Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2021, 14:17   #91

Re: Canada Luxury tax on boats postponed

Why is it that when evil practices of men are revealed, those who do the revealing get condemned?

"The arts of power and its minions are the same in all countries and in all ages. It marks its victim; denounces it; and excites the public odium and the public hatred, to conceal its own abuses and encroachments."
Senator Henry Clay, US Senator, 1834
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 17:53   #92

[QUOTE=GordMay;3543423]According to the U.S. Senate:
Here ➥ https://www.senate.gov/about/powers-procedures/treaties.htm

Here ➥ https://www.senate.gov/about/powers-...s/overview.htm

There Are Two Options for Making International Agreements Under U.S. Domestic Law:
a) The Constitution authorizes the President to “make Treaties” with the “Advice and Consent” of the Senate, provided that “two thirds of the Senators present concur.” [U.S. Constitution, Art. II, § 2].
b) The President can enter into an executive agreement (which can include a treaty as that term is used in international law).
This can be:
a. A “Congressional-Executive” or “legislative-executive” agreement, made by the President under authority granted by Congress under an existing statute; or
b. A “sole executive agreement,” created under the President’s own constitutional authority to “take care” that the United States’ laws be faithfully enforced [U.S.Constitution, Art II, § 3] and under the bundle of Constitutional responsibilities collectively referred to as the President’s foreign affairs power [See U.S. Constitution, Art. II, §§ 1, 2, 3; United States 11 Foreign Affairs Manual § 723.2-2].[/QUOTE

President Obama used a play on words to get the US into the Paris Accord. unilaterally decreeing that Paris was not a “treaty,” but merely an agreement, an accord – some lesser document that he could personally sign, committing the US to it, making an end-run around our constitutional and democratic process, and giving Congress and America no opportunity to examine, discuss and agree to or reject this intrusive, destructive treaty. In so doing, Mr. Obama set the stage for coordinated efforts by liberal politicians, activists, bureaucrats, state attorneys general, forum-shopped judges and corporate CEOs to make the Paris language binding on every American.] Effectively, Obama sneaked ratification of Paris past Congress by semantic disguise.

Allowing the Obama “climate coup” to stand would allow future presidents to adopt any treaties they and foreign elites want, without Senate review and ratification, simply by deeming them “not a treaty.”

The Paris Treaty would imperil American self-government – by empowering administrations to make long-term commitments without congressional authorization, and by making US energy and economic policies beholden to the demands of foreign leaders, UN bureaucrats and international pressure groups.
Old 16-01-2022, 05:11   #93

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Not really ! But we love the services like healthcare that the taxes fund.
Perhaps YOU love the so called "FREE" healthcare. The covid crisis has exposed Canada's healthcare system for what it is. Broken, rickety and expensive. This relic of the central planning/Stalin era must go. The ancient outdated holy grail of Canada must be sent to the dustbin of history.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 05:43   #94

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Clearly you either don’t live here or feel you have been slighted somehow by our health care system.

There’s no doubt it isn’t perfect, and yes the pandemic has strained things (surprised? You shouldn’t be… it’s a PANDEMIC). And, since it is a provincially operated and planned system, indeed there are dramatic regional differences (which calls into question your ‘central planning’ argument- each province runs their own health system pretty independently)

I know of dozens of folks here in Nova Scotia who have been able to get fantastic service from our system all through the pandemic.

Babies are getting born well and safely, surgeries are happening, cancer treatments are proceeding, gall bladders and kidney stones are being removed. transplants and bypasses are a daily occurrence, diagnostic imaging, palliative care and mental health services are all running full bore- and yes, for ‘free’ (in as much as you don’t pay when you receive the service).

I have many colleagues and friends in the health system here. It is under tremendous strain - it was operating at 95% capacity prior to to the pandemic - but to say it is non functional and should be struck down is unrealistic and alarmist.

Your allegations of a ‘relic of Stalinist planning’ seem to suggest you have an alternate agenda driven by other motives or political beliefs.

Good luck with that.

I’m pretty happy with how our system has handled this shock. It will emerge stronger and better in time.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 06:11   #95

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
Clearly you either don’t live here or feel you have been slighted somehow by our health care system.

There’s no doubt it isn’t perfect, and yes the pandemic has strained things (surprised? You shouldn’t be… it’s a PANDEMIC). And, since it is a provincially operated and planned system, indeed there are dramatic regional differences (which calls into question your ‘central planning’ argument- each province runs their own health system pretty independently)

I know of dozens of folks here in Nova Scotia who have been able to get fantastic service from our system all through the pandemic.

Babies are getting born well and safely, surgeries are happening, cancer treatments are proceeding, gall bladders and kidney stones are being removed. transplants and bypasses are a daily occurrence, diagnostic imaging, palliative care and mental health services are all running full bore- and yes, for ‘free’ (in as much as you don’t pay when you receive the service).

I have many colleagues and friends in the health system here. It is under tremendous strain - it was operating at 95% capacity prior to to the pandemic - but to say it is non functional and should be struck down is unrealistic and alarmist.

Your allegations of a ‘relic of Stalinist planning’ seem to suggest you have an alternate agenda driven by other motives or political beliefs.

Good luck with that.

I’m pretty happy with how our system has handled this shock. It will emerge stronger and better in time.
I am a Canadian citizen and resident, so I do live in Canada. So far, I haven't had the opportunity to be slighted by the "FREE" healthcare system so I do consider myself fortunate.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 06:26   #96

Well, bgallinger, if you haven't been slighted by the ONTARIO health care system, whence comes your authoritative voice in pronouncing on it?

I dare say you are quite aware, as every Canadian is, that it ain't "the feds" that run the PRACTICAL side of healthcare in this 'ere colony. It's the PROVINCES - even in Ontario, n'est pas?

