Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-05-2018, 16:12   #1

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter
What are the recommended refit locations in the US? ie Best labor price to quality?

What are the recommended refit locations in the USA? Best labor price for quality work?

Hi, I am looking for some help in choosing locations for some refit, and modifications. Specifically I am trying to find good places with the best labor rates for quality work. Boat is a Passport 42ft pilothouse cutter with a 6.5ft draft and 13ft beam. I can do a lot of work myself as I am experienced in boat repair, maintenance, Electrical, diesel engines, and fiberglass work, and may have some ABYC certifications next year if I can swing it. The problem is usually time and space/work area.

Background: I am from the PNW, but currently stationed in San Diego, Active Duty Navy and up to choose orders in January. A rough look at what MAY be available has a lot of east coast billets (jobs). As this will be a last tour before I retire, ideally I am looking at stuff by Seattle, or Everett Washington. I am also looking at Little Creek/Virginia Beach Virginia, Jacksonville or Pensacola Florida. I haven’t made up my mind on where I want to retire too. I have very little experience or knowledge with the east coast, so part of me wants to transfer there to get the feel of it and helps decide if I want to be east or west of panama when I get out. To simplify I get to move to Florida, Virginia, Washington, or stay in San Diego, and then two years later I get to move anywhere I want. The Navy partially helps with the moving bill (boats are complicated for PCS moves).

Essentially I would like to stack the cards in my favor and push for billets in areas that I can get some work knocked off of my list. If I transfer I will likely ship my boat. As I would have to pull my mast, I could take advantage of that opportunity to redo the mast and rigging. If I have it in dry storage I could effectively get to both sides of the boat for painting/varnish/wax/polish canvas work ect. Things that are difficult in a slip, or I have to plan, haul out, pray that contracted work goes according to schedule, and that military tasking’s don’t come up to change my schedule.

San Diego is expensive! The general attitude here is if you have a boat you have money. The State, City, Marina’s, and Boat Yards conspire to extract as much money as possible from you somewhere in the rate of double/triple anywhere else, and sadly not always at quality. There are Venders that do quality work, but expect to pay premium California prices. Labor rates are in the 100-150 an hour range, plus all the fees, taxes, nickel and dimes, hassles ect that aren’t even mentioned on quotes. Many try to hawk cheap gear and equipment to bring down the price. I got a Quote this summer, $1000 to haul out, another $1000 for bottom paint using the crappy eco stuff that you have to redo every 1-2 years. They won’t let you bring your own good paint (3-5 years) and do it yourself (this was a DIY yard). If there are places on the east coast or in Washington like this I’d like to know so I could push for benificial and reasonable locations. To clarify, I dont mind paying for good work, I dont like dealing with a "your small $1-5k or less project is barely worth our while, we are busy unless you have a mega yacht", then pay top dollar, and get nickle and dimed on top of that.

I have seen high quality work for decent prices in Mexico, however military are unable to go to Mexico at this time, and my schedule doesn’t allow me to go down and supervise for several weeks.

V/R

Robert
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, price, refit