Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 16:39   #1

Boat: Parker Marine, Lorcha 50, 50" LOD
Heading south from Northern Gulf of Mexico early 2014

Looking for a crew to share the efforts, some of the costs, and all of the rewards of a cruise. I have 8 to 10 weeks available to wander around the Caribbean from January to mid March. I tend to avoid marinas and seek out beauty, so your costs should be reasonable (your own food, booze, etc; I'll cover maintenance and fuel; we'll share entry fees and other travel-related costs). Crew may join for a part of the trip but destinations and schedules are fluid. Departure point: Pensacola, FL. I may return there or I may haul her and leave her a while in the Caribbean.

Tien Hou is a 50' gaff-rigged ketch with two doubles in the main cabin and two singles in a separate fo'csl up forward (the aft cabin is mine). You can read about her in Wooden Boat, # 224, p. 38 (WoodenBoat : WoodenBoat 224 JanFeb 2012, Page 1 -).

Experience is helpful but I can (and have) single-hand her wherever I want to go; attitude is everything. Be flexible and be on board because you want to be, and you'll fit in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tien Hou in Bar Harbor.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	69526  
Old 29-10-2013, 23:02   #2

Re: Heading south from Northern Gulf of Mexico early 2014

Hello there!

I would like to offer my help and company on board, I'm a student from Mexico City and will be taking some time off the first half of 2014 to go out on an adventure and this one sounds great.

Although I have very little experience with sailing I am a fast learner and wouldn't mind working hard while on board.

Send me a private message or email me at jprazmo(at)hotmail.com so we can keep in touch.

Cheers!
Old 29-10-2013, 23:43   #3

Beautiful boat. Looking to get some experience. I'm available starting mid Dec for approx 6 weeks. Pretty handy and a decent cook. Originally from Pensacola, wouldn't mind seeing the hometown. Let me know.
Old 30-10-2013, 04:09   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16

Hi Dave,

I sent you a PM. Your trip sounds awesome and I would love to be part of it! I used to be stationed at NAS Pensacola.
'
Garth
Old 01-11-2013, 13:12   #5

Hi Dave,
I too am interested in your trip. I will be available Jan/Feb/Mar and am looking forward to getting some ocean miles in my log book. I have not been on any long sea journey but I have taken the first 2 basic sailing courses from the American Sailing Association. I have been hooked on sailing ever since. Now I want to learn how to be a good sailor before I buy my own boat.

I am very flexible with start date and location. I am a pretty fair cook and will always pull my weight when it comes to the chores.

If a spot is still open I would love to hear from you.

Peg

live4rugby AT Gmail.com
Old 04-11-2013, 15:04   #6

Boat: dingy, 8 to 20', 38' cat

Dave- What a boat. Beautiful. If you are interested in a couple who has made that run we would like to talk more. Contact me at athena38y@yahoo.com.

Ron and Sue
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12   #7

Hello!
I'd love to help crew your ketch! I cruised from Jacksonville to the Azores this summer on a 36ft cutter(here's the ship's blog: www.apeoplesboat.org ). It was my first sailing experience and I had a blast. I am now looking for my next opportunity! I am 20 years old, I work full time at a cafe in St. Paul, Minnesota. My job allows for me to take time off without strict time constraints. I'm interested in music, I play guitar in a minneapolis based jug band. I'm soft spoken, but easy goin and good humored. I can execute most basic sailing functions; help with daily tasks, stay alert on watch, trim sails, steer (had no autopilot on my first trip). I work as a cook so I can definitely help by making meals for the crew. Let me know if you think I'd be a good addition to your crew!
Thanks,
Jack
Jriv42@gmail.com
Old 05-11-2013, 11:43   #8

Boat: Aloha 28

Interested....Could you share some details please
Thanks Kris
Old 11-12-2013, 13:44   #9

Just wondering where you are in your plans and if you still need crew. I am about 5 years into sailing (have raced and now am a boat owner myself) and I will have some free time in early January to go south...so I writing you!

Would love to meet more sailor friends!

Best,

Michele
Old 12-12-2013, 11:13   #10

sent you a PM - hope you're still looking for crew!
cheers,
deanna
Old 12-12-2013, 14:53   #11

Boat: 1935 33' Falmouth Cutter

Yes, please! PM sent.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:55   #12

hey bigwave!…my friends and i just posted this morning…what'dya think?:

Young, fit, lively, crew of four seeks captain & sails for Carribean adventures this January (2014). Our ultimate goal is to perform an off-shore puppet show along the Puerto Rican coast and be back stateside in time to tap the maple trees. However, we're eager to get on the water, and will adjust our plans to meet your itinerary--going to Nassau? Tobago? Havana? We're game!! Not coming back? We make friends easy, and will figure something else out for our return. Not much sailing experience between us, but I did paddle the Mississippi a couple years back for what that's worth.?? We've all at least been on a sailboat before--some of us even remember how to pull the ropes! In addition to our dusty dixie cups, however, as a group, we wear many other hats: musician, carpenter, cook, storyteller, singer, dancer, yoga instructor, painter, deck swabber, night-watchman, general lackie, etc. We can depart, with short notice, from anywhere on the southeast coast of Florida starting anytime after Jan 4. We may joke around a lot, but we are very serious about safety on the seas. If your jib is well-cut, and your deck needs a swabb'n, call Ken for a good time: 231.360.4219…no mast too big, or dingy too small!
Old 17-12-2013, 12:45   #13

Im interested in joining your crew. I live in Mexico City and ready to travel wherever you need me. I have experience in sail racing and took part on my first ocean cruising last year at ARC 2012. Contact me if it suits you patriciohea@hotmail.com.
Old 29-12-2013, 16:33   #14

Hello. I only have two weeks of vacation from march 2nd-16th 2014. I'm interested in helping out to further my experience. If I can assist in part, or in whole, let me know. I'm low maintenance and easy to get along with. My email is oogles72@hotmail.com
-Gene
Old 06-01-2014, 10:50   #15

I am interested in going. Please pm me

Tags
gulf of mexico, head, Mexico