Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 01:17   #1
Registered User
 
pesarsten's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete
Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Posts: 683
Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

My understanding in the past was that firearms were permitted to be locked on board after declaration and ammo accounting.

I recently read in the Waterway Guide to Bahamas 2022 edition that
Guns were not allowed over .308 caliber, max of 3, not permitted on center console boats. This would prohibit most popular handgun calibers such as 380, 9mm,40 cal, and 45

Have the rules changed? I have requested clarification from the Bahamas embassy in DC, who referred me to the consulate office, who has apparently not been able to reply to me for the last three weeks.

Any verifiable info out there? Any hints on who to ask?
__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
pesarsten is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 01:29   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 47,053
Images: 241
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

I cannot help, with your query; but it reminds me of the old aphorism:
Give a man a gun, and he will rob a bank.
Give a man a bank, and he will rob everyone.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now  
Old 12-05-2022, 01:54   #3
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 19,241
Images: 3
Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
My understanding in the past was that firearms were permitted to be locked on board after declaration and ammo accounting.



I recently read in the Waterway Guide to Bahamas 2022 edition that

Guns were not allowed over .308 caliber, max of 3, not permitted on center console boats. This would prohibit most popular handgun calibers such as 380, 9mm,40 cal, and 45



Have the rules changed? I have requested clarification from the Bahamas embassy in DC, who referred me to the consulate office, who has apparently not been able to reply to me for the last three weeks.



Any verifiable info out there? Any hints on who to ask?


The assumption that firearms can remain on board post declaration is just that an assumption. The rules always allowed for confiscation or prohibition in the first place.

Calibre restrictions and prohibitions on large hand gun calibreís are increasingly common outside the US

The best advice is to leave them at home. Way too much hassle and paperwork and you risk temporary confiscation so you end up not having the firearm on board anyway.
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 04:25   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Posts: 1,041
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

I’m Canadian so stupid question about guns expected.
Why would you need a gun in the Bahamas?
Shooting the fixed roulette tables won’t fix them.
I’ve watch the boarder TV show and some very angry Americans upset no handgun is allowed in Canada. I really don’t understand why you are not relieved. You just need a fishing rod here.
I’ve been all over Bahamas but it’s been a few years. Has there been a spike in crime in our commonwealth neighbour?
Rumrace is online now  
Old 12-05-2022, 04:29   #5
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 19,241
Images: 3
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Iím Canadian so stupid question about guns expected.
Why would you need a gun in the Bahamas?
Shooting the fixed roulette tables wonít fix them.
Iíve watch the boarder TV show and some very angry Americans upset no handgun is allowed in Canada. I really donít understand why you are not relieved. You just need a fishing rod here.
Iíve been all over Bahamas but itís been a few years. Has there been a spike in crime in our commonwealth neighbour?


Donít prod the hornets nest. Itís a US thing, the need to feel armed at all times , like when shopping for groceries in Texas. ( seemingly an incredibly risky business given the number of open carries Iíve seen , maybe the Russians are on the outskirts of Houston or something

Sorry couldnít resist a poke myself it is rather hilarious.
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 04:37   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: wandering the keys
Boat: old Cat 30
Posts: 126
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that their prohibition of calibers bigger than 308 doesn't actually include those handgun rounds because they're 'smaller.'

It's likely that someone who knows almost nothing about firearms decided that was a good enough cut off 'for safety.' As usual.

Of course, my assumption is not at all helpful so I'll be interested to hear what you find out.
soopad00pa is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 04:50   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Posts: 1,041
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

You’re right. Sorry scratch that dumb question.
My bad
Rumrace is online now  
Old 12-05-2022, 05:00   #8
Registered User
 
markpj23's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bradenton FL
Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Posts: 1,180
Images: 47
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Foud some Bahamas entry paperwork left on the boat by the PO. He had a .45 cal pistol aboard and cleared it in through Bahamian customs / immigration apparently.
FWIW...
__________________
Mark
markpj23 is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 08:00   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,580
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Foud some Bahamas entry paperwork left on the boat by the PO. He had a .45 cal pistol aboard and cleared it in through Bahamian customs / immigration apparently.
FWIW...
Like many things in officialdom in the Bahamas I suspect your experience will vary wildly based on both the luck of thr draw of who you get clearing you in and their mood along with maybe their perception of you when you arrive. Especially since I think they officially have wide latitude on that. If you come in with two giant flags flying advertising your favorite U.S. politician with your own mini "boat parade" (yes, I have seen that more than once in the Abacos) and run into one of the guys whose memory is still fresh of the crazy America with a gun on his sailboat in GTC you may have them questioning your flare gun. If you are respectful and get the right person, as some have reported here, they might pass you on after you declare with no fanfare.
redneckrob is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 10:03   #10
Registered User
 
pesarsten's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete
Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Posts: 683
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

I know that it's very very hard for some people to withhold their feelings on gun ownership, or crazy gun addicted Americans, but please make a supreme effort to NOT give your opinions on these issues!

