Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 20:01   #16

Boat: Whitby Continental 25
Re: Whitby 25 Folkboat Hull with Exposed Ballast

with rudder attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273 (3).jpg
Views:	490
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	106085  
shiloh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 08:30   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Some more folkboat pictures if they help.

This boat was in our family from new in 1969 until 1998. Carvel built, 4 berth with a Volvo diesel later changed to a Yanmar.

She was built in Hungary and put on a train and sent to the UK to be finished off. The quality of the wood and woodwork done in Hungary was excellent, the UK work less so and we re built most of it later

The following link I found is of extensive refit done by a subsequent owner

Tim Gilmore Ltd. - William Blyth
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 13:24   #18
kea

Boat: Whitby Continental Folkboat 25

Thanks for the images. It is helpful but it's difficult to enlarge this enough to see the upper gudgeon. It appears to have only a hole and no pintle. On my boat the hull gudgeons are exactly the same, but the upper one that is above water has a fixed pin in it. I'm assuming your rudder has all three pintles attached -- can you tell if the pins were welded or molded as all one piece or held in with a screw? I am having some difficulty figuring this out as one pintle is completely broken off and I'm left with a gudgeon (lowest one on rudder). The middle one seems to be broken off -- hence my confusion.
Thanks
Kea
kea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 20:01   #19

Boat: Whitby Continental 25

Hello

you are correct just the hole on the upper

the pintles are all one piece and screwed to the rudder

I copied a link in my response. It is for Rig Rite who have many versions gudgeons and pintles available in stainless at a reasonable price. Check them out in might be the “path of least resistance” for you on replacements. They are a bitch to get hold of ..fair warning. I think you mentioned you are in BC. If you contact Rekford Marine they can probably help you out.

I have a spare pintle and gudgeon in bronze …if you can’t sort it out let me know and I dig it out and will send you a photo.

Curious what hull number do you have mine is 28

Cheers

Rich
shiloh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:34   #20
kea

Boat: Whitby Continental Folkboat 25

Thank you. I may well need a pintle and gudgeon in bronze. Mine are bronze, and I suspect the original. It would appear, from a previous photo of yours, that my rudder is significantly different, but gudgeon and pintles could be the same.
I may end up taking the whole rudder into a foundry in Victoria and having them fix it, if possible. There's nothing wrong with the pintles that are mounted to the hull. The bronze pintles & gudgeons on rudder are not screwed in, but pinned and welded from what I can tell. There's no way I can get them off without breaking the rudder and it's in good shape.
I believe my hull is # 42. That's what the original foresail has on it. Built 1970.
It was trailered out from Ontario in the early 80s.
Your transom mount is also significantly different!
kea
kea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 21:02   #21

I hope somebody is still out there. Just found out I have a continental 25 today after contacting the previous owners. Had been trying for a few weeks after getting the boat. I need some sails for her so if anyone knows where to find some please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF16695A-883F-4C20-B1F2-416101772A64.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	218890  
Spinnacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 22:17   #22

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

Folkboats are raced and the top racers swap out their sails every couple years. You can get a nice set for a nice price. You may need to make some minor changes like adding slides to fit your sail track. If you are in the US, you might want to contact the San Francisco club at SFBayFolkboats.org

- Rich
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 00:39   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnacher View Post
I hope somebody is still out there. Just found out I have a continental 25 today after contacting the previous owners. Had been trying for a few weeks after getting the boat. I need some sails for her so if anyone knows where to find some please let me know!
Welcome aboard CF, Spinnacher. You have a great looking boat.

You might get more replies regarding sails if you let us know what part of the world you sail in, at least which continent would be a good start!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:48   #24

Boat: Whitby 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
Folkboats are raced and the top racers swap out their sails every couple years. You can get a nice set for a nice price. You may need to make some minor changes like adding slides to fit your sail track. If you are in the US, you might want to contact the San Francisco club at SFBayFolkboats.org

- Rich
I think that might work for a mainsail, but Continental Folkboats are masthead rigged, so the foresails would not work.

I may have something in my attic that works if you let me know what you need. I know I have a furling headsail I don't use any more, that was on a CDC furler.

Sailmakers sometimes have used or returned sails that fit, but not many boats have a 12' foot and 26' luff mainsail.

- Will

willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 19:50   #25

Thanks for the replies mates, I am sailing this Great Lakes folk boat on none other than the Great Lakes themselves. I’m located in Spanish, Ontario. I don’t have a roller furling on this boat but I appreciate the offer Will!
Old 09-07-2020, 19:55   #26

I need a main and a Genoa. Mainsl about 26.8’ luff and a 11.8’ foot.
Old 09-07-2020, 19:56   #27

Is that a Halcyon 27 will?

Tags
folkboat, hull