Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2020, 18:51   #1

Boat: Dufour 382 37'
Tips for a month on-the-hard?

Our late-model 37' sloop has just been hauled-out here in FL and will be on the hard for a 4-6 weeks. We're wondering if we should take any special actions?

1. Treat the diesel? Our tank's about 3/4 full with fresh, US-purchased fuel. The guy at the yard says, "No worries, mate!"
2. Potable tanks? We bleached them (1/4 cup regular ol' Clorox per 50 gallons) and filled them.
3. Batteries? Hooked up shore power and left them to float/charge. All inside breakers are off.
4. Sails? Left 'em on ... furled (head) and in the bag (main.)
5. Bimini & spray hood? Left 'em "up" and secured.
6. Fridge? Left it empty, powered-off (breaker open), with lid open.
7. Holding tank? Emptied.
8. Toilet? Not sure what's best to do here. It's an electric Jabsco. Drain the bowl? Leave some water in? Add a touch of bleach? Tips welcome.

Many thanks in advance for your replies!
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 19:05   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Tips for a month on-the-hard?

For to six weeks in Florida in winter is no big deal. Chance of frost is very low so no need to winterize anything. If you have no drain on your batteries there is no need to keep them hooked up to shore power. If they are healthy just let them alone and they shouldn’t discharge more than a couple percent if that.
It’s always good to have some ventilation just make sure everything is screened so you don’t get any wildlife taking up residence. Store everything below so no one “borrows” anything in your absence. You don’t want to attract petty thieves. I would securely tie the sails down if not remove them....let a sailmaker service them in your absence....win, win.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 19:20   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

Looks like you have covered all the bases.

If you expect there to be any bad weather I would remove the sails to keep the windage down. Boats handle wind much better in the water than on land.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 19:28   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Generally seems pretty reasonable to me. I normally leave my boat for 5-6 months per year. Four to six weeks is nothing. I wouldn't really take many special precautions for such a short period.

But since you ask, here's what I would do:

#1. Diesel should be no problem. I prefer to leave the tanks full so as to avoid condensation. But again, your time is pretty short. I wouldn't worry about stabilizer. Doesn't hurt to add it, but not necessary.

#2. I would rather leave them empty. There's no risk of freezing down your way, but it's still a lot of water just sitting there. If a hose clamp went, or a crack developed, well... It's just safer to leave them empty.

#3. Battery plan is probably OK, although I would prefer to leave them fully charged, and then disconnected. Leaving the boat plugged in like that produces a small risk of electrical problems or fires.

#4. I always take the sails off for any extended "on the hard" stay. Again, your period is short, but if a serious storm blows through, those sails (and therefor the boat) may be at risk. Easier to take them down.

#5, 6, 7. Sounds good to me. As long as the dodger/bimini is well secured.

#8. Can't help with this one (I have a composter). In general, draining it seems the best to me.
Old 18-12-2020, 19:34   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know what, with Covid-19 increasing with so many new cases, daily, you would definitely be prudent to leave the boat as if it were for a year or two. You don't really know if you will be able to stay Covid safe, at all, and you easily could not arrive back when you plan to. So, take off the sails and any other canvas you can remove. It is only one's own labor to put it all back, usually the work of the first light air day--it won't take all day-and the boat can be launched with it all still stored, if all goes well, and you are able to return as planned.

Stay well. Take your personal prophylaxis seriously.

Ann
Old 18-12-2020, 20:58   #6

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Maybe it will indeed be 4-6 weeks, our haulouts over the last 25 years have occasionally met our timeline but much more often gone longer sometimes much longer. Easy to take roller fueling headsail off for inspection and cleaning or repair. Good luck
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 04:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedKite View Post
2. Potable tanks? We bleached them (1/4 cup regular ol' Clorox per 50 gallons) and filled them.
Whaaaat!? WOW that's a LOT of bleach! What kind of tanks are your water tanks? (If some sort of plastic, this is gonna be a problem...)