I'm asking what the current laws are, and if they have changed in the recent past. ONLY!
__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
pesarsten is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 10:21   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Charleston SC
Boat: Other People’s Boats
Posts: 10
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
I know that it's very very hard for some people to withhold their feelings on gun ownership, or crazy gun addicted Americans, but please make a supreme effort to NOT give your opinions on these issues!

I'm asking what the current laws are, and if they have changed in the recent past. ONLY!
I genuinely donít mean this is a confrontational way. But you just pleaded with the entire community to NOT share their opinions while in the same post you characterize a group of people as crazy gun addicts. A lot of people would consider that language insulting and might then ignore an otherwise reasonable request to keep a controversial political topic off a message board where it really doesnít have much place.
CarolinaChris is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 10:26   #12
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 19,241
Images: 3
Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Like many things in officialdom in the Bahamas I suspect your experience will vary wildly based on both the luck of thr draw of who you get clearing you in and their mood along with maybe their perception of you when you arrive. Especially since I think they officially have wide latitude on that. If you come in with two giant flags flying advertising your favorite U.S. politician with your own mini "boat parade" (yes, I have seen that more than once in the Abacos) and run into one of the guys whose memory is still fresh of the crazy America with a gun on his sailboat in GTC you may have them questioning your flare gun. If you are respectful and get the right person, as some have reported here, they might pass you on after you declare with no fanfare.


This is the typically correct answer.

In most countries the local police or firearms authorities have a very wide range of options and decide on the spot to apply any combination of them depending on how you come across and on the day who you meet. They may access your gun safe , your reasons for having the firearm etc and decide appropriate measures.

Hence you can get a very wide variety of experiences and itís hard to be precise. The fact is that firearms on board small leisure yachts are comparatively rare and hence thereís little body of experiences to draw upon.

Again , the most precise information that works every time is to leave the firearm at home.
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 10:32   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Posts: 1,041
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Pre Covid in a Regatta in the US we were suddenly under attack by 3 American boats.
We made attempts to repel boarders but their fast load suction cup water balloon mortars were just too much for surgical tube launcher. Fortunately with a clear deck unencumbered by massive weaponry I made a quick escape and won that leg out of balloon range.
Rumrace is online now  
Old 12-05-2022, 10:57   #14
Registered User
 
pesarsten's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete
Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Posts: 683
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The assumption that firearms can remain on board post declaration is just that an assumption. The rules always allowed for confiscation or prohibition in the first place.

Calibre restrictions and prohibitions on large hand gun calibreís are increasingly common outside the US

The best advice is to leave them at home. Way too much hassle and paperwork and you risk temporary confiscation so you end up not having the firearm on board anyway.
Prior to my asking for information on this site (because I knew the opinion storm regarding firearms would take over ) I went to the trouble of doing some research.

So here's my "Assumption"

Pursuant to the Bahamas Statute Law enacted 1969 and amended 1972
Sec 213 - Part II- sec 6
and
Sec 213 - Part VII sec 43-4

visiting vessels in custody of non-Bahamians are exempted from restrictions on possession when declared and locked on board. Please see page 34

http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/cms/image...earmsAct_1.pdf

Yes the regulations are written into law, I just want to know if anyone has actual knowledge or experience , Not opinions.
__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
pesarsten is offline  
Old 12-05-2022, 11:15   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,580
Re: Bahamas Rules For Firearms On Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Prior to my asking for information on this site (because I knew the opinion storm regarding firearms would take over ) I went to the trouble of doing some research.

So here's my "Assumption"

Pursuant to the Bahamas Statute Law enacted 1969 and amended 1972
Sec 213 - Part II- sec 6
and
Sec 213 - Part VII sec 43-4

visiting vessels in custody of non-Bahamians are exempted from restrictions on possession when declared and locked on board. Please see page 34

http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/cms/image...earmsAct_1.pdf

Yes the regulations are written into law, I just want to know if anyone has actual knowledge or experience , Not opinions.
I have a house in the Bahamas and have been through Bahamas customs many dozens if not hundreds of times. I have found that the letter of the law (which unless you're a Bahamian attorney I've found you almost certainly don't understand if you're relying on 5 minutes of Google searching) is one of the least important factors in determining what actions a customs official will take. And I can tell you that if I picked 5 "actual experiences" out of that and used them to generalize what your specific experience would be with the same fact pattern I would almost certainly be wrong, no matter if it involves what kind of gun you can bring or if you have to pay duty on the cordless tool set you bring in.

If that "actual experience" isn't what you want to hear, then please have the courtesy to let us all know in advance before we spend our personal time to craft a thoughtful answer in an attempt to be helpful. We can then give your questions the attention they deserve going forward.
redneckrob is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, rule

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you're going to cruise with firearms, follow the rules (example) Whitebread117 Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany 122 21-07-2016 04:53

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.