Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 06:18   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Multi-year USCG documentation renewals being considered

Back in August, the Coast Guard instituted a $26 yearly fee for vessel documentation renewals. In the comments submitted before the ruling, many boaters felt the fees were reasonable, and others did not; however, most wished for a multi-year renewal option.
Boaters – especially full-time cruisers – will be glad to know that the Coast Guard is considering offering a two-year and/or three-year option, making renewals much more convenient. Since the fee itself was instituted due to laws requiring federal agencies to recover the processing costs of services, it stands to reason that multi-year renewals will also afford a discount compared to renewing year-by-year.The "Request for Information" section does not mention any discounts for multi-year renewals; however, the "Supplemental Information" section mentions a possible modification to the fee.
Comments can be submitted online or otherwise on or before June 1, 2015...read more: Multi-year documentation renewals being considered located in General | Waterway Guide News Update
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:25   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Multi-year USCG documentation renewals being considered

Sure would be a lot more convenient and reduce their current paperwork overload issue. Just submitted a renewal request today....will likely take months to complete.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:35   #3
cruiser

I'm not sure I understand why documentation, which is permanently assigned to the boat, is renewed at all except if a change in ownership happens? Like a title, that is to say.

Which is the gist of my comment to the USCG, thanks for putting that up
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:07   #4

Boat: CA 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Sure would be a lot more convenient and reduce their current paperwork overload issue. Just submitted a renewal request today....will likely take months to complete.
We just did our renewal for this year and it took less than two weeks from mailing our form from the USVI via USPS to receiving the new papers in the USVI. This has been our usual experince with the USCG for the last thirty years.

So much for those months long waits...
Old 03-03-2015, 07:44   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

1. Multi-year makes sense. USCG must be informed anyway when ownership changes. Will save all parties postage and time over annual renewals.

2. Allow renewals to be done on line. Again, will save postage and time for all. If I can renew and change my FCC documents on-line, which I must also carry on my boat, why not my USCG documentation?
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Back in August, the Coast Guard instituted a $26 yearly fee for vessel documentation renewals. In the comments submitted before the ruling, many boaters felt the fees were reasonable, and others did not; however, most wished for a multi-year renewal option.
Boaters – especially full-time cruisers – will be glad to know that the Coast Guard is considering offering a two-year and/or three-year option, making renewals much more convenient. Since the fee itself was instituted due to laws requiring federal agencies to recover the processing costs of services, it stands to reason that multi-year renewals will also afford a discount compared to renewing year-by-year.The "Request for Information" section does not mention any discounts for multi-year renewals; however, the "Supplemental Information" section mentions a possible modification to the fee.
Comments can be submitted online or otherwise on or before June 1, 2015...read more: Multi-year documentation renewals being considered located in General | Waterway Guide News Update
In Australia we pay a once off fee of $1150. Beware of one time fees.

Although I'm sure the US wont gouge their nautical citizens like Australia does.

We also had to deal with the confusing documentation system.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:41   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

It's nearly time for my renewal. It's always been fast, a week or two.

I would really like to see multi year documentation. I can't imagine a good argument against it.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:44   #8
cruiser

I renewed online, more or less

The form is here. It's a PDF with clickable fields in which you type your information. After you make your changes, be sure and save-as the file. Then you email the PDF.

this form tells you where to email the PDF

I received my documentation in weeks/days. YMMV

I'd still like to know what the rationale is for renewal at all, unless change of ownership? Can anyone tell me?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoItGoes View Post
We just did our renewal for this year and it took less than two weeks from mailing our form from the USVI via USPS to receiving the new papers in the USVI. This has been our usual experince with the USCG for the last thirty years.

So much for those months long waits...
If you make a change, or do a transfer, it takes months.

I don't know why you need a renewal, and if you do, why not make it every 3 or 5 years?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:52   #10

I commented on their site, and also indicated that I'd like to see a reduction in fees to reflect the more efficient process.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21   #11

Aviation registration used to be a forever thing, and they would send you a little note every 3 years. If you didnt respond, your registration just kept on going. Since 9-11 it has changed to actually re-registering every 3 years, and they have discovered that many planes no longer existed, but had been carried on the books for years. The re-registration only costs $5, so I cant imagine that they are making money on it, but it gives the govt. a little more control/information on what is out there. The 3 year federal aviation registration would make a good argument for 3 year federal boat registration. I am not a govt hater, but I sure as hell wish they could do things right more often. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
I renewed online, more or less

The form is here. It's a PDF with clickable fields in which you type your information. After you make your changes, be sure and save-as the file. Then you email the PDF.

this form tells you where to email the PDF

How do you email the $26.00 ?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:26   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The form doesn't elaborate, although it does mention the fee. Give 'em a call, I guess. My last renewal was for September so I didn't have to pay
Old 03-03-2015, 10:46   #14

Quote:
When I registered originally I paid them by cc via fax. The annual renewal letters also have cc fax payment as an option if changes are needed, etc. I get them about 45 days before expiration and file right away and so far always got the new certificate on time.

I am also in the camp that does not see a point of annual filings since technically USCG documentation certificate is the equivalent of title. May be if enough owners take time to complain to their reps about it they will drop this annual bs filing and treat documentation for boats same as for cars.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
It's nearly time for my renewal. It's always been fast, a week or two.

I would really like to see multi year documentation. I can't imagine a good argument against it.
Ron,

As long as they leave it with the CG it will probably happen. If the parent co. Home land Insecurity gets ahold of it you're looking at quarterly.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men