Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 06:57   #31

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet
Re: Five Year USCG Documentation Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
This is really good news for cruisers! The end of the annual problem of getting a piece of paper at a random place overseas by a certain date. The cost is not that much of a problem, although paying an annual fee for something that I have already paid for is a bit irritating. I have gotten away with a photo of the original emailed from the States on a few occasions [emoji41]. The next step is to introduce them to this thing called email... there's no reason to be mailing paper documents in the age of the internet.

Last year I paid for a three year renewal. What that really means is I paid for three years and they will send me three one-year certificates. A small win but as others have said, the real problem is getting the certificate sent to where ever I am. If a certificate is lost in the mail, a replacement costs $50.
Subtandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 07:08   #32

Boat: Whitby 42

This looks like a great improvement, but does this exempt you of a cruising permit? Would be nice if we don’t have to leave US waters every year in order to get a cruising permit. We are a Canadian Registered vessel
macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:19   #33

Boat: C&C 40

It's your choice wether you document or not in most cases. State reg.for our 40 year old boat is like 5 bucks a year. Non antiques pay a lot more than 26. Plus the doc fee if you go that route. We chose to pay doc fees, just because. Just because it helps to provide better equipment, better train and better prepare the only people that will put their life at risk to save ours if ever needed. I figure it's cheap insurance. I know, don't pay and they will come anyway, but I've never been a free loader. We both worked for the county and know how hard it is to get needed ( not just wanted) equipment and supplies. There will be those, even here, who will want to debate or bad mouth that. But over all, in the end, you get what you are willing to pay for. Ted.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:25   #34

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae View Post
This looks like a great improvement, but does this exempt you of a cruising permit? Would be nice if we don’t have to leave US waters every year in order to get a cruising permit. We are a Canadian Registered vessel

This change only effects USCG Documented vessels which can only be owned by US citizens. This doesn't exempt foreign nationals from purchasing cruising permits or the requirements associated with those cruising permits.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:30   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
For those documented vessels in the US, the Coast Guard had outlined how to renew for 5 years. See Coast Guard statement below.

The Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2018 Sec. 512
CERTIFICATES OF DOCUMENTATION FOR RECREATIONAL VESSELS

The Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2018, signed into law Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018 includes a provision which allows recreational Certificate of Documentation (COD) holders the ability to select a multi-year document (1-5 years) during an implementation period designated as January 1, 2019-December 31, 2021, after which a five-year document (recreational vessels only) will become automatic.

Recreational vessel owners who wish to renew for more than one year may do so by including additional fees in the amount of $26.00 per extra year requested, and annotating same on the CG-7042 Credit Card Form, or in the Memo line of checks.

Commercial vessel owners are not eligible for multi-year documents and must continue to follow the current process for requesting/renewing one-year CODs.

To avoid delays in renewing, owners are encouraged to do so electronically via pay.gov, including Recreational vessel owners who wish to renew for a one year period.

Detailed information will be available prior to January 1, 2019 on the US Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) website under the INSTRUCTIONS AND FORMS tab.

For further assistance, please contact the NVDC at 1-800-799-8362 or 304-271-2400 between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm Eastern Time (Standard or Daylight Savings, when applicable).
This sounds really cool but we found we paid 3X for three years but will still receive an annual renewal document with an annual expiration. Meanwhile, they borrow my fees for free. This is worse than useless.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:45   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
This sounds really cool but we found we paid 3X for three years but will still receive an annual renewal document with an annual expiration. Meanwhile, they borrow my fees for free. This is worse than useless.

For 2019 documentation, if you pay for additional years, you'll get one document with an expiration up to the additional years paid with a maximum of 5 years. This is different than in previous years where you'd receive a document each year.

Until the CG updates their system, you'll need to renew for a multiyear document with a paper form and indicate the additional years plus payment. Once the CG updates their system, you'll be able to do this online getting the 5 year certificate.

As for the CG borrowing your money, it's a convenience factor. Submitting payment each year and hoping that I'll get my documentation sent to me is a PIA. If you know you'll keep your boat for those additional 4 years (you'd have to pay for the current year), then why not submit the additional $104.00 and call it a day? Currently it's your option however, in the future it will be mandatory.
Old 31-12-2018, 08:57   #37

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I really don't understand all off the complaints. It is now your choice as to whether you want to renew your documentation for one or up to five years. What's wrong with offering a choice?