We might also note that no sensible Canadian subscribes to any bizarre notion that health care is "free". We Canadians know jolly well WHAT we pay for it, HOW we pay for it, and WHY we pay for it.

And here is a stunning admission: We are jolly glad to do so :-)!

Bonne santé :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 07:00   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Perhaps YOU love the so called "FREE" healthcare. The covid crisis has exposed Canada's healthcare system for what it is. Broken, rickety and expensive. This relic of the central planning/Stalin era must go. The ancient outdated holy grail of Canada must be sent to the dustbin of history.
I'll ask you the same question the anti-democracy folks on this thread couldn't answer. What better type of system do you advocate replace it, and how would that be better for everyone who lives in the country?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 10:03   #98

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I needed a good laugh. Thanks for this comical caricature .

The pandemic has indeed stressed our healthcare systemS, sometimes to the breaking point. I'm curious which country you think has done better? Which system has responded better than Canada?

Part of the weakness Covid-19 has laid bare is just how close we operate our systems all the time. This wasn't always the case. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Canada has slipped quite a bit over the last few decades in its relative spending on the public aspects of our systems. We used to ranke #2 in the world. Now we're down to something like 12th in per-capita spending. And by virtually every metric, from hospital beds to nurses, we rank considerably down the list in our peer group of countries.

We've cut the fat, to use a tired euphemism, largely in response to the constant drum beat of "LOWER TAXES!" But what this really means is we've prioritized efficiency over resiliency. We've adopted the business-like approach of 'just-in-time' service delivery, and in doing so have also adopted the same view to maintaining under-utilized capacity. In business, this is a waste to be avoided. So too in our healthcare systems now.

So the taxpayers have gotten the public healthcare system(s) that we collectively say we want. As the old adage goes, "Be careful what you wish for, lest it actually come true." Another one also applies here: "You get what you pay for."
Old 16-01-2022, 12:01   #99

Spot on Mike :-)!

We might mention also, that some, a few but a noticeable few, have OD'ed on the notion that "efficiency' in social matters is exactly analogous to "efficiency" in, say, manufacturing.

Wonder where those chaps buy their Kool-Aid — and if the bottles bear warning labels mandated by Health Canada :-)?

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 13:17   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I'll ask you the same question the anti-democracy folks on this thread couldn't answer. What better type of system do you advocate replace it, and how would that be better for everyone who lives in the country?

In reality, Canada does not have a public health care system. We have a network of private service providers that is funded by public money and controlled by a combination of the multi billion dollar pharma industry and politicians. The system does not promote health, but it waits for people to become ill and offers high priced treatments.
Old 16-01-2022, 13:24   #101

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
In reality, Canada does not have a public health care system. We have a network of private service providers that is funded by public money and controlled by a combination of the multi billion dollar pharma industry and politicians. The system does not promote health, but it waits for people to become ill and offers high priced treatments.
Yes, most physicians are "private service providers" (paid by public health care systems). However, most hospitals, nurses and staff are part of public health care systems. Differences in details exist across the provinces/territories.

High-priced treatments? For the most part, not billed to patients, nor to "private" insurance.

Sounds like "public health care" to me.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 13:37   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Yes, most physicians are "private service providers" (paid by public health care systems). However, most hospitals, nurses and staff are part of public health care systems. Differences in details exist across the provinces/territories.

High-priced treatments? For the most part, not billed to patients, nor to "private" insurance.

Sounds like "public health care" to me.

Does it really matter if treatments are paid by public money or private insurance? We are being ripped off by a giant bureaucracy. Yes, most doctors are independent contractors or their clinics are. Many hospitals are supposedly nonprofit institutions. But public money is funneled through them in a type of laundering operation. Executives receive high salaries and bonuses. Suppliers of goods and services charge clinics and hospitals inflated prices. Approximately 50% of the Nova Scotia annual provincial budget goes to health care. Is this sustainable? It should be obvious that the system is failing. The many cost over runs caused by the COVID pscyop may yet destroy public heath care and provincial and national economies.
Old 16-01-2022, 13:52   #103

Gotta fund that out of control gov spending I guess.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 13:54   #104

Quote:
Does it really matter if treatments are paid by public money or private insurance? We are being ripped off by a giant bureaucracy. Yes, most doctors are independent contractors or their clinics are. Many hospitals are supposedly nonprofit institutions. But public money is funneled through them in a type of laundering operation. Executives receive high salaries and bonuses. Suppliers of goods and services charge clinics and hospitals inflated prices. Approximately 50% of the Nova Scotia annual provincial budget goes to health care. Is this sustainable? It should be obvious that the system is failing. The many cost over runs caused by the COVID pscyop may yet destroy public heath care and provincial and national economies.

Mixing gov and private is how those fees got all out of hand, adding gov to any industry is a great way to screw it up, but I know, this time it’ll be different lol
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 13:59   #105

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:

Yes .. it matters a lot. It is my understanding that US hospitals have huge admin costs re billing and collection. No such problem with the single payer system.
I think that Mike has fairly described our systematic problems ... too much emphasis on blind cost-cutting and not enough on building a sustainable system. Approx 20 years ago, then BC Premier Campbell decided that our system would be "improved" by contracting out various services (cleaning, laundry, LT care) to the lowest bidder. Twenty years later those services are being recaptured into the public service because of their damaging effect on the quality of care especially the lack of infection control during the pandemic. Low cost often = low quality imo.

We CAN afford an improved healthcare system, and one that includes a real pharmacare system ... and I hope that a lasting impact of the pandemic will be to promote a more complete system. I've never claimed that such services are free ... they require adequate public funding. Maybe the pandemic will usher in a new era of provincial-federal cooperation on the funding issue.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Canada