Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 12:51   #16

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: Heading to Mexico in March.

Thank you Zee hag, I had not thought of that. I personally always follow every rule and law I can.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:55   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the border is less than 5 hours by car from guaymas. there are many others doing the gringo migration. you might even be able to catch a ride with some if you are not toooo curmudgeonly.

oh some of those folks are ladies so make sure you have had a bath within a few weeks of the migratory ride. is kinda nasty in a closed space with steeenk emanating form one or more of the occupants, and we all know how sailors are....... oopsy..hahahahaha
yes they do have showers in mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 14:07   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2sail View Post
Looking at heading to la Paz in March. If I’m wanting to hang out in sea of Cortez until end of hurricane season do I still have to leave country then come back in???
First things first.
Stop by and see me at La Paz Cruisers Supply in Marina Palmira and I'll take you out on a Taco Cart Tour! If you don't know the good places to eat, then nothing else matters...ah ha ah
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:06   #19

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

May I suggest the following? Get your TIP (temporary import permit) in Ensenada or La Paz if you don't have one. You can also get your 6 month visa there. Spend the next 5-6 months in the Sea of Cortez. Go from side to side (main land-Baja) working your way north. Before the six months are over, end up in San Felipe. You are a couple of hours away from the Mexicali-Calexico border by bus. The buses are not bad! You can spend some time in the Imperial Valley or San Diego and then come back, get a new 6 month visa. Perhaps someone can inform if you can just turn around and get one the same day. Mexicali is also a nice place. I have spent most of my life on that border. I had my boat at the FONATUR marina for over two years there. San Felipe is a nice town. I have since moved the boat to Santa Rosalia. Also a nice town. The marina people are very nice and quite helpful.
We did all of our paperwork in La Paz but we were coming from Panama. The lady was very professional and competent. I believe I still have her card on the boat. I will be there on the 9th of November. I can look for it and send you the information if you are interested. Have a nice day.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:15   #20

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
Perhaps someone can inform if you can just turn around and get one the same day.
Yes you can.

Great advice above. Currently in San Carlos. There are a lot of cruisers here that rent a car or take the bus to reset their visas.
San Felip้ is a good choice in that you are close enough to San Diego to purchase boat stuff and reset at the same time.
+1 on Santa Rosalia. Great town!

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 15:34   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
May I suggest the following? Get your TIP (temporary import permit) in Ensenada or La Paz if you don't have one. You can also get your 6 month visa there. Spend the next 5-6 months in the Sea of Cortez. Go from side to side (main land-Baja) working your way north. Before the six months are over, end up in San Felipe. You are a couple of hours away from the Mexicali-Calexico border by bus. The buses are not bad! You can spend some time in the Imperial Valley or San Diego and then come back, get a new 6 month visa. Perhaps someone can inform if you can just turn around and get one the same day. Mexicali is also a nice place. I have spent most of my life on that border. I had my boat at the FONATUR marina for over two years there. San Felipe is a nice town. I have since moved the boat to Santa Rosalia. Also a nice town. The marina people are very nice and quite helpful.
We did all of our paperwork in La Paz but we were coming from Panama. The lady was very professional and competent. I believe I still have her card on the boat. I will be there on the 9th of November. I can look for it and send you the information if you are interested. Have a nice day.

this information has been rendered incorrect within the past month.
we are allowed to check OUT of la paz, but NOT IN. it is not a port of entry into mexico. ensenada and chiapas are ports of entry.
yes this is new mas o menos one month of age information, verified by retired port captain and by our very knowledgeable harbormasters office. all is under one roof, in one room.
enjoy your adventure.
ensenada is a very easy port to navigate, paperwork wise., marinas will help and so does port captain office.
when in ensenada do go to the fish market., and have fish tacos in the line of taquerias across from fishmarket. best fish tacos in mexico so far.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, head, Mexico