Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2021, 08:32   #1

Boat: Looking
Newbie with lots of questions

I fell in love with Panama 30+ years ago while stationed here with the US Army. Also fell in love with a Beautiful woman shortly thereafter. I got shipped out and we lost contact. About 3 years ago I told my daughter that I was going to buy a sailboat and head to Panama.

Two years ago, I got back in contact with my tropical Latina Princess. Since then we have married and I am in the process of liquidating all of my stuff for the move to Panama.

My question is. Has anyone bought an inexpensive boat and sailed it to Panama and how much were the duties and taxes?
tdhotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 19:53   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Newbie with lots of questions

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

If you need further help let me know, I would be happy to.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 01:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tdhotti.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 07:48   #4

Thanx GordMay. I just tested positive for the Controlya virus yesterday so now have 14 day quarantine. I truly believe that if a man is to be quarantined in a Tropical Paradise, it should be on a boat with a fishing pole and plenty of drinkable antiseptic.
Old 13-06-2021, 08:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newbie with lots of questions

I guess it depends on whether you plan to have the boat flagged USA or get it Panamanian registered...

• The household goods, personal effects, and the car are duty free, but are subject to an ITBM tax (VAT) of 7%. • All shipments will be personally inspected at the entry port. • For an additional fee to the Panama government, the inspection can be done at the person’s residence at the time of delivery.

If you plan on registering it in Panama that's $1,500, $1000 if a Panamanian citizen.
This is good for two years before needing renewal.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 08:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

If you need further help let me know, I would be happy to.

Thank you Adelle. I updated my profile as you reccomended.
Old 13-06-2021, 08:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I guess it depends on whether you plan to have the boat flagged USA or get it Panamanian registered...

• The household goods, personal effects, and the car are duty free, but are subject to an ITBM tax (VAT) of 7%. • All shipments will be personally inspected at the entry port. • For an additional fee to the Panama government, the inspection can be done at the person’s residence at the time of delivery.

If you plan on registering it in Panama that's $1,500, $1000 if a Panamanian citizen.
This is good for two years before needing renewal.

I am not intending to apply for citizenship, just permanent resident on Pensinada visa. My wife is Panamanian though. I guess as I get closer to pulling the trigger, I will have to see which way to go with registering it. If I can keep it in permanent transit then maybe US registration is the way to go.
Old 13-06-2021, 16:00   #8

Boat: Leopard 45

would it not be easier to find a boat already in Panama and registered there?
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 16:34   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
would it not be easier to find a boat already in Panama and registered there?
That was my first thought too.

What a story! Welcome aboard here tdhotti!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 16:37   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhotti View Post
I fell in love with Panama 30+ years ago while stationed here with the US Army. Also fell in love with a Beautiful woman shortly thereafter. I got shipped out and we lost contact. About 3 years ago I told my daughter that I was going to buy a sailboat and head to Panama.

Two years ago, I got back in contact with my tropical Latina Princess. Since then we have married and I am in the process of liquidating all of my stuff for the move to Panama.

My question is. Has anyone bought an inexpensive boat and sailed it to Panama and how much were the duties and taxes?
Seems to me like you could find a much better deal on a boat already in Panama than buy one up here and sail it down. Depending on which side of the canal you want to be on, it could cost an additional two grand.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 21:33   #11

I just don't see a lot of loans in the classfields locally.

From wat I am reading lately though there may be more ships on the Colon side and just bring i through the canal.