Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 07:39   #1

Whitby 45 (1990 Model) Hull Construction

i am looking at buying a 1990 whitby 45,can anyone tell me if the hull is solid grp all the way round or is it balsa cored below the water line ?
doocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 09:17   #2

The Whitbys built in Canada are solid glass below the waterline, balsa cored on deck. In 1990 it was probably built in Fort Myers. But I didn't know Ft. Myers built any 45s, I thought there were only a couple of them built at all. Ft. Myers built Brewer 44s as well as Whitby 42s. The world's expert on the Whitby is Doug Stevenson in Canada and there is a whitbybrewer website. For the record, we lvoe our Whitby, she's old an slow but comfortable. The Chevy station wagon of the boating world.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 14:22   #3

thanks for that info.this boat is in south east asia and i think is hong kong flagged so i am not sure where it was made.i am going to look at it tomorrow and wanted to get some info on it before i go.i will not be interested if its balsa cored below the water line,deck is ok,which it sounds like it is from your reply.are there any drawbacks from your experience ?
Old 14-10-2010, 14:42   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Probably built in Whitby if it's a 45. The 45 was always the best looking boat Whitby built. It's a C & C design, actually only George Cuthbertson not the other C, Cassian designed it. I don't know about a 1990 hull as they stopped building them in the seventies. I don't think they built this model in Ft. Myers. They just did the 42 and 44 there. The boat you're looking at might be a 42 with a bowsprit. The 42,44 were center cockpits. The 45 was an aft cockpit.
Old 14-10-2010, 14:46   #5

this boat has a rear dual cockpit with the rear cockpit holding the wheel
Old 14-10-2010, 14:52   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If it's the Whitby 45 on Yachtworld in Thailand it doesn't look like a Whitby 45 to me. The cockpit looks real strange. The hull has some similarities to a Whitby 45 but everything else looks different. Looks like a one off. This is what a 45 looks like.

Tags
hull