Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 17:46   #1

Boat: Beneteau/343
Winterizing in the pacific northwest

I just bought a new to me boat that I'll sail all winter in the portland area.

I have read about winterizing in the serious snow states and in the tropics. What do I need to be thinking about here? I live 25 min from the marina and they pay attention to boats here.

It can get cold but upper 20s is about it.

I suppose a space heater with the temp set to 40 or so makes sense.

Other recommendations? I expect to be at the boat weekly.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 18:34   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Drain the fresh water system and fill it with vodka? It won't freeze and should make for a fun winter.
Old 14-10-2013, 19:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Drain the fresh water system and fill it with vodka? It won't freeze and should make for a fun winter.
20 gal of vodka would make quite a winter.
Old 14-10-2013, 20:18   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Winterizing in the pacific northwest

If your near a Camping World store they sell rv stuff for winterizing fresh water systems, and make sure your engine is up to snuff with anti-freeze! and ya should be good to go!!
Old 17-10-2013, 10:47   #5

Boat: Norsea 27

If you are in the water there is no need to do anything. I've found that the water temperature keeps the boat above freezing. Sometimes I'll put in a 100watt lightbulb or two in to help keep it dry to keep mildew down. I've never liked the idea of a heater left on, even as dependable as they are.

In the yard I drain the raw water strainer and remove the fresh water filter. There's already antifreeze in the engine and the water lift muffler is half full of air.
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 10:55   #6

Boat: Catalina 36

Boats in the marinas here in Seattle usually have a lightbulb on and the crystals that collect moisture: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=none06b4-20

Choose your own favorite brand

Check once a month or so to make sure the bulb is still secure and lit, and change out the crystal things that are all liquid.
Old 17-10-2013, 11:03   #7

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
I just bought a new to me boat that I'll sail all winter in the portland area.

I have read about winterizing in the serious snow states and in the tropics. What do I need to be thinking about here? I live 25 min from the marina and they pay attention to boats here.

It can get cold but upper 20s is about it.

I suppose a space heater with the temp set to 40 or so makes sense.

Other recommendations? I expect to be at the boat weekly.
Nothing as long as the marina/river does not freeze as the tanks are in the bilge below the water line. However, the lines/sink/drains above the water line should be drained and that pink stuff poured down if the boat above the water line is not heated above freezing.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 11:13   #8

Yeah, a 100 watt bulb in the engine room and one in the cabin keeps things from molding pretty well. If we get a really hard freeze like 15 degrees that lasts a week or so like we occassionally do, then you need to make sure the fresh water lines/pump etc are kept warm with the bulbs. A space heater will work well but on low will cycle constantly and on higher will burn up a 30 amp AC cord in one season. I would worry a little about fire hazard using a space heater when not aboard.
I assumed you are in salt water... but in the Portland area you may be in fresh?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 11:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, a 100 watt bulb in the engine room and one in the cabin keeps things from molding pretty well. If we get a really hard freeze like 15 degrees that lasts a week or so like we occassionally do, then you need to make sure the fresh water lines/pump etc are kept warm with the bulbs. A space heater will work well but on low will cycle constantly and on higher will burn up a 30 amp AC cord in one season. I would worry a little about fire hazard using a space heater when not aboard. I assumed you are in salt water... but in the Portland area you may be in fresh?
It is in freshwater. You recommend a few light bulbs over a space heater in this situation? This is a 35' boat.
Old 17-10-2013, 12:43   #10

Boat: Catalina 36

Light bulbs put out quite a bit of heat, and you don't need it to be warm, just dry and above freezing.
Old 17-10-2013, 13:29   #11

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

My 42' sailboat is on the North Portland harbor. I use my boat during the winter. I leave water in the tanks, antifreeze in the raw water system(redo as I use the boat). 1500 watt heater on low keeps it warm and dry.
Like to watch Sunday night NFL on my boat.
Portland does not really get cold enough and the river does not freeze.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:23   #12

When I lived aboard in the PNW, I would go through 1+ 30 amp cords a year. The heater use just detiorates the cord. Problem is... if you're not aboard... guess when the cord is going to short out? That's right.. that same week the weather is 15 degrees! Murphy is alive and well.... Probably the most trouble free and safe is one of those Caframo drier/heaters. Low draw, no moving parts, wont burn out like a bulb. On sale right now at Fisheries supply.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:44   #13

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Many marinas have restrictions on using electric space heaters and with good reason - unattended they are a serious fire hazard. We leave Gray Hawk in the water year round and do absolutely nothing to winterize her. We will be on the prairies until mid to late December and when we arrive at the boat we'll turn the heat on. The fresh water systems above the water line might get a little frosty before we get there but they're not going to freeze hard enough to do any damage and I'd far sooner risk that than run an unattended heat cube.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:01   #14

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

A couple of 100 watt bulbs did the trick when I had my old Ingrid in Vancouver, BC but the best solution was moving aboard and she stayed toasty warm year round. You would be amazed at how much heat a 100 watt bulb puts out in an enclosed space. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:29   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Here's another thread that pretty much covers it all.>>> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-96124.html