Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 21:17   #1

Boat: Baltic 43
Volvo 2003 fix or forget it

Hello all, looking for anybody who sat there and figured out how much to spend on older engine or bite the bullet and go for a new engine. This is a purchase and engine survey says about 4k in parts alone plus labor 1500+ on a VP 2003. Looking at misc stuff like injectors and maybe valve adjustment (another 1-2k). Note: verified Homs meter at 700hrs. Boat sat for a few years with virtually no maintenance heavy corrosion on cooling system D1-30 new 10.5k plus install another easy 5k. I'm looking at having a running older engine costing upwards of 8k and having the problem of finding parts for this vintage or having a 15-20k bill but in a position to get parts for at least a few years without resorting to ebay and blogs to find a heat exchanger
Sorry long winded but looking for some "been there done this" advice Thanks
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Volvo 2003 fix or forget it

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Silver Surfer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:27   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

We have not yet repowered but when making decisions about repair vs. replace, 50% is our replace price. If you can get a new engine installed for between 15 and 17k, I would vote for replacement. If the actual install is going to run you 20k, then that 8k estimate is just shy of the tipping point and my decision would be made by whether or not I can get parts where I plan on being and most importanty, how much cash I have on hand.

Good luck with your decision! I will say that in my limited experience, quotes seem to always be on the short side.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:32   #4

I bought a boat with a 2003, runs fine at the moment.
Plan is to keep up the maintenance, and buy something else if it stops.
Not worth wasting good money on a Volvo.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:20   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

There is no way I'd put an estimated $8k into a Volvo 2003. The engines can be nursed for a long time, but that is just too much to sink in. I replaced my 2003 with Yanmar 3YM. The work was done in 1 week by the Yanmar dealer in Key West for approx. $12.5k (in 2012). Get a new engine and enjoy the boat for the next 10 years instead of sinking bucks in now and having to sink more in each year. Can't see how you are getting $20k estimates for the repower unless there is some special circumstances.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:24   #6
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Hello all, looking for anybody who sat there and figured out how much to spend on older engine or bite the bullet and go for a new engine. This is a purchase and engine survey says about 4k in parts alone plus labor 1500+ on a VP 2003. Looking at misc stuff like injectors and maybe valve adjustment (another 1-2k). Note: verified Homs meter at 700hrs. Boat sat for a few years with virtually no maintenance heavy corrosion on cooling system D1-30 new 10.5k plus install another easy 5k. I'm looking at having a running older engine costing upwards of 8k and having the problem of finding parts for this vintage or having a 15-20k bill but in a position to get parts for at least a few years without resorting to ebay and blogs to find a heat exchanger
Sorry long winded but looking for some "been there done this" advice Thanks
I have done both. On my last boat I paid a authorized Universal Diesel service center to completely rebuild the motor and replace the transmission on a 10 year old Universal M-18 with 72 hours. Before I bought the boat it sat for many years without use. It ended up costing me $5k back in 2000. When I sold the boat eight or nine years later the motor failed the compression test and I had to reduce the price by $6k. After that experience I don't believe I would ever rebuild again, but was tempted when I bought the new boat.

My current boat had a Volvo MD-21, but was motorless when purchased. I toyed with the idea of buying a rebuilt MD-21 and saving some money, but thought about my last boat. We went with a new Beta 60 and could not be happier. In my mind, nothing beats new.

Also my dad had the Volvo 2003 rebuilt in his Wauquiez. In the end with all of the bits and pieces the final cost from the Volvo authorized dealer was around $10k. I believe the rebuild was estimated to cost around $6k. Now, a few years later the rebuild has a few hundred hours on it and runs fine. He has had a few problems and although the motor had a one year warranty, he had to pay a travel fee to get the work performed on one occasion. In the end he could have gone for a new Beta 25 with a new saildrive for less, and wishes he did.

I will also add that with both of my boat's installs the labor was done by us. The M-18 was easy with two people, a dock cart and a hatchback to move it to and from the service center. The Beta required a fiberglass guy to rebuild the completely trashed saildrive bed and a crane to install the motor. Then we just added fuel, water, electricity, and fluids. The saildrive bed would have had to have been rebuilt regardless of whether the motor was new or not. I am so happy that we bit the bullet and went new.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:47   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I'm in the same position as you... except X 2. 2 x MD2040s that run well but have a lot of hours on them. Quotes to re-engine with the equivalent new Volvos or Yanmars is about twice the rebuild cost.

