Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2021, 17:36   #1

Winterizing in the Pacific NW?

This question is for the boaters of the western parts of Oregon, Washington and B.C. (aka Cascadia) since it is a different climate then found on the eastern sides of those respective states.

Since the climate is considered temperate and less harsh than what might be found elsewhere in the northern parts of North America, I am curious how many people actually winterize their boats?

I have a 36’ sailboat, Diesel Engine and moored in a slip year around with electricity on the Columbia River. I almost always winterize the boat to some extent. We do travel at times in the winter and can be away for as much as 2 weeks at a time.

But I don’t see many other people winterizing and when I ask around, I don’t find many that people saying that they winterize.

However, it would be nice to have the boat functioning in the winter so we could actually hang out on it at times.

So other then making sure the Seacocks are closed am I wasting time and money for no reason?

If your in this region..do you winterize?
Tigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 18:11   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31
Re: Winterizing in the Pacific NW?

I do not think you need to winterize.

I have my boat in Seattle. If the temperature is forecasted for a rare drop below freezing, I will leave my Caframo heater on for a day or two. But, the temperature of the water is well above freezing and it should keep the boat above that temperature, too.

I do keep an air dryer running inside the boat over the winter. It prevents mildew and slightly warms the air inside the boat.
FuneSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 19:40   #3

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

My boat is on the Columbia river. December- February when I go somewhere to find the sun. I put some pink RV antifreeze in the head, turn off water tanks and run water system until nothing comes out and run some antifreeze through diesel.
I do have a electric oil type heater set on about 45 and a webasto heater set at 40.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 13:12   #4

Boat: Atlas Pompano 21

I keep my boat on the hard, in La Conner, WA. I don't have a head or drinking water to worry about, but make sure to drain the raw water from the engine if it's going to be below 30 deg. I also remove any cushions from the boat -- mildew is a problem if you can't keep a heater going.
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 15:04   #5

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

24 years in Seattle area and not once did I winterized the boat, but then again I sail year round.

Water temps never near freezing, and in a slip on the Columbia River water constantly moving.

I did have 2 - 110vac Caframo True North Deluxe Space Heaters set to keep the cabin dry (about half power) and above freezing when not there, and reasonably warm when aboard at dock.

Another alternative would be an Xtreme Bilge heater that will also help keep bilge dry and cabin above freezing (heat rising and stuff)

Of course a power outage could affect these devices, power outages were pretty rare occurrences.
Old 20-11-2021, 15:50   #6

In salt water moored seldom if never. Fresh water you may want to if we get one of those years where it can be 15-25 degrees for days. Or if reliable power leave a small heater on or one of those damp rid heaters or two on.
Leave engine room and areas open that have water tubing/hose so they dont freeze.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote