Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2023, 10:26   #1

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

I have a leaking through hull p bracket. It comes up through a slot in the fibreglass hull and attaches to a cross brace. It is permanently wet and I need to seal it effectively inside while on the water.

I thought I had a leaky stern gland for the last few years, the bilge pump would cut in and I am used to 1/2" of water in the bilge. The boat went ashore for four weeks at the end of last year for a new engine and mizzen mast. I noticed a drip outside from the P bracket but thought nothing of it.

A few weeks later I am called as the boat is sitting low. Inside its flooded to a depth of 12" and the batteries are flat. The solar isn't charging as its dark and little sunshine.

A boat maintenance man who did the engine comes on board and we pump out every drop of water. He then searches everywhere and discovers that water is coming in at a rate of a tablespoon a second and there is some mud there too where the P bracket is.

He is convinced its the P bracket. So without lifting back into the yard how do I seal the leak from the inside. I'm now in a marina with power to charge the batteries so I can wash the mud out and drain the water but it will rapidly get wet. again.

I have unsuccessfully used an epoxy putty on a wet surface before and it doesn't stick. It isn't the easiest place to get to but has anyone got any solutions or ideas for what I can pour in to permanently stop the leak from the inside?
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 16:58   #2

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Try this stuff. Noi idea if it's available in the UK though. I've seen it used for over 2 years and still not leaking. Sticky stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Stay-Afloat/dp/B008S3PRF4
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 17:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
I have a leaking through hull p bracket. It comes up through a slot in the fibreglass hull and attaches to a cross brace. It is permanently wet and I need to seal it effectively inside while on the water.

I thought I had a leaky stern gland for the last few years, the bilge pump would cut in and I am used to 1/2" of water in the bilge. The boat went ashore for four weeks at the end of last year for a new engine and mizzen mast. I noticed a drip outside from the P bracket but thought nothing of it.

A few weeks later I am called as the boat is sitting low. Inside its flooded to a depth of 12" and the batteries are flat. The solar isn't charging as its dark and little sunshine.

A boat maintenance man who did the engine comes on board and we pump out every drop of water. He then searches everywhere and discovers that water is coming in at a rate of a tablespoon a second and there is some mud there too where the P bracket is.

He is convinced its the P bracket. So without lifting back into the yard how do I seal the leak from the inside. I'm now in a marina with power to charge the batteries so I can wash the mud out and drain the water but it will rapidly get wet. again.

I have unsuccessfully used an epoxy putty on a wet surface before and it doesn't stick. It isn't the easiest place to get to but has anyone got any solutions or ideas for what I can pour in to permanently stop the leak from the inside?
I hate to be ther bearer of bad news, but there is just no such thing as a "permanent" fix for a leak that you can do from the inside while the boat is in the water.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 22:51   #4

Or perhaps try this. I worked for a marine salvage company that used this product to seal patches prior to raising damaged sunken vessels. [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	270214  
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 00:28   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Fiona if it is your P-bracket then whatever you use will surely fracture as soon as you put the engine in gear I would have thought?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 03:29   #6

Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas, please keep them coming.

When I can get on the scrubbing posts I intend to get some stuff on the outside to seal it, I was thinking about Sikaflex outside or glassing. Im just trying to get through the winter with as near to an internal "permanent" fix as possible. I'm also aware that when I start the engine the internal fix might fracture. Im trying to reduce my panic and give myself some thinking time and some sleep.
Old 18-01-2023, 03:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Or perhaps try this. I worked for a marine salvage company that used this product to seal patches prior to raising damaged sunken vessels. [ATTACH]
I think this is the equivalent in the Uk, looks interesting.
https://sylmasta.com/product/sylmasta-ab-epoxy-putty/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sylmasta-AB-Original-Title-Photo.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	270216  
Old 18-01-2023, 03:50   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I think this is the equivalent in the Uk, looks interesting.
https://sylmasta.com/product/sylmasta-ab-