Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2018, 10:05   #1

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA
Five Year USCG Documentation Guidelines

For those documented vessels in the US, the Coast Guard had outlined how to renew for 5 years. See Coast Guard statement below.

The Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2018 Sec. 512
CERTIFICATES OF DOCUMENTATION FOR RECREATIONAL VESSELS

The Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2018, signed into law Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018 includes a provision which allows recreational Certificate of Documentation (COD) holders the ability to select a multi-year document (1-5 years) during an implementation period designated as January 1, 2019-December 31, 2021, after which a five-year document (recreational vessels only) will become automatic.

Recreational vessel owners who wish to renew for more than one year may do so by including additional fees in the amount of $26.00 per extra year requested, and annotating same on the CG-7042 Credit Card Form, or in the Memo line of checks.

Commercial vessel owners are not eligible for multi-year documents and must continue to follow the current process for requesting/renewing one-year CODs.

To avoid delays in renewing, owners are encouraged to do so electronically via pay.gov, including Recreational vessel owners who wish to renew for a one year period.

Detailed information will be available prior to January 1, 2019 on the US Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) website under the INSTRUCTIONS AND FORMS tab.

For further assistance, please contact the NVDC at 1-800-799-8362 or 304-271-2400 between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm Eastern Time (Standard or Daylight Savings, when applicable).
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 11:00   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Five Year USCG Documentation Guidelines

Interesting, that's the first time I've seen any information about how and when it'll be implemented. Thanks!

It's also interesting that they chose to keep the annual cost the same. First it was free, then it was $26 per year to help defray processing costs. Now that they only have to process it once every five years, it's still $26 per year. For... uh... What??

Any scholar of government would have predicted this, of course. A bold-faced money grab. No surprise there.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 11:20   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Interesting, that's the first time I've seen any information about how and when it'll be implemented. Thanks!

It's also interesting that they chose to keep the annual cost the same. First it was free, then it was $26 per year to help defray processing costs. Now that they only have to process it once every five years, it's still $26 per year. For... uh... What??

Any scholar of government would have predicted this, of course. A bold-faced money grab. No surprise there.
once a govt fee is started it is tagged into the system, they aren't going to lost it after that

but, this is still cheap!!! and great progress
Old 21-12-2018, 11:34   #4

Here's the actual link to make a payment

https://pay.gov/public/form/start/11...PYO-pIKwI3mrMU
Old 21-12-2018, 11:35   #5

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I think this is the same link as the OP: http://mariners.coastguard.dodlive.m...-cod-renewals/

Note that 5 year renewals aren't available online yet, you have to mail the form in.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 14:10   #6

I was thinking how great this was, only having to renew every 5 years...

But wait a minute. I'm still paying $26 per year. Which means I'm just giving the US Government a $104 loan by paying for five years up front. In those four years, I might sell the boat, or it might sink, or burn up in a marina fire, or I could get hit by a bus.

I'm not really seeing any benefit for me. It's really not hard to renew. There are already lots of things I have to remember to do annually. This is just one of many.

The only benefit seems to be for the Government. Four years out of five, they do nothing for their measly $26, instead of having to process a form.

This whole thing strikes me as kind of a farce. I'm losing interest.
Old 21-12-2018, 14:17   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

It's only $104 every 5 years!

The plus if you are a cruiser is to you as you don't have to do it every year and then try to get the form send wherever you might be, which if isn't easy as you don't even know when you are going to be there. If you aren't and just living in your house just get every year.

Me, I'm going to do the 5 years even if I think I've going to sell the boat in 2-3 years. So things are so cheap that they aren't worth having to deal with more than once every 5 years. And at $104 this definitely falls into that category to me.
Old 21-12-2018, 14:19   #8

Quote:

But wait a minute. I'm still paying $26 per year. Which means I'm just giving the US Government a $104 loan by paying for five years up front. In those four years, I might sell the boat, or it might sink, or burn up in a marina fire, or I could get hit by a bus.

I'm not really seeing any benefit for me. It's really not hard to renew. There are already lots of things I have to remember to do annually. This is just one of many.

The only benefit seems to be for the Government. Four years out of five, they do nothing for their measly $26, instead of having to process a form.

I just asked about this on another site and it was explained the CG wanted more than $26 per year to help pay for the expense of upgrading their system but that didn't happen. It's all about convenience.
Old 21-12-2018, 18:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It's only $104 every 5 years!

The plus if you are a cruiser is to you as you don't have to do it every year and then try to get the form send wherever you might be, which if isn't easy as you don't even know when you are going to be there. If you aren't and just living in your house just get every year.

Me, I'm going to do the 5 years even if I think I've going to sell the boat in 2-3 years. So things are so cheap that they aren't worth having to deal with more than once every 5 years. And at $104 this definitely falls into that category to me.
Well, by my math it's $26 x 5 or $130, but I'd be paying $26 the first year anyway, so $130 - $26 = $104 extra that first year.

But I get the convenience thing. I just don't like to pay ahead when I don't have to. You never know what might happen over five years, and no point in jinxing it.

Shellback, I can believe it that they wanted more. This is how all levels of government work. It's a never-ending scramble to find funding for everything. Usually, we're the "funding source."
Old 21-12-2018, 20:01   #10

Boat: Vancouver 27

Awesome. Good on the CG for doing this. It was a real PITA in the ass before for those without a land base. Probably a PITA for the CG too. Maybe they can take the reduced burden and increased revenues and do an even better job of saving our asses from time to time.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 08:30   #11

You also are hedged against price increases for 5 years.... and of course you have the option to just renew for 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 years this first time... (although after December 2021 we will all be renewing for 5 years)

Guess that means that those thinking of selling in 1-2-3-4 years are just going to have to eat the unused years... betting that loss won't affect anyone's plans at all...
TarponChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 08:42   #12

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Check carefully to ensure you are actually dealing with the Coast Guard; last year I received an e-mail offering this service and contacted the "real coast guard" to enquire about the service. They would or could not say it was a scam but certainly left that impression. The USCG does not offer multi year renewals.

Jewt S/V Bifrost

Back in the water in New Bern, NC
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 08:43   #13

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

The USCG gets less than $12B per year, while the Defense Dept get $700B. I served in the Army, so I'm sympathetic to giving guys what they need in DoD, but CG works every day helping ordinary citizens and doing law enforcement, and their piece of the pie is 1.7% of what DoD gets. Sorry, but that is way out of line as compared to the value CG provides. I don't mind paying $26 a year to the Coast Guard. And by the way, in the current govt shutdown, Coasties don't get paid.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 08:59   #14

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:

Seriously? If $26 a year worries you then maybe owning a boat is not for you. I cannot remember the last time anything on my boat cost $26.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 09:00   #15

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post
Check carefully to ensure you are actually dealing with the Coast Guard; last year I received an e-mail offering this service and contacted the "real coast guard" to enquire about the service. They would or could not say it was a scam but certainly left that impression. The USCG does not offer multi year renewals.

Jewt S/V Bifrost

Back in the water in New Bern, NC
The scam companies charge a lot more than $26 per year.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men