Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 01:17   #1

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

My understanding in the past was that firearms were permitted to be locked on board after declaration and ammo accounting.

I recently read in the Waterway Guide to Bahamas 2022 edition that
Guns were not allowed over .308 caliber, max of 3, not permitted on center console boats. This would prohibit most popular handgun calibers such as 380, 9mm,40 cal, and 45

Have the rules changed? I have requested clarification from the Bahamas embassy in DC, who referred me to the consulate office, who has apparently not been able to reply to me for the last three weeks.

Any verifiable info out there? Any hints on who to ask?
Old 12-05-2022, 01:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

I cannot help, with your query; but it reminds me of the old aphorism:
Give a man a gun, and he will rob a bank.
Give a man a bank, and he will rob everyone.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I cannot help, with your query; but it reminds me of the old aphorism:
Give a man a gun, and he will rob a bank.
Give a man a bank, and he will rob everyone.
I'll take a gun, thank you ;-)
Old 12-05-2022, 01:54   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
My understanding in the past was that firearms were permitted to be locked on board after declaration and ammo accounting.

I recently read in the Waterway Guide to Bahamas 2022 edition that

Guns were not allowed over .308 caliber, max of 3, not permitted on center console boats. This would prohibit most popular handgun calibers such as 380, 9mm,40 cal, and 45

Have the rules changed? I have requested clarification from the Bahamas embassy in DC, who referred me to the consulate office, who has apparently not been able to reply to me for the last three weeks.

Any verifiable info out there? Any hints on who to ask?

The assumption that firearms can remain on board post declaration is just that an assumption. The rules always allowed for confiscation or prohibition in the first place.

Calibre restrictions and prohibitions on large hand gun calibre’s are increasingly common outside the US

The best advice is to leave them at home. Way too much hassle and paperwork and you risk temporary confiscation so you end up not having the firearm on board anyway.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The assumption that firearms can remain on board post declaration is just that an assumption. The rules always allowed for confiscation or prohibition in the first place.

Calibre restrictions and prohibitions on large hand gun calibre’s are increasingly common outside the US

The best advice is to leave them at home. Way too much hassle and paperwork and you risk temporary confiscation so you end up not having the firearm on board anyway.
Prior to my asking for information on this site (because I knew the opinion storm regarding firearms would take over ) I went to the trouble of doing some research.

So here's my "Assumption"

Pursuant to the Bahamas Statute Law enacted 1969 and amended 1972
Sec 213 - Part II- sec 6
and
Sec 213 - Part VII sec 43-4

visiting vessels in custody of non-Bahamians are exempted from restrictions on possession when declared and locked on board. Please see page 34

http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/cms/image...earmsAct_1.pdf

Yes the regulations are written into law, I just want to know if anyone has actual knowledge or experience , Not opinions.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:15   #6

Quote:
Prior to my asking for information on this site (because I knew the opinion storm regarding firearms would take over ) I went to the trouble of doing some research.

So here's my "Assumption"

Pursuant to the Bahamas Statute Law enacted 1969 and amended 1972
Sec 213 - Part II- sec 6
and
Sec 213 - Part VII sec 43-4

visiting vessels in custody of non-Bahamians are exempted from restrictions on possession when declared and locked on board. Please see page 34

Yes the regulations are written into law, I just want to know if anyone has actual knowledge or experience , Not opinions.
I have a house in the Bahamas and have been through Bahamas customs many dozens if not hundreds of times. I have found that the letter of the law (which unless you're a Bahamian attorney I've found you almost certainly don't understand if you're relying on 5 minutes of Google searching) is one of the least important factors in determining what actions a customs official will take. And I can tell you that if I picked 5 "actual experiences" out of that and used them to generalize what your specific experience would be with the same fact pattern I would almost certainly be wrong, no matter if it involves what kind of gun you can bring or if you have to pay duty on the cordless tool set you bring in.

If that "actual experience" isn't what you want to hear, then please have the courtesy to let us all know in advance before we spend our personal time to craft a thoughtful answer in an attempt to be helpful. We can then give your questions the attention they deserve going forward.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I have a house in the Bahamas and have been through Bahamas customs many dozens if not hundreds of times. I have found that the letter of the law (which unless you're a Bahamian attorney I've found you almost certainly don't understand if you're relying on 5 minutes of Google searching) is one of the least important factors in determining what actions a customs official will take. And I can tell you that if I picked 5 "actual experiences" out of that and used them to generalize what your specific experience would be with the same fact pattern I would almost certainly be wrong, no matter if it involves what kind of gun you can bring or if you have to pay duty on the cordless tool set you bring in.

If that "actual experience" isn't what you want to hear, then please have the courtesy to let us all know in advance before we spend our personal time to craft a thoughtful answer in an attempt to be helpful. We can then give your questions the attention they deserve going forward.
Rob,
Thank you for your efforts to help. I'm not unappreciative of your efforts.

As I am sure you are aware, the Bahamas can be confusing when it comes to rules, regulations, and fees. I think there was a multi year period where cruising permit fees were different depending on where you checked in.

my research has confirmed that the rules exempted firearms on private vessels not owned by Bahamian citizens. I'm trying to verify if that has changed.

