Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 05:00   #16
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Re: Volvo 2003 fix or forget it

Glad to hear things are working out. That is one fine looking boat.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 05:23   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Hey Alll, I thought I would give an update on the current status of this thread and give it some finality. Was able to install some new and or rebuilt cooling system parts, with Robbie at Orange County college Sailing, which the boat was donated to. In addition, since the boat was not used most of its 20+yrs except for the upkeep that the owner (Kelsey Grammer) had entrusted to 2 local riggers, I also had the fuel tank and system flushed out. Todd at Hills Marine in Newport beach replaced all filters, fluids and cleaned out diesel tank and refilled. Completed a short sea trial and then since the sale was finalized I had to move the Baltic to a slip. Finding out a slip for a 37' in Newport is approx 1450.00 a month, I choose Long Beach, 500.00 mo. I had one of the riggers with me, Mort, as we motored up from Newport to LB, about 18nm, to its new temp home. All went well as the Volvo penta 2003 performed perfect with a 3 bladed max prop and Santa Ana winds off the starboard it wasn't that bad of a ride. Avg 5 to 6 knots. I will keep her here for a couple of months and complete a electronics refit, with weekend sail outs and at least one trip to Catalina Island before trying the 300+ nm up the coast to SF. Thanks to all the input again and hope to update soon on the Christian James, working name of boat, my 2 sons.
And the total engine/fuel related costs so far?

Enjoy the trip north and the new ride.
Old 21-04-2013, 09:47   #18

Boat: Baltic 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
And the total engine/fuel related costs so far?

Enjoy the trip north and the new ride.
Couldn't give you accurate amount since OCCS still owned the boat and used a mechanic on staff for labor. parts were new exhaust elbow ($250) a "off eBay" rebuilt heat exchanger ($225) and associated gaskets and seals $100. As you know it's a problem just working on it so labor was at least 3 days all told. Front of engine access is available only through port lazarette and its a yoga lovers nightmare to contort a human body to reach some items. Fuel system clean-out and fill was $735, thats was me. The original HOMs meter has 700 hrs and I think that's from the original md11c 2cyl and was not turned back when repowered. This is from rigger who took care of boat for last 22yrs as the engine swap was before he took over account from another mechanic. So total parts is $575 + $735 + labor @ 24hrs @ 65.00 = 2777.00 only $735 on my end. Starts after about 5-6 revolutions which is a lot better when we started I think it's just needs to be ran, which I plan to do. Thx John
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 10:54   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Given the numbers quoted I would go for a new engine.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 12:02   #20

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Nice boat!