Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2019, 06:29   #46

Boat: Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43'
Re: Australian AMSA registered boat, which State registration to complement it?

Hi I'm In Darwin with AMSA rego intending to sail east in November, it sounds like it would be easier to go north. It would be easier and cheaper than checking in and registering us and the boat in each country on the east coast ( oops sorry I meant state). I would take it I would also have to buy a HIN to put on the boat as well. One positive is they could send their notices to my physical address, oh that's right I won't have one.
The question about insurance, I only have AMSA rego and have insurance. So you don't have to have state rego to get insurance.
They really come up with things that are unmanageable, if I was to sail west I could spend 3 months in the Kimberly's then what get an address in Broome to register the boat. I know WA won't let you register a vehicle without a WA address.
Just Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 15:03   #47

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Awesome View Post
Hi I'm In Darwin with AMSA rego intending to sail east in November, it sounds like it would be easier to go north. It would be easier and cheaper than checking in and registering us and the boat in each country on the east coast ( oops sorry I meant state). I would take it I would also have to buy a HIN to put on the boat as well. One positive is they could send their notices to my physical address, oh that's right I won't have one.
The question about insurance, I only have AMSA rego and have insurance. So you don't have to have state rego to get insurance.
They really come up with things that are unmanageable, if I was to sail west I could spend 3 months in the Kimberly's then what get an address in Broome to register the boat. I know WA won't let you register a vehicle without a WA address.
Can't speak for other states, and I guess I am soon to find out, but South Australia accepted my AMSA issued Official Number (O.N.) in lieu of a HIN, although it took them a few inter departmental phone calls because I stupidly took my paperwork to the government service point nearest my place of work, not the one nearest the boating facilities. If I had gone to the Port Adelaide branch near the harbour they would have known exactly how to handle my situation.

FWIW, as much as I resent spending money for no purpose, I would much rather pay an otherwise pointless registration fee than suffer the death-by-bureaucracy potential of having no state registration. So in your situation I would take a look and see in which STATE I was likely to spend the most time and register the boat there if it meant I would fall afoul of their registration requirements, or, do as I will and register the boat to a state that offers a good deal because I do not expect to spend long enough any any state to hit their limitations.
Old 29-03-2019, 09:48   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashed View Post
There are also other state laws, for example, If a boat is in Qld for longer than 3 months (I think) it must be registered in Qld.

If you were doing a slow cirmnavagion you may have to keep re-registering in every state (if you stay too long)
My boat has AMSA registration, and home harbour stated as "Darwin". As others have mentioned, the NT does not rip people off with utterly useless "state boat registrations". So far we never had any trouble in QLD - we even asked whether we had to register in QLD, and when we responded that we had no residential address there, we were told we couldn't even register it there.
pufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 18:19   #49

Apropos fees:

SA fee to transfer water allocation is $259, Victoria is $46.30, NSW is $49.50.

And SA takes the longest to approve.
macgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 00:59   #50

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgreer View Post
Apropos fees:

SA fee to transfer water allocation is $259, Victoria is $46.30, NSW is $49.50.

And SA takes the longest to approve.
What's a water allocation? I'm guessing something to do with farming?

But yes, the bureaucracy in South Australia is astounding. I really notice it when I come back from interstate visits.

Tags
Australia, boat, men, registration