Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2024, 23:58   #16

Boat: Cascade 42
Re: Varnish vs oil

Nuku- I like rh sounds of this finish, if you cut back on the oil for the last coats will it gloss or is it always satin? do you have a preferred spar varnish?
thanks
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 03:03   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

For interior wood only, I like OSMO Polyx oil. Rubs on, dries hard, lasts years. (I have it in my house, and floors just get shinier and shinier with all the sock-buffing). For varnished interior wood, I like McCloskey's. Compass Clear is also very nice.
For exterior wood I let everything go bare. I just can't be bothered to maintain exterior varnish, no matter what.
Old 16-05-2024, 05:53   #18

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

to pdx sailing: I can't really answer your question re cutting down oil in the last coats to preserve gloss as I've ever tried it. My guess is that the result would still be satin and if you want a gloss finish you'll have to forget the oil and just use straight gloss varnish.

For this type of finish, I don't have a preferred brand of varnish; I use whatever good quality single-part spar varnish (satin or gloss) is available at a good price here in N.Z.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, varnish