboard ticking over? Does anyone really think that commercial ship pilots and tugboat captains are petty enough to scrutinize small boats for exhaust? I sailed into the canal before starting the motor--no one pulled me over to gripe, or even bothered to hail.
As for engineless sailing being imprudent, that's just silly. An engineless cruiser is usually just a better one--better than me, certainly, who always have an outboard--but it is amazing where people who are willing to wait for wind and tide can wiggle into, especially if they're as good with an oar as the OP says he is.
I say, OP, go for it: hang your electric outboard out as a decoy, and cruise victoriously. It sounds like you're pretty good at ignoring the naysayers anyway, but I urge you to continue disregarding. You know your abilities. You know the consequences. Cruise on.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:28   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
He is 9/10th of the way around the world in this boat with no engine, but all you keyboard cruisers sure know best
By keyboard cruisers I guess you mean the long term boaters with local knowledge and multiple transits of the C&D canal that have posted on this thread.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:46   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
From U.S. Coast Pilot, Vol. 3, Chap. 7 (C&D Canal), page 211:

(f) Sailboats. Transiting the canal by vessels under
sail is not permitted between Reedy Point and Welch
Point.

I don't find a similar rule for rowboats.

-Chris
Quote:
My question isn't advise anyway, but if it is legal or not.
The very specific and referenced quote above from post #42 seems indicate clearly that it is not legal.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, rule