Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 05:58   #106

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Boatguy30 - don't worry, Doodles didn't read the full article either. The one inside incident was an altercation and not a ND or AD (negligent or accidental discharge) and that could have happened anywhere and should not have happened inside as loaded firearms are prohibited within shows - even in open-carry states.
Really, I didn't read that anywhere in this article. Here's what I read ...

Quote:
The original owner of the Taurus semi-automatic 9 mm handgun used in the shooting brought the firearm into the show fully loaded. This is despite the policy of searches to make sure all guns are not loaded and rendered safe before others can handle them.

The man who bought the gun told police that he took it out, then accidentally fired it, said Berarducci. A single bullet ended up going into the arm and thigh of this man's business partner.
[Bold text by poster]

Sure sounds like an accident to me. Where do you get the "altercation" scenario from?
Old 21-01-2013, 05:59   #107
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Maybe vaccum pack ammo to keep the humidity out. If your gonna carry, having at least 1000 rounds seems like a no brainer. Without ammo you've just got a heavy rusting stick.
I would suggest that if someone thinks they need that sort of firepower that they look very carefully at where they are cruising. and / or WTF they doing to upset the locals so much .

Would also be an indicator that might be the time to consider investing in some aircover.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 06:00   #108
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

Quote:
That dewalt gun is not a dewalt at all its a M16 with yellow trim and a dewalt sticker. It has been reposted all over the net but few actually read the artical about it. No nails, just good ole M16 ammo. I myself dont care for the M16 and enjoy the AK-47 much more. A better looking gun in general.
'SIGH.......' where'd I put that bludi yellow paint...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 06:06   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Would also be an indicator that might be the time to consider investing in some aircover.........
I like your rational, forward thinking.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:28   #110

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
See, that's why you're not allowed to carry loaded weapons IN a gun show! you'll note it happened just outside. this thread has done a pretty good job staying away from politics and culture. I really do appreciate a thread of the nuts and bolts.
Mostly nuts.
Old 21-01-2013, 07:13   #111
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Maybe vaccum pack ammo to keep the humidity out. If your gonna carry, having at least 1000 rounds seems like a no brainer. Without ammo you've just got a heavy rusting stick.
Declaring a 1000 rounds of shotgun ammo will just get you arrested in many countries, not to mention the size and weight of 4 slabs.

Having 1000 rounds of high calibre ammunition like 9mm means they will do the above but throw away the key. Keep a very accurate register of the ammunition and ensure you can show how it was acquired and used and when.

In practice a shotgun is a good firearm as it attracts the least attention, even if it isnt a good distance weapon, at least it makes a loud bang. Id say carry 100 rounds, Youll never get more then 4-6 off anyway, either hes dead( or running away) or you are.

I would strongly advise not going near most countries with any kind of handgun or semi auto anything,

Dave
Old 21-01-2013, 10:49   #112
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
My NRA firearms instructor - a secret service agent and the first female US Air marshal - instructed us...
Your instructor is confused. You might want to investigate further, and you might want to avoid sources of information that pull information out of their ass.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 10:59   #113
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I dont think guns on boats make a ton of sense if your going from country to country. And I dont hunt, but I do like to shoot hundreds of holes in things. If I'm gonna shoot up an old beer keg or scrap car, I'd prefer to have 1000's of rounds available.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:09   #114

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Your instructor is confused. You might want to investigate further, and you might want to avoid sources of information that pull information out of their ass.
Certainly a helpful, informative post with lots of accurate, cited sources. This is the type that will get the thread shut down, thank you Jammer
Old 21-01-2013, 21:19   #115

Quote:
I dont think guns on boats make a ton of sense if your going from country to country. And I dont hunt, but I do like to shoot hundreds of holes in things. If I'm gonna shoot up an old beer keg or scrap car, I'd prefer to have 1000's of rounds available.
I see your point. As you're cruising down the ICW you never know when you may want to pull over and put a scrap car out of its misery.
Old 21-01-2013, 21:38   #116
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I see your point. As you're cruising down the ICW you never know when you may want to pull over and put a scrap car out of its misery.

Scrap cars everywhere need to be eradicated with extreme prejudice. Same goes for abondoned appliances, melons, beer kegs, water jugs, and a whole host of other potentially hostile items.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:44   #117
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Certainly a helpful, informative post with lots of accurate, cited sources. This is the type that will get the thread shut down, thank you Jammer
With the accuracy of the information I was responding to, shutting the thread down would improve it.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 04:58   #118

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 DS

Wow. this thread deteriorated quickly. Perhaps we could steer it back to the orrigional topic, which I believe is a valid one given the existing piracy threat. As the article in the link below indicates, one cruiser was killed before his partner returned fire with a shotgun and killed onew pirate and wounded the other. From a tactical standpoint the weapon makes sense; third world jackoffs are not very good shots and therefore much threat from a distance, and even if it were practical for cruisers to carry a long gun the odds of your average cruiser on a moving boat being able to accurately engage a pirate on a speeding skiff are nil. Besides, as indicated in the article the pirates tend to use deception to close the distance and then employ a blitz attack. A shotgun is a perfectly acceptable weapon, and is what we often carrying when conducting anti-piracy missions in the Arabian Gulf. Additionally, the weapon has a variety of uses and requires minimal skill. Which brings us back to the issue at had, which would be wether the majority of countries would allow a cruiser to retain one while in their waters, because believe me, I'm retired and really don't want to argue over guns, I just want to sail, snorkle, find hot foriegn chicks, and not have to worry about third world thugs.
Pirate Attack Claims Life of Beloved Cruiser | Cruising World
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 05:52   #119

Boat: Catalina 30

Hmm, I have a Remington 870 I could bring along when here at home. I need to get a shorter barrel for it to be a little easier to store. We could trap shoot as a bonus.

Anyone trap shoot from their boat?
Old 22-01-2013, 05:54   #120

Guns, now pirates, so how about an anchor?

If you really want to get it back on track you should read the original post again.

Tags
Guns