Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 11:50   #16

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I have a house in the Bahamas and have been through Bahamas customs many dozens if not hundreds of times. I have found that the letter of the law (which unless you're a Bahamian attorney I've found you almost certainly don't understand if you're relying on 5 minutes of Google searching) is one of the least important factors in determining what actions a customs official will take. And I can tell you that if I picked 5 "actual experiences" out of that and used them to generalize what your specific experience would be with the same fact pattern I would almost certainly be wrong, no matter if it involves what kind of gun you can bring or if you have to pay duty on the cordless tool set you bring in.

If that "actual experience" isn't what you want to hear, then please have the courtesy to let us all know in advance before we spend our personal time to craft a thoughtful answer in an attempt to be helpful. We can then give your questions the attention they deserve going forward.
Rob,
Thank you for your efforts to help. I'm not unappreciative of your efforts.

As I am sure you are aware, the Bahamas can be confusing when it comes to rules, regulations, and fees. I think there was a multi year period where cruising permit fees were different depending on where you checked in.

my research has confirmed that the rules exempted firearms on private vessels not owned by Bahamian citizens. I'm trying to verify if that has changed.

Different sources have conflicting regulations such as a limit of three firearms with a maximum caliber of .308

Whether or not I decide to have any firearms on board I have'nt decided. I would however like to be clear on the regulations.

Again, thank you for your help and I did not wish to direct any negative comments to you.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaChris View Post
I genuinely don’t mean this is a confrontational way. But you just pleaded with the entire community to NOT share their opinions while in the same post you characterize a group of people as crazy gun addicts. A lot of people would consider that language insulting and might then ignore an otherwise reasonable request to keep a controversial political topic off a message board where it really doesn’t have much place.

Sorry about the Crazy Gun Addicts comment, that was directed to some who think that is true.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:01   #18

Here is the source information for my confusion

https://www.bahamascustoms.gov.bs/re...aqs/#cattitle9
Old 12-05-2022, 12:08   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The rules changed in June 2021

As of June 2021, the following remains true:

There is a limit of three firearms per vessel, of which the caliber may not exceed .308.
No more than 250 rounds of ammunition are allowed for each firearm.
All automatic weapons are prohibited.
No weapons are permitted for any center console vessels. If firearms are found on center console boats entering the country, they will be taken by police and returned upon departure.
All firearms must be kept under lock and key while in the country and may not be taken off the boat for any reason without obtaining a permit through Bahamian police first. The Bahamas recently increased the penalties and sentences for those who break local firearms laws, and those caught violating gun laws will be dealt with accordingly. It is not uncommon for visitors to the Bahamas to be arrested when found with guns onboard illegally.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I cannot help, with your query; but it reminds me of the old aphorism:
Give a man a gun, and he will rob a bank.
Give a man a bank, and he will rob everyone.
I'll take a gun, thank you ;-)
Old 12-05-2022, 12:14   #21
Nearly an old salt

Clearly “ lock and key “ may be locally interpreted
Old 12-05-2022, 12:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

There is a limit of three firearms per vessel, of which the caliber may not exceed .308.
No weapons are permitted for any center console vessels. If firearms are found on center console boats entering the country, they will be taken by police and returned upon departure.
All firearms must be kept under lock and key while in the country and may not be taken off the boat for any reason without obtaining a permit through Bahamian police first. The Bahamas recently increased the penalties and sentences for those who break local firearms laws, and those caught violating gun laws will be dealt with accordingly. It is not uncommon for visitors to the Bahamas to be arrested when found with guns onboard illegally.
Can you tell me any source documentation for the change? I think you may be correct as this is partially stated in the Bahamas customs site
https://www.bahamascustoms.gov.bs/re...aqs/#cattitle9
but I am curious as to the source of the statute change.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2022, 12:44   #23
Nearly an old salt

I believe the rules are implemented by customs authorities rather then a specific amendment to the firearms acts.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:52   #24

Boat: Malo 39

Get rid of them and send them to Ukraine. They will make better use of them that you ever will.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:53   #25

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Interesting choice of caliber limit. This means an AK-47 can legally be brought into the country with 250 rounds of ammo whereas a 9mm handgun or carbine would be illegal.
Old 12-05-2022, 13:03   #26

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Prior to my asking for information on this site (because I knew the opinion storm regarding firearms would take over ) I went to the trouble of doing some research.

So here's my "Assumption"

Pursuant to the Bahamas Statute Law enacted 1969 and amended 1972
Sec 213 - Part II- sec 6
and
Sec 213 - Part VII sec 43-4

visiting vessels in custody of non-Bahamians are exempted from restrictions on possession when declared and locked on board. Please see page 34

http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/cms/image...earmsAct_1.pdf

Yes the regulations are written into law, I just want to know if anyone has actual knowledge or experience , Not opinions.
I don't believe it is possible to ask a "just the facts ma'am" question about firearms on the forum without the thread turning to opinion....just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2022, 13:06   #27

Boat: Baba 40

[QUOTE=Rumrace;3621575]I’m Canadian so stupid question about guns expected.
Why would you need a gun in the Bahamas?]

Because, you know, Americans…
Old 12-05-2022, 13:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
Interesting choice of caliber limit. This means an AK-47 can legally be brought into the country with 250 rounds of ammo whereas a 9mm handgun or carbine would be illegal.
I think an AK-47 may run afoul of the accompanying automatic weapons ban. But again, a customs agent in the Bahamas could certainly insist they hold an AK-47 for you until you left for any reason or no reason at all. Heck, they can essentially decide if they let you in or not based on some pretty opaque reasoning which may include the guns you tried to bring over. Or alternatively it could be a guy I worked with during Opbat who I knew was a gun afficianado and he'd be thrilled to have an hour long talk about it and let me in with no problem, but maybe not some random other person he didn't already know came from a LE background. The Bahamas are far more idiosyncratic than most of the U.S., which can be frustrating but is also part of the fun!
Old 12-05-2022, 13:17   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I think an AK-47 may run afoul of the accompanying automatic weapons ban. But again, a customs agent in the
AK-47 and AR-15 are sold to the public in Semi-Automatic only and don't have fully automatic capabilities. 'Automatic' weapons and 'semi-automatic' weapons are very different things.

Also, in most places the handgun and long-gun rounds are listed separately. .308 is a large rifle round and in no way comparable to a .32 ACP round. I can't account for how some Bahamian immigration officer is going to interpret their law, but anyone who has spent any time at the gun range would not confuse these concepts. Holding the two rounds in your hand would yield little confusion.
Old 12-05-2022, 13:17   #30

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigdaddy View Post
I don't believe it is possible to ask a "just the facts ma'am" question about firearms on the forum without the thread turning to opinion....just my opinion.
That’s exactly what he asked. And apparently it’s a good question.

Whether people contribute useful information or not is sadly dependent on the responder. Not surprisingly I can’t read a bunch of replies from “the repeat offenders.”

Hopefully someone useful will come along with the answer.

Tags
Bahamas, rule