Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 10:15   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Countries illegal to sail into with copper paint?

Which countries are illegal to sail into if you have copper bottom paint?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 10:26   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Countries illegal to sail into with copper paint?

Has anybody banned copper?

TBT sure....but copper?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 10:47   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Which countries are illegal to sail into if you have copper bottom paint?
None!
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 10:51   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

why would someone care about your bottom paint and how would they know?
Old 24-03-2021, 11:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
why would someone care about your bottom paint and how would they know?
Because some countries have laws and rules for the protection of the environment, and the antifouling works either by being toxic to the beasties or rubbing off and ending in the water. Sometimes both. That's why they might care.

How would they know is the wrong question, because on one hand the laws of the land apply also to the guests and on the other hand you'd be surprised how well customs, bio-safety and other agents know about stuff and for what kind of test-kits they bring along. Only you can't imagine anyone would care can lead you into serious trouble. Breaking the law willingly and knowingly might be amoral, the right thing to do or a risk you're willing to take. Breaking laws because of ignorance is usually just stupid.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 11:24   #6

I have read some countries have banned copper bottom paint on boats there. So it stands to reason it would also be illegal for any foreigner to have this paint. Some new rules came in effect in 2020 and 2021 but I don't know if it applies.

I have met other cruisers who bragged about how they obtained tbt in Thailand and mixed it into the bottom paint. I think this is really a selfish behavior, and the same applies to a lot of the toxic biocides in bottom paint which are potentially more harmful and dangerous than just copper.

So the subject is confusing but I am mostly trying to understand restrictions, and if it's allowed today, but maybe not in 2024? What could actually happen to someone who sailed there with bottom paint that is not allowed?
Old 24-03-2021, 11:38   #7

Boat: Hylas 54

Usually, governments ban the sale of the offending goods and they don't worry about what's already out there, just letting attrition take care of it. Saves a lot of hassles when there are no practical ways to police the problem.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 13:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
Usually, governments ban the sale of the offending goods and they don't worry about what's already out there, just letting attrition take care of it. Saves a lot of hassles when there are no practical ways to police the problem.
I understand this means boats previously painted with copper are not required to haul out and remove the copper paint applied in that country when it was legal, but this has nothing to do with boats arriving elsewhere.

Otherwise I could also bring some types of weapons from my country (usa) where they are easy to obtain into another country where they are banned, and I know people do this all the time, but it is illegal.
Old 24-03-2021, 14:12   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
I understand this means boats previously painted with copper are not required to haul out and remove the copper paint applied in that country when it was legal, but this has nothing to do with boats arriving elsewhere.

Otherwise I could also bring some types of weapons from my country (usa) where they are easy to obtain into another country where they are banned, and I know people do this all the time, but it is illegal.

That’s a touch different from antifouling paint.

I’m beginning to think you’ve gotten yourself into another New Zealand situation.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 15:13   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I've never encountered, nor know of, any country who has banned copper. TBT yes, but copper no. I've also never had an official inquire about the type of bottom paint on a boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 15:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Because some countries have laws and rules for the protection of the environment, and the antifouling works either by being toxic to the beasties or rubbing off and ending in the water. Sometimes both. That's why they might care.

How would they know is the wrong question, because on one hand the laws of the land apply also to the guests and on the other hand you'd be surprised how well customs, bio-safety and other agents know about stuff and for what kind of test-kits they bring along. Only you can't imagine anyone would care can lead you into serious trouble. Breaking the law willingly and knowingly might be amoral, the right thing to do or a risk you're willing to take. Breaking laws because of ignorance is usually just stupid.
LOL!!!
Some times I think the world has gone mad.....other times i am left with no doudt.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 17:29   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
LOL!!!

Some times I think the world has gone mad.....other times i am left with no doudt.
Really? So breaking the law out of ignorance is smart?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 17:54   #13

Boat: Spindrift 43

Breaking the law?! Give me a break. This has NEVER been an issue for any country in the 20 years I’ve been boating, but now it’s suddenly tantamount to aquatic terrorism. Do we not have enough garbage to contort ourselves with that bottom paint legally applied in the country of origin needs to be litigated?? It’s a fair enough question, but the pearl clutching replies are laughable, peak-2021 nonsense. Get a life guys.

If there’s something that’s truly a problem for a country, they’ll be sure to publicize it. And if you want to go there abide by the rules.

I thought cruisers were looking for an escape from hyper-regulation, but spending some time here would be enough to make one think we’re desperate to bring it to the remote destinations we wish to explore.

Belizesailor, you have 12,000 posts which implies you’ve been doing this for a while. Can you seriously say that you’ve modified your bottom paint solution ahead of arriving at foreign ports of call so as not to “violate a law”. I have a hard time seeing someone Avoiding ablative paint because they’ll be sailing to Greece in 2 years.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 17:58   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

What the hell are you arguing about? There is no country which bans copper bottom paint. Get a grip folks!
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 18:09   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
What the hell are you arguing about? There is no country which bans copper bottom paint. Get a grip folks!

Are you sure? As I understand it, Washington state has recently passed a bill delaying a quasi-total ban on copper antifouling which was supposed to go in effect this year:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienni...%20WM%2020.pdf

Tags
legal, paint, sail