Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 13:09   #181

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
UPDATE: We will be attending the Marathon city council meeting tonight, I will be one of the people speaking on behalf of the harbor. Yesterday I spent an hour with one of the higher ups of FWC in the office addressing some of these issues, as well as discussing the meeting they have agreed to on Dec 18th at 6pm. This has turned out to be a good thing, sometimes it takes things such as this to fix a problem. Tonights meeting with city council is to put this on public record, there will be no discussion and it will be two minutes each speaker. One last thing.. Do not let this steer you away from Boot Key. My family and I have lived here over a year and this is the only time there has ever been an issue. The community here is strong and the harbor really is a great place, this was a temporary problem. Thanks again for the support, remember we are all in the same boat ;-)
Very well done, good job. I wish the outcome of the Dec 18th meeting to be very positive
Old 12-12-2013, 14:10   #182

Quote:
UPDATE:
We will be attending the Marathon city council meeting tonight, I will be one of the people speaking on behalf of the harbor. Yesterday I spent an hour with one of the higher ups of FWC in the office addressing some of these issues, as well as discussing the meeting they have agreed to on Dec 18th at 6pm. This has turned out to be a good thing, sometimes it takes things such as this to fix a problem. Tonights meeting with city council is to put this on public record, there will be no discussion and it will be two minutes each speaker.

One last thing.. Do not let this steer you away from Boot Key. My family and I have lived here over a year and this is the only time there has ever been an issue. The community here is strong and the harbor really is a great place, this was a temporary problem.

Thanks again for the support, remember we are all in the same boat ;-)
So what did the FWC say during the hour you spent with them? Wait, wait, let me guess.....""this is the first I've heard of any problems". And "I'll look into into it and get back to you". Translation: the FWC has NO intention of having an honest dialogue with any boater!"
I would love to be proven wrong, however. What did he or she say?

And I am a BIG believer in the power of cookies but seriously?
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 15:07   #183

Boat: Catalina
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

If all else fails, put together a list of issues that the FWC must respond to. Then use your collective powers of observation to keep them busy.
cptratbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 15:55   #184

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Cookies???
Seriously, the whole harbor is upset. If you knew everyone in the harbor was mad at you and someone gave you some "homemade cokkies", would you eat them? Not me.
Old 12-12-2013, 16:13   #185

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Cookies???
Seriously, the whole harbor is upset. If you knew everyone in the harbor was mad at you and someone gave you some "homemade cokkies", would you eat them? Not me.
Heh-heh-heh.

Great idea for cookies or cokkies.
Old 12-12-2013, 16:20   #186
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Heh-heh-heh.

Great idea for cookies or cokkies.

That boy needs Therapy!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 16:47   #187

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
This assuming the folks who use terms like "Jack Booted Thugs" and other childish phrases and actually believe the majority of law enforcement personnel are personally out to get them stay away!
Since I am the only one who pointed out the Jack-booted uniforms, I will assume it is me you are calling childish. Please note that the "thug" part was added by you alone.

I am glad that you can ignore the military style uniforms, and the occupation style intimidation tactics. I guess it is easy to slap labels on people according to your stereotypes, and makes it easier to keep your head in the sand. If someone disagrees with you, they must be one of "those", naturally. If they don't think like you, they must be some kind of whack job, saves all of that considering other points of view and stuff.

It is easy to call someone childish from the safety of your keyboard, although quite rude, and I'd bet on the unlikelihood you would do it in person.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 18:02   #188
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

This is a problem that seems to occur every few years in Boot Key. Give it a few months and things will be back to normal.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 18:13   #189

Boat: Mac 26X

Again, good job guys for being smart and talking to the bosses. No one gets a new job and knows what to do right away. These young folks will learn to be great officers and will gain a lot from this experience. Hopefully they will stop plenty of poachers, arrest some drug dealers, and leave the average Joe cruiser to his business.

(edited in respect to the OP and the real issue at hand. I really am smart enough to know better than to engage the nonsense, I was just bored. My apologies)
Old 12-12-2013, 18:20   #190

Boat: Catalina 30

Glad to see the thread has stayed on track for ways to help the cruisers that are being affected by the fwc.
Old 12-12-2013, 18:23   #191

Point taken
Old 13-12-2013, 00:55   #192

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

The city council meeting went better than anyone could have imagined. The city manager brought the issue to the attention of everyone before I even had a chance to speak, the mayor and the city council are extremely troubled by the actions of the FWC. I spoke in front of the largest attended meeting in the history of the city of Marathon, our presence was obvious and kudos to everyone that rallied together. The mayor and the city council will be attending our meeting with FWC here at city marina on Dec 18th at 6pm, along with the city manager.

The FWC Sgt that is representing the FWC at the meeting used to be an officer here in Marathon and still lives here. When he was here the other day we discussed several of the issues at hand and both sides of the story were presented to each other. While I agreed most of the tickets were valid, he also stated that it wasn't the right way to go about things. "just because officers can do something, doesn't mean they should" We discussed the fact that while many of the tickets written were law, several of them were ones nobody would ever write. For instance there is a law that states your dinghy, if not tied up beside your boat needs to have it's own anchor light. However who writes that ticket? A new officer trying to make an impression that's who .

The Sgt will be helping us understand what they are looking for, discussing the legality of their boardings and what they can and can't do, as well as acting as a point of contact if we have any further problems. On that note, we have not seen and FWC boat in the harbor in 4 to 5 days, maybe someone received a memo? Boot Key is worth stopping, it's a wonderful place full of families and a strong sense of community. My two children are both surrounded by other kids and right now the harbor has well over 15 kids. The problem appears to be on the mend and things seem to be on their way back to normal.

Thank you CF and all those that are supporting our cause. Fair winds..
Old 13-12-2013, 01:15   #193

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
The city council meeting went better than anyone could have imagined. The city manager brought the issue to the attention of everyone before I even had a chance to speak, the mayor and the city council are extremely troubled by the actions of the FWC. I spoke in front of the largest attended meeting in the history of the city of Marathon, our presence was obvious and kudos to everyone that rallied together. The mayor and the city council will be attending our meeting with FWC here at city marina on Dec 18th at 6pm, along with the city manager. The FWC Sgt that is representing the FWC at the meeting used to be an officer here in Marathon and still lives here. When he was here the other day we discussed several of the issues at hand and both sides of the story were presented to each other. While I agreed most of the tickets were valid, he also stated that it wasn't the right way to go about things. "just because officers can do something, doesn't mean they should" We discussed the fact that while many of the tickets written were law, several of them were ones nobody would ever write. For instance there is a law that states your dinghy, if not tied up beside your boat needs to have it's own anchor light. However who writes that ticket? A new officer trying to make an impression that's who . The Sgt will be helping us understand what they are looking for, discussing the legality of their boardings and what they can and can't do, as well as acting as a point of contact if we have any further problems. On that note, we have not seen and FWC boat in the harbor in 4 to 5 days, maybe someone received a memo? Boot Key is worth stopping, it's a wonderful place full of families and a strong sense of community. My two children are both surrounded by other kids and right now the harbor has well over 15 kids. The problem appears to be on the mend and things seem to be on their way back to normal. Thank you CF and all those that are supporting our cause. Fair winds..
It will be interesting to have your report on the meeting of next 18th of Dec, here in this thread. Thank you again for your good job.
Old 13-12-2013, 01:47   #194

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

"On that note, we have not seen and FWC boat in the harbor in 4 to 5 days"

It's early and I didn't proofread ;-)
Old 13-12-2013, 02:36   #195

Sweet!