For me, the small cost of an "interest free loan" is well worth the convenience of the five year renewal. If some software glitch means they continue to send me annual renewal notices, I will just throw them away knowing I am renewed for five years.

I see this as a very positive improvement.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:27   #38

Boat: C&C 36

Do beware of private entities that offer to handle renewals. I fell for this one: https://vesseldocumentation.us/

Can't remember how much I spent, but it was a waste
mmcroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:59   #39

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

It is BS to have to pay for all five years instead of just once. No surprise tho and those of us full time on the boat active cruisers will do it to save the hassle.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 17:38   #40

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'
Angry Re: Five Year USCG Documentation Guidelines

Hopefully they will be able to issue the new CODs timely and not like the DTOP decals that expire at midnight tonight and I still have not received my renewal decal. They cashed my check on November 11, 2018. All I get when I call is "It is being processed and I will receive an email when it is mailed." I had planned on leaving Dec 26th for the islands but I am still here waiting on an email.
Rasselas36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:22   #41

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'm not going to respond to political rants. We can all get enough of those just by turning on talk radio or propaganda-based "news" channels on TV.

But I will defend the men and women of the Coast Guard. I've worked with a lot of them. Yes, they start out as kids with little boat handling experience. But the CG is very selective. These are not the mythical lazy kids we all hear stereotypes about. They have to distinguish themselves, both academically and in extra-curricular activities, to even be considered. They're trained hard and given responsibilities far beyond what their peers in civilian life are given. They're dedicated to their country and their duties.

The CG is grossly underfunded, especially compared to other branches. Again, it's a political discussion as to why, or whether it's a good thing or not, but under-funding someone, then railing on them for being inefficient, is disingenuous at best.

I've said enough. I hope the day never comes when you need their services. But if it does, I can assure you they'll do their best to save your butt.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:28   #42

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm not going to respond to political rants. We can all get enough of those just by turning on talk radio or propaganda-based "news" channels on TV.

But I will defend the men and women of the Coast Guard. I've worked with a lot of them. Yes, they start out as kids with little boat handling experience. But the CG is very selective. These are not the mythical lazy kids we all hear stereotypes about. They have to distinguish themselves, both academically and in extra-curricular activities, to even be considered. They're trained hard and given responsibilities far beyond what their peers in civilian life are given. They're dedicated to their country and their duties.

The CG is grossly underfunded, especially compared to other branches. Again, it's a political discussion as to why, or whether it's a good thing or not, but under-funding someone, then railing on them for being inefficient, is disingenuous at best.

I've said enough. I hope the day never comes when you need their services. But if it does, I can assure you they'll do their best to save your butt.
Ditto, and well said. I have nothing but good words for our Coast Guard.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:07   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1958 View Post
Another thing.... who the heck would come up with a 5 year program like that? Stupid, no advantage or savings... just like the other fellow said. Case in Point.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019, 13:49   #44

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I would not call up a clerk at Kellogs' home office and expect them to know details about how corn flakes are made. I wouldn't expect the baggage claim person working for an airline to be able to explain to me how to operate a Lear jet.

I wouldn't expect a civilian contractor, working for the Coast Guard, to know a whole lot more than their own day-to-day job, processing paperwork or whatever they might have been hired (probably on a low-bid contract) to do.

Neither would I expect the CG to give you answers about state laws regarding registering dinghies. My guess is they wouldn't, even if they knew, for liability reasons.

I get it. The government has done some really stupid things. So has just about any large corporation I've ever heard of. I agree any bureaucracy can get too big, and need pruning from time to time. Government is no exception.

But the reality is, government agencies and workers exist for a reason. Just attacking everything that they do or say is easy, but it's missing the big picture.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 15:09   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
I started this thread to educate people on the new process for documenting their boats not for someone, who is obviously suffering from a bad hangover from last nights festivities, to ramble on about politics and the Coast Guard. Dude! Go have a Blood Mary and relax. Life is way too short to stress over documenting your vessel
I, for one, appreciate the information. I am happy to see this offered. Thanks!

Tags
documentation, men