I like the old Volvos, they've served me very well and the good thing about them is NO ELECTRONICS. If I go for something new, I'll be stuck with electronic control systems that don't seem to sit well with salt water. If I get the old ones rebuilt, it'll have old ancilliaries.

So, I don't have an answer for you. Good luck, whichever way you go.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:23   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Seeing it's a Volvo 2003 I'd say get a new engine.
Old 08-03-2013, 22:52   #9

Thanks for all the replies, it's been very helpful in understanding the re-power vs rebuilt approach. I found most of the major items on eBay and I think this has brought down the fix to the 2-3k range. Will see next week what my mechanic thinks. I've rebuilt a few Chevy smallblocks and some Vw's so I can do the wrenching but the boat is in SoCal and I'm a in SF so the logistics are not looking good on a do it myself job. Again thanks for all the advice.
John
Old 08-03-2013, 23:04   #10

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali
I was in the same situation 5 years ago and repowerd from Volvo to Yanmar, and I am very happy I have done it. When I am out on the water the last thing I need are butterflies in my stomach, will it start? Will it hold?. The hell with it I repowerd and never looked back.
Good luck.
Old 08-03-2013, 23:13   #11

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

The Volvo 200X series is the worst Volvo engines ever!
Other volvo egines aren't too bad , parts are easy to get in europe.

.manitu
Old 10-03-2013, 13:54   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Thanks for all the replies, it's been very helpful in understanding the re-power vs rebuilt approach. I found most of the major items on eBay and I think this has brought down the fix to the 2-3k range. Will see next week what my mechanic thinks. I've rebuilt a few Chevy smallblocks and some Vw's so I can do the wrenching but the boat is in SoCal and I'm a in SF so the logistics are not looking good on a do it myself job. Again thanks for all the advice.
John
It still may not add up. If you stick in $2-3K now, that will probably turn out to be $3.5k. Then do another 1 to 2 k in a year, now you've exceeded what the engine is worth. I guess it depends a lot on how long you plan to keep the boat. If it is 5 years or more, then I'd think hard about a repower and not waste money on the Green Devil.
Old 15-03-2013, 11:13   #13

hey all, just an update on my volvo penta engine issue: taking all the good advice given i tracked down a rebuilt heat exchanger on eBay and along with sellers mechanic, going change out along with exhaust riser, if this works I’m good to go and for a proper sea trial in a few weeks. After i take possession, will keep up a maintenance program and see how far i can ride this horse before think about a repower.
Thanks again and i am thinking about a new thread in regards to electronics upgrade, boat has existing Trimble technology. Have checked out simrad, garmin and b&g, like them all.
thanks again,
John
Old 15-03-2013, 11:23   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Keep Beta in mind when/if you decide to repower. They get good reviews. Yanmar gets a lot of criticism about service.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 03:31   #15

Hey Alll, I thought I would give an update on the current status of this thread and give it some finality. Was able to install some new and or rebuilt cooling system parts, with Robbie at Orange County college Sailing, which the boat was donated to. In addition, since the boat was not used most of its 20+yrs except for the upkeep that the owner (Kelsey Grammer) had entrusted to 2 local riggers, I also had the fuel tank and system flushed out. Todd at Hills Marine in Newport beach replaced all filters, fluids and cleaned out diesel tank and refilled. Completed a short sea trial and then since the sale was finalized I had to move the Baltic to a slip. Finding out a slip for a 37' in Newport is approx 1450.00 a month, I choose Long Beach, 500.00 mo. I had one of the riggers with me, Mort, as we motored up from Newport to LB, about 18nm, to its new temp home. All went well as the Volvo penta 2003 performed perfect with a 3 bladed max prop and Santa Ana winds off the starboard it wasn't that bad of a ride. Avg 5 to 6 knots. I will keep her here for a couple of months and complete a electronics refit, with weekend sail outs and at least one trip to Catalina Island before trying the 300+ nm up the coast to SF. Thanks to all the input again and hope to update soon on the Christian James, working name of boat, my 2 sons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3611161208.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	59593