Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 22:17   #31

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Australian AMSA registered boat, which State registration to complement it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
And there are people who have gotten away with not being properly registered for years. Friends of ours had their Tassie registered boat in a Qld marina, directly in view of the local water police boat, for at least 5 years with no hassles.
I think Water Police in QLD have more important tasks than checking state rego.

I think QLD Boating & Fisheries Patrol is the primary agency checking state boat rego in QLD. Water Police will of course issue a breach if the matter is brought to their attention.

We've used three marinas on the QLD east coast as our home base over the past several years. In two of those marinas, the QLD Boating & Fisheries Patrol would visit about once a year to check on rego. Usually one officer in a boat, but occasionally an officer walked the pontoons.

One year the QB&FPatrol thug told me that I was in breach because I had affixed my rego sticker on the port bow (beside the rego alphanumerics). Another year I received a letter from them telling me I was in breach (I'm often slow affixing the new sticker).

One year a thuggish sergeant, with BMI >30, of the QLD Water Police also told me I was in breach by affixing my rego sticker on the port bow. I treated him less dismissively than the clown from QF&BP, because I knew he and his team had spent a few hours collecting the brain matter from a drunken dolt who'd ridden his jet ski into a runabout. Rego sticker is still on the port bow and not on the stern.
Old 20-03-2019, 22:22   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We spent a bit of time getting everything sent to us electronically.
Australia post also has this option for FREE which we has been using for 3 years.

https://auspost.com.au/receiving/alt...for-deliveries
Thank you, good tip.

Yes, I think I am about 99% electronic already, but, in one of those supreme bits of irony, the South Australian system still sends registration labels for boats in the snail-mail. Yep, go figure. The abolished them on cars years ago, but not for boats.

But so far either Tasmania and Victoria look like they will become my new state of registration, probably for the time I am bumming around (a few years) Victoria will be best because of all the family options I have there, though I am planning to move to Tasmania after I've got the travel bug out of my system.

As StuM noted, no need to update the home port with AMSA, so there's a saving of $110.
Old 20-03-2019, 22:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
One year the QB&FPatrol thug told me that I was in breach because I had affixed my rego sticker on the port bow (beside the rego alphanumerics).
Hopefully it will never matter to me, but where are you supposed to put the sticker on a QLD registered boat?

I put mine on the the port aft deckhouse window because you can see it from the helm (good reminder that you are about to get reamed for more $$$) and visible to someone coming along side or walking the jetty.
Old 20-03-2019, 22:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hopefully it will never matter to me, but where are you supposed to put the sticker on a QLD registered boat?
Quote:
The registration label must be displayed:

. on the outside of the boat
. above the waterline
. near the registration numbers.

If the registration numbers are displayed on the side of the boat or PWC the registration label should be displayed on the left (port) side.
Source: https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/boa...n/recreational

In other words, the two clowns I quoted (the thuggish obese QLD Water Police sergeant and the QF&BP thug), knew not their own regulations.

In the above post I forgot to mention that one other set of govt officials also check QLD boat rego in QLD. They're the Marine Officers of the Dept of Transport. Last year, officers of the QF&BP went on strike because they are paid less than the Marine Officers of the Dept of Transport ($A38/hour v $A28/hour for entry level officers).

I suspect the ones that walk the pontoons are the Marine Officers from Dept. Transport. They don't need to have a coxswain's ticket, nor a marine driver's licence to hold their jobs. The officers of the QF&BP do have to have coxswain's ticket and a MDL.

The officers of QF&BP do have the right, once they have formed a reasonable doubt, to board and inspect your boat.
Old 20-03-2019, 22:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
The officers of QF&BP do have the right, once they have formed a reasonable doubt, to board and inspect your boat.
For a legal view on that, see: https://www.mcw.com.au/page/Publicat...heries-patrol/

However I dispute vigorously the accuracy of the final three sentences of that, namely:

Quote:
That said the inspectors of the QBFP have a good reputation of being polite and considerate. The inspectors are a terrific source of information about marine safety and fisheries regulations. In addition they are a good source for tips about navigating local waters and in relation to where to drop a line.
Old 21-03-2019, 00:43   #36

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
My boat has AMSA registration and Fremantle as home port, but since I am not in AU, I don't pay any state regio. Zilch!

When I get there I will worry about it.
You probably can stop paying state regio once you leave AU.
Yep, I do the same.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 00:54   #37

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
....I just forked out AU$375 for the privilege of bouncing around the Gulf St Vincent for a year.
Well, if you are paid up in SA for the next 12 months I wouldn't worry about it for the next 12 months.... by which time who knows where you may be..... with a bit of luck you will be in foreign parts....

I think you may be over thinking this.....
Old 21-03-2019, 01:26   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I think you may be over thinking this.....

