Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 15:07   #1

Boat: Contrast 33
Redocumenting a newly purchased boat

I bought my current sailboat in November of last year. It had previously been documented by the US Coast Guard as an American Flagged vessel. But the previous owner, for whatever reason, allowed the documentation to lapse 2 years ago. I understand that I can re-document the boat using the paperwork from the previous owner (all of which I have). But the info on the Coast Guard website is anything but clear to me. They have one short how-to page that covers both Recreational and Commercial vessels, with varying endorsements, as well as 3 different methods of re-documenting a boat. It's difficult to understand which requirements and fees apply to my situation.

From what I've gathered so far, I'm either needing a Reinstatement, or a Return to Documentation, which requires a completed application (+$84), and a Bill of Sale (+$8). What I can't figure out is if I need a copy of the Title or State Registration. Those are only listed under "Chain of Title Simplified Method", but I can't figure out if that method applies to me.

Has anyone gone through this process of changing ownership and re-documenting a previously documented boat?
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 16:30   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Redocumenting a newly purchased boat

Give the CG NV Documentation Center a call, they are very helpful.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...-Contact-Info/
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 00:51   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

If they take too long to answer the phone (they seem to enjoy talking, so can spend a while on each customer) you could always simply send in copies of the Title and State Registration with the application. If they don't need the copies, they can discard them. Shouldn't be a problem.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:48   #4

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

I called the USCG a few weeks ago with questions on how to document a vessel for the first time. There website is a little confusing.
I was on hold for 35 minutes before talking to somebody. No worries, I put my phone on speaker and searched around on here while waiting.
They were very nice and helpfull, and explained everything that is required.
sjrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, purchase