Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2018, 12:10   #1

Portable international MMSI for U.S. handheld DSC VHF

Obtaining a basic United States MMSI for handhelds when only looking for USCG purposes is easy enough. However, if I want my MMSI to be SAR-registered (a.k.a. "international") then the red tape is confusing, to say the least.

Basically, I am a club member in the SF Bay Area and charter boats here, so I don't/can't have a fix ship station license from the FCC. I'd also like to be able to take my handheld DSC VHF aboard/abroad while cruising down to Mexico, or perhaps even when chartering in other non-U.S. waters far away from home, so I can't just go to BoatUS or SeaTow (their MMSI don't get registered with SAR).

It appears that only the US FCC can issue SAR-capable MMSI for people based in the US. However, all the forms and legalese gobbledygook never seem to show any path towards a portable ship station license for maritime use for folks without boats.

I sure can't be the first with this problem but searching online has been frustrating... has anybody here done this, perhaps a simple step-by-step advice or a web link with a how-to?

Thank you so much,
Matthias
GlobalPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 15:24   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Portable international MMSI for U.S. handheld DSC VHF

As I understand it, the MMSI is issued to a ship, not to a person or a radio. If this is the case, I think you are out of luck with your quest.

Jim
Old 28-05-2018, 22:08   #3

Re: Portable international MMSI for U.S. handheld DSC VHF

That was the original idea back in the 90s, when DSC first appeared on the scene. However, in the meantime DSC became a commonplace feature for handhelds and both USCG and international SAR organizations became cognizant of the challenge that existing initial regulations didn't properly address handheld DSC-enabled VHF radios.

The FCC even has references to "portable" handheld DSC VHF MMSI... my problem is more of a procedural nature - any form or instruction booklet I find incessantly refers to ships and vessel IDs and such, as if every handheld somehow belongs to the owner or dinghy of a registered mothership. It surely can't be the case that non-owners aren't supposed to be safe, aren't supposed to make use of this technology, right?

Matthias
GlobalPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, fcc, handheld, international, mmsi, portable, sar, vhf