I am a chronic over thinker but it has the advantage that I am rarely caught out needing to make a decision on the hop. So when I pack up the show and sail out of this place in November I’ll have a plan of attack for the next renewal, wherever I am.
Old 21-03-2019, 03:04   #39

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Man that’s ridiculous - my UK registration is £25 ($40 Aussie) for 5 years. Yep, five. I’m sailing back to Aus later this year and knew SA rego was expensive, but that’s ridiculous.

Keep us posted with what you find on cheap registration as otherwise, I’ll be keeping mine UK registered!!!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 03:05   #40

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Yep, I do the same.
That’s a good point actually.. do they issue you with paperwork that states the registration expiry, or just a reg certificate?

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 05:45   #41

Australian AMSA registered boat, which State registration to complement it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Man that’s ridiculous - my UK registration is £25 ($40 Aussie) for 5 years. Yep, five. I’m sailing back to Aus later this year and knew SA rego was expensive, but that’s ridiculous.

Keep us posted with what you find on cheap registration as otherwise, I’ll be keeping mine UK registered!!!

N

Yes. It’s pretty steep. In fairness, less than QLD and WA, but in QLD at least there’s lots of boating infrastructure at your disposal. Can’t speak for WA, don’t know it well enough.

But I certainly do NOT feel I get my money’s worth here in South Australia.

Tassie is really looking like the best value for money in terms of the boating bang for your registration buck.

The UK rego is all very well but most of the state regs here seem to have a limit on international boat rego duration. I think QLD was one year from a quote above.
Old 21-03-2019, 05:46   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
This has been covered. You need to be registered in a state that actually has rego. Then you can stay in other states for up to 90 days. (Tasmania doesnt requireTas rego unless you're going to live there.)

To be honest from what Ive seen, the authorities seem to be more interested in the rego status of your dnghy than the big boat.

And there are people who have gotten away with not being properly registered for years. Friends of ours had their Tassie registered boat in a Qld marina, directly in view of the local water police boat, for at least 5 years with no hassles.
I use to just have Aust. rego years ago and run the gauntlet as they say and got jumped at Pancake creek by Fisheries in 93, as I lived on the boat then my business was in NSW, car rego SA and Qld drivers licence and life time Qld boat licence and an SA birth cert. had em bamboozled as I passed allthe papers at once, I said ever time I get harassed by you authorities I do as they ask, and what do you want me to do now? As I live part of the year in SA and NSW and Qld and I going to Darwin next year for a work Contract on Tindal Air Base. They had no answer.
Much older now and everything registered and licensed in Qld. and no hassells.
Electric Torqeedo outboard on walker bay 9ft. with removable nav lights with signed tender to and yacht rego number.
Cheers, Thanks for the reply.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 12:15   #43

Quote:
Yes. It’s pretty steep. In fairness, less than QLD and WA, but in QLD at least there’s lots of boating infrastructure at your disposal. Can’t speak for WA, don’t know it well enough.

But I certainly do NOT feel I get my money’s worth here in South Australia.

Tassie is really looking like the best value for money in terms of the boating bang for your registration buck.

The UK rego is all very well but most of the state regs here seem to have a limit on international boat rego duration. I think QLD was one year from a quote above.
But they are taking them all away if you want to do some shopping like we use to be able to do. like tie up to the public wharfs and go shopping get some water from the tap that is no longer there you only have twenty minutes or cop a fine, which I do not know how much and if you fuel up make sure your fuel tanks are empty as not enough money spent "No water" the water tap at where I use to moor at takes like 15 to 20 mins to fill 25 litres and you have tightly hold it open to get that flow, everyone use to lock their tenders to a pole there which now our expensive council places a sticker stating how many days you have before they remove it. they all so banned us from the old wharf so now if you want to go shopping you have to beach it, weight what am i saying two deep mud it and if you have to take a taxi there is nowhere to clean the mud off. A couple of elderly cruisers going north last year were struggling in the mud after the water police were staring at them as they tied to the floating 20min wharf took the hint and motored the half mile to what looked like a sanding beach it is from high tide up I was in my ute as I had spotted their traditional yacht and was admiring it when they came around the break wall in their tender then try to disembark into the mud knee deep the poor lady of some years was a little distraught so I offered to go and get my new station wagon with 2 x 20l of water to clean themselves and took them all the way woolworths instead of the IGA that was 400 metres up the road our conversation was all about the loss of facilities in Qld. When we got back I was truly glad to see that their tender was still there as I would never leave mine there and then more mudlarking.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 04:13   #44

Reading your comments makes it sound like QLD and South Aussie are just like Florida. Too bad. I remember when Florida was backwards and friendly back in the 70's, but it certainly no longer is.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 05:50   #45

Can’t speak for QLD, but South Australia is still reasonably relaxed and friendly. A bit odd that the rego cost is so high though. It makes sense in QLD, although peter57 has noted some trouble in paradise. But the thing about boating in South Australia is there is so very little infrastructure. I think I could count the number of harbours on one hand for a start, the number of boat ramps on two. Makes the price of rego feel pretty harsh.

Tags
Australia, boat, men, registration