Different sources have conflicting regulations such as a limit of three firearms with a maximum caliber of .308

Whether or not I decide to have any firearms on board I have'nt decided. I would however like to be clear on the regulations.

Again, thank you for your help and I did not wish to direct any negative comments to you.
Old 16-05-2022, 10:26   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Rob,
Thank you for your efforts to help. I'm not unappreciative of your efforts.

As I am sure you are aware, the Bahamas can be confusing when it comes to rules, regulations, and fees. I think there was a multi year period where cruising permit fees were different depending on where you checked in.

my research has confirmed that the rules exempted firearms on private vessels not owned by Bahamian citizens. I'm trying to verify if that has changed.

Different sources have conflicting regulations such as a limit of three firearms with a maximum caliber of .308

Whether or not I decide to have any firearms on board I have'nt decided. I would however like to be clear on the regulations.

Again, thank you for your help and I did not wish to direct any negative comments to you.
Most people would regard a .45ACP as being smaller than a .308 in spite of it being a bigger bore. Just look at the two cartridges side by side. .44 Magnum or bigger sounds scary to non-gunners so they might be considered bigger and badder. Truth be, a .308 rifle, a 12ga shotgun, and basically any medium or large bore handgun should be about the biggest practical arsenal you would want to bother with, anyway. So any 3 gun rule would be moot. The .308 limit would be moot, for most persons.

I think I would try to get your questions answered through official channels, if I were you. Customs and Port State Control in general have a lot of wiggle room, anywhere in the world, in interpreting and applying the law. I am what you would call a gun nut, I suppose, but even I would give some thought to going unarmed. Or maybe a short tac shotgun, only. Weapons can be a big hassle on the boat in foreign ports and waters.
Old 14-05-2022, 07:59   #9

Pertinent law.

The key point is that the weapon and the precise amount of ammunition is to be declared, locked away, not brought on shore and NOT USED.

I see no restriction as to caliber, rather the prohibited weapons and ammunition types are listed in Section 30.

If one must comply with such constraints, that inherently begs the question why would one bother to bring a weapon to the Bahamas if one is never allowed to ever make use of such device, basically it would be illegal to use such for its intended purpose?

Just saying.
Old 14-05-2022, 08:21   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Pertinent law.

The key point is that the weapon and the precise amount of ammunition is to be declared, locked away, not brought on shore and NOT USED.

I see no restriction as to caliber, rather the prohibited weapons and ammunition types are listed in Section 30.

If one must comply with such constraints, that inherently begs the question why would one bother to bring a weapon to the Bahamas if one is never allowed to ever make use of such device, basically it would be illegal to use such for its intended purpose?

Just saying.

Yes but customs in the Bahamas in June 2021 changed the rules to introduce a calibre and number of firearms limit. That’s what the OP is on about. This presumably was done under a different different branch of the law and could even be done by ministerial order depending on the underlying customs legislation. There might not be any specific statue reference
Old 14-05-2022, 12:17   #11

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
My take is that it also affects those who might be traveling through, but also wish to visit the Bahamas en route. That is, you could have no expectation of using or even needing it there, but would still be prevented from having it locked up aboard.

A size limit of .308 for rifles leaves a decent number of available calibers, but if applied to handguns it would rule out many of the most popular calibers and almost act as a more complete ban. (In such a case the practical solution might be to simply get something in 5.7x28, if OP can afford the pricing.)
Old 14-05-2022, 14:55   #12

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Pertinent law.

Just saying.
Handguns are illegal in the Bahamas for regular citizens and residents, as are rifles and automatic(or semi) weapons. It is possible to get a license for a shotgun for the purposes of hunting.

The constitution states a mandatory 10 year jail sentence for persons found in possession of an unlicensed /illegal firearm, although it is rarely given due to the prison being occupied way beyond capacity.
Not worth the trouble. 10 years in Fox Hill would not be much fun!
Old 16-05-2022, 11:42   #13

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Pertinent law.

Just saying.
All of these anti gun posts miss the point.

My boat is not capable of instantaneous teleportation between the US, and other Caribbean countries.

When I've arrived in a patrolled port or marina with armed security, and local police, and surrounded by other tourists a gun is most likely not going to be needed.

But 100 miles offshore near countries in the middle of a civil war, the police aren't likely to come when called, and even more likely on the same side of the crooks.

That's why international law, and law of the sea recognize the right to carry arms on board a ship in international waters.

And every country has a procedure for checking in weapons while at port.

With the one limitation, the arms declared should be legal to own in your home port.

With a few countries adding additional caliber restrictions.
Old 16-05-2022, 08:24   #14

Was not an issue. When we went to customs they wanted a picture of the weapon (9mm) which showed the s/n and the number of rounds that we had on board which which in this case was two (2) boxes of 50.
The prior year they came on board to visually inspect the weapon and count the number of rounds. In both cases was a non-event.
Old 17-05-2022, 20:28   #15

Boat: Lagoon 40

Play it safe - don’t take any. Stay away from Nassau and you won’t need any. Respect other country’s laws and cultures when visiting. And if you don’t like that - don’t go.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, rule