Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 08:52   #31

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Multi-year USCG documentation renewals being considered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I'd still like to know what the rationale is for renewal at all, unless change of ownership? Can anyone tell me?...

BTW, I visited the site and lobbied for extended times as well as suggesting they modernize the process to reduce the paper & overhead rather than exact a fee to carry on as usual.
Apparently mortgage holders on commercial vessels want a verification, such as documentation renewal, every year. The questions all seemed slanted toward assuming that was a requirement.

In my comments I suggested the CG offer a verification form, and charge a fee for anyone who needs it. Then the need to renew the documentation goes away.

I also suggested making reminders, renewals and payments all on line.

It really is possible that some of these ideas will be heard, if enough of us raise them. I know, it's the government. The odds are against any sort of common sense being applied. But we can try.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Apparently mortgage holders on commercial vessels want a verification, such as documentation renewal, every year.
One wonders which end chases the other, in this case. Do the mortgage holders have the verification requirement because they know that the USCG requires documentation renewal every year, or does the USCG cater to the mortgage holders' requirements?
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 18:37   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Island Time, in almost every state you pay a yearly registration fee for a car. I pay about 10 times the $26 for my car, that the feds want for boats. Please dont let the feds figure out how much states charge for vehicles, or we will all be paying more. _____Grant.
It is NOT a registration. It is a TITLE. You don't get a new title yearly. You pay a use fee to maintain roads. Your Documentation is proof of ownership. It is what foreign officers use to verify it is yours. I also pay a Michigan boat registration of about $455 for a 3-year sticker. We only buy license plates here for cars once but an annual registration/road tax sticker. For boat trailers one fee once for a lifetime plate.

On the 26 dollar fee. If it really cost them 26 bucks to process a one-page, "NO CHANGE" they are doing things seriously wrong. I bet the IRS processes paper for way less than 26 bucks. On-line filing saves them millions. As has been suggested, the paperless on-line & human-less computer renewal should also be a tiny cost.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 14:40   #34

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
How do you email the $26.00 ?
While researching these same issues earlier this year, I found the following on-line renewal/payment link on the USCG Vessel Documentation site.

Note that currently it is functioning as a sign-up page for a [May 2015] deployment of online renewal.

This sounds like a nice improvement. Now for longer periods between renewals...

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:32   #35

Boat: Young Sun 35

Thanks for the "heads-up" concerning the proposed change by the USCG. I provided my comments in favor of a multi-year program, as well as moving toward an option for an "all online" submission and payment of renewals.

Phil
s/v Lutra
Seattle, Washington USA
Old 15-05-2016, 10:50   #36

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Getting ready to renew our USCG documentation and noticed it's still annual... does anybody know if there's been any updates regarding multi-year renewals?
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:30   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Apparently mortgage holders on commercial vessels want a verification, such as documentation renewal, every year. The questions all seemed slanted toward assuming that was a requirement.

In my comments I suggested the CG offer a verification form, and charge a fee for anyone who needs it. Then the need to renew the documentation goes away.

I also suggested making reminders, renewals and payments all on line.

It really is possible that some of these ideas will be heard, if enough of us raise them. I know, it's the government. The odds are against any sort of common sense being applied. But we can try.
Not buying it. The CG doesn't allow a transfer of documentation if the boat has a mortgage. There is zero need for mortgage companies to require an annual confirmation.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 15:06   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Getting ready to renew our USCG documentation and noticed it's still annual... does anybody know if there's been any updates regarding multi-year renewals?

I certainly hope so!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 14:20   #39

Got this info via facebook
In February 2016, the USCG Authorization Act of 2015 (H.R. 4188) was signed by the President.
Contained in that Act (Section 311) is a directive for the USCG to implement a 5-Year Certificate of Documentation Certificate for Recreational Vessels.
As you can see in the attached photo, there is NO IMPLEMENTATION DATE
Bill passes Congress allowing 5-year USCG documentation located in General | Waterway Guide News Update

http://transportation.house.gov/uplo...tguard2015.pdf
Page 14, section 311

It looks we have to renew for one more year before we get a 5 year renewal! yay govt actually taking a step forward!
Old 24-02-2017, 09:42   #40

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30

Just reinstated my boat's Documentation. Been expired for 3 years, cost - $470. I inquired about the 5 year renewal and it was $300. Something to do with online over the phone fees. I will wait for the $27 bill next year. Chat function went well on their website.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:18   #41

I checked out the website and didn't see anything new about it. I wonder if they are just trying to make money on the deal, or if they plan on raising the registration fee over the next 5 years and the 5 year renewal includes paying it every year?

Hopefully it won't be that much!
Old 05-03-2017, 14:41   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

OK, this is from both the USCG and a member of the House committee staff overlooking the USCG. The Documentation Center was working away on the 5 year document and was getting ready to submit the new reg's to be published in the Federal Register. They are on hold per the Administration's action against new regulations. Before it becomes official the regulations to put the new law into place have to be drafted, reviewed, and published. They are on an executive branch hold with many others. So, if you want a 5 year COD, write your congressperson and ask that they insist that Homeland Security follow the law they passed and issue the necessary regulations to permit a 5 year document. That simple. Nothing the USCG can do until they are permitted to file new reg's.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:39   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

As I heard it any new reg. would require eliminating two old ones. I feel sure it would be easy to find two.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:24   #44

About ten minutes ago I heard a short radio news report that said the trump administration is planning on cutting the CG budget. This was on an NBC or CBS station (I dont recall which) so I dont see any reason for it to be fake news, but I havent tried to verify it. Cutting the CG budget doesnt make any sense to me, but most recent things dont make a lot of sense. Has anyone else got info on this? _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:38   #45

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
About ten minutes ago I heard a short radio news report that said the trump administration is planning on cutting the CG budget. This was on an NBC or CBS station (I dont recall which) so I dont see any reason for it to be fake news,............... .
No, NBC or CBS wouldn't report fake news!

It's to the point where you can't believe any of the "news" organizations.

So I haven't gotten my renewal letter and I'm planning on heading out in six weeks for two months or more away from home. My documentation will expire while I'm gone so I really need the new one. It's about time to give them a call and hopefully see what's up.

Tags
documentation, men