Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 07:24   #1

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)
Windlass

Hello. I'm looking to purchase a Lofran Royal Manual Windlass and have found a used one in good shape. It is a 1:1.2 ratio. This unit has a capstan hoist on one side and a chain hoist on the other side. So when you are pulling in your rode are you expected to pull in the rope on one side and then some how switch the rode over to the chain side to pull up the chain and anchor or does the rope also fit on the 3/8 chain side. I have never had one or used one so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. Sorry for my ignorance but maybe someone could set me straight.
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 07:41   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Windlass

If the chain gypsy has V or U shaped cutouts below the chain link receivers, it should allow a rope-to-chain rode to continue raising.
Old 19-12-2015, 08:05   #3

The rope spool is the gypsy, the chain spool is called a wildcat. In my opinion, the transfer should be done by hand. Make sure that the wildcat is matched with the pitch of your chain, and that the chain engages for at least 90 degrees.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 08:08   #4

Boat: Mariner 36

"Chain hoist" = gypsy
"Capstan hoist" = warping drum

It's not intended that you swap from drum to gypsy. The Lofrans gypsy is designed for all chain, no rope, it will not grip the rope.

The warping drum has a lot of uses up there on the bow, but not as you've described.

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 08:36   #5

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)

Thanks for the replies. I understand.
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 09:08   #6

I don't think you can use both sides on the same rode very well. Usually you can use the capstan on another line by loosening a clutch though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 10:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner36bob View Post
"Chain hoist" = gypsy
"Capstan hoist" = warping drum

It's not intended that you swap from drum to gypsy. The Lofrans gypsy is designed for all chain, no rope, it will not grip the rope.
Hmmm. Wouldn't a warping drum be a vertical drum for warping? Wouldn't a capstan hoist be mounted on a capstan?

Would either be mounted on a windlass, as this seems to be? Wouldn't a ... Wait! You're a Brit, aren't you?
Old 19-12-2015, 11:04   #8

Boat: Mariner 36

Could be a regional thing I suppose but it my neck of the woods a horizontally mounted "winch" on a windlass is called warping drum.
If it were mounted vertically is called capstan, even if mounted on windlass.

Funny thing names and terms.... :-)
For example in my area a "wildcat" is an offense run by piss poor American football team with an immobile quarterback.

mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 11:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner36bob View Post
Could be a regional thing I suppose but it my neck of the woods a horizontally mounted "winch" on a windlass is called warping drum.
If it were mounted vertically is called capstan, even if mounted on windlass.

Funny thing names and terms.... :-)
For example in my area a "wildcat" is an offense run by piss poor American football team with an immobile quarterback.

At least we agree that it's "football"!
Old 19-12-2015, 11:52   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

No worries about the names. I usually refer to the drum for the line and the chain gypsy on the starboard of my windlass. I assume yours is configured somewhat like my Simpson-Lawrence.

Although my chain gypsy accepts line, if I'm going to take in a long line I keep it on the drum to port. Usually I can manually lift a line across the top of the windlass to change to the chain gypsy if I come to a line-chain splice, but if there is an unmanageable tension, then I can secure the line for the shift. After this shift the line is accepted by the chain gypsy until it transitions to all chain. 'no real problem here.

Here's a note of caution, - I don't always wear gloves when using this device, but I know I should, even though it's rare to have a surprise.
Old 19-12-2015, 12:53   #11

27 foot is a rather small boat to be thinking of a windlass, (although I put one on my 26 footer) and it may or may not be needed , depending on your cruising area, your physical condition, and if you normally have crew on board. Having the crew motor you up, taking the strain off, and then you are only hauling the last bit (water depth) by hand usually works for your size boat. If you mount a windlass, you must make sure it matches your chain, and that whatever rope to chain connection you use will go through the hole (chain pipe?) in the windlass. A typical rope with spliced eye and a shackle to the chain may not go through. You can splice 3 strand to chain, but I have never been comfortable with that, or you can buy multiplait rope and do a rope chain splice that is better, but I used to re-do my splice every other year. I love all chain, but that is probably not a solution for you. The next best thing that I would do on your size boat would be a vertical drum/capstan (electric) winch and multiplait rope spliced to your chain. With a little practice you can get very good at running the rope over the drum and continuing with the chain on the drum. It is unconventional, but worked for me on a 30,000 lb boat for 8 years of cruising the Caribbean. Small electric winches have come down in price, and would be simple to install. On a previous boat, I had bought a windlass and done the pulling rope on one side and changing to the other for the chain and found it a complete pain to deal with. I even used the mast winch a few times (some old book recommended that) and didnt like that at all. Please keep us posted on what you decide, and how it works out. Good Cruising_____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 13:44   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

gjordan makes a good point above, I had not noticed the 27 feet. With lighter ground tackle and the possibility of motoring over the anchor, everything can be much simpler without the complexity of added mechanics. I see the other side too. I used to do all by hand on a 33' boat and my back ached for all my cruising time!
Old 19-12-2015, 15:31   #13

I agree with Hudson Force that anchoring by hand can lead to aching backs. I got the aching back early in cruising with only a 26 foot boat, but all chain (it came like that) and a very unreliable engine. I was cruising the Calif coast with lots of deep anchorages. I installed a windlass with the correct gypsy for the size chain and loved it. Most boats that size would not have all chain. The next boat was 37 foot and came with about 75 feet of very heavy chain, and 3 strand rope. It was difficult at best. I installed a windlass and shortened the chain to about 40 foot, but never did like trying to switch from one side of the windlass to the other. I ended up not using the windlass very much. Next boat was 44 foot with 3 strand rope, about 60 foot of chain and a electric capstan. It was easy to use the capstan for the rope, but bringing the eye splice and shackle around the drum was a pain. YES, I used the drum/capstan for the chain also. I switched to multiplait rope and a rope to chain splice and got good at using the drum to bring the whole rode in. The multiplait was more flexible than 3 strand and I trusted the way it spliced , rather than the 3 strand to chain. To switch my 44 footer over to all chain would have cost $4K to $5K. I would have prefered that, but money was tight. Just another of my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
Old 19-12-2015, 15:39   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
To switch my 44 footer over to all chain would have cost $4K to $5K. I would have prefered that, but money was tight. Just another of my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.

You could have settled for less chain as $5k would buy well over a 1000' of 3/8" hi test chain.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 16:03   #15

But I would have needed a new windlass and mounting and shipping it all to Antigua. There is much more to installing a good anchor system than the price per foot of chain. ____Grant.

Tags
wind, windlass