First off, I agree with Mike O'Reilly - just leave them empty - or consult Peg Hall (Forum Member, and/or her book) about properly taking care of water systems. Please note the book's title is misleading. It's about properly taking care of all water systems on a boat:

The New Get Rid of Boat Odors
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615/

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 05:08   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ann has an excellent point about the possibility of a longer haul out. I hauled my boat out for the normal winter season in September... 2019. Since then the apocalypse struck and I haven't even been able to see my boat. At best it's going to be 1 1/2 years on the hard, and might be 2 1/2 (depending on what happens with the vaccine). Sure glad I left her fully decommissioned and as safe as possible.

So while you think it's only a month-long haul out, best to plan for something much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Whaaaat!? WOW that's a LOT of bleach! What kind of tanks are your water tanks? (If some sort of plastic, this is gonna be a problem...)
I was thinking the same. That sounds like a shock-level amount of bleach. I don't think it should be left in the tanks for extended periods.

I've never heard of anyone leaving their tanks full during a haul out. As I said, this one is quite short (assuming it actually is), but it's always safer to drain them.
Old 19-12-2020, 08:20   #9

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Make sure the birds and the "critters" can't get in, check your thru hulls for wasps etc, and your vents same

Bill

[QUOTE=PaintedKite;3300686]Our late-model 37' sloop has just been hauled-out here in FL and will be on the hard for a 4-6 weeks.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:37   #10

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

As Bill suggested keep critters out, specifically ants. They can do a lot of damage. Check with neighbours if they are a local problem. They usually are. Grease traps around stands work. And close fuel tank valves and vents.

My 2 cents worth

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 09:07   #11

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

It's been suggested by others that to avoid an "Oh Crap" situation, (if it's on the hard!!!) leave a hole in the bilge, like a hose removed from an open sea cock -on our boat that would be the speed sensor- so rain water won't fill it up if it ends up being left for a long time.
Just remember to close it before splashing
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 09:18   #12

Only thing I will add is tape over the tank vents, exhaust port, close all thru hulls. The insects (especially little bee like things) love to build nests in any opening down there. Don't ask how I know!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 20:45   #13

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedKite View Post
Our late-model 37' sloop has just been hauled-out here in FL and will be on the hard for a 4-6 weeks. We're wondering if we should take any special actions?

1. Treat the diesel? Our tank's about 3/4 full with fresh, US-purchased fuel. The guy at the yard says, "No worries, mate!"
3. Batteries? Hooked up shore power and left them to float/charge. All inside breakers are off.
4. Sails? Left 'em on ... furled (head) and in the bag (main.)
5. Bimini & spray hood? Left 'em "up" and secured.
6. Fridge? Left it empty, powered-off (breaker open), with lid open.
7. Holding tank? Emptied.
8. Toilet? Not sure what's best to do here. It's an electric Jabsco. Drain the bowl? Leave some water in? Add a touch of bleach? Tips welcome.

Many thanks in advance for your replies!
I am surprised the yard allowed you to leave the sails on. Not a yard I would go to for that reason alone.

1. Diesel - we always have biocide in it. For 4-6 weeks, not topping up would be no big issue, but you are going to have to fill at some stage, so if it's not inconvenient where you are, then why not.
2. Tanks - if wintering we sterliise them empty, but in your case - no problem
3. Batteries - again, yards (many) we go to will not allow power connection like that in case there is an issue and you burn your neighbours boats down. They will check the batteries, then charge every 4-6 weeks for the day. For you, 6 weeks is no issue if the batteries are fully charged first.
4. Sails - as above .....
5. For the sake of an hours work .....
6. Perfect
7/8. We have the same - two of them. Flush with fresh water (bucket or shower hose), then flush de-scaler through, leaving some in bowl. Next day, flush clear, rinse and empty holding tank.

Hope that helps.

David
Old 22-12-2020, 08:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
WOW that's a LOT of bleach!
So 2oz of 5% bleach in 6,400 oz of water is "a LOT"? Seems like 0.001%. Doesn't sound like so much, actually.

We don't detect any halogen smell at the tap.
(BTW ... we don't drink from the tanks.)
Old 22-12-2020, 08:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Only thing I will add is tape over the tank vents, exhaust port, close all thru hulls. The insects (especially little bee like things) love to build nests in any opening down there. Don't ask how I know!
Shoot ... I really wish I'd done that. It's an easy one! But I'm in Europe now, so the boat'll spend 3 wks high-n-dry in Cape Canaveral the way it is. I'll report back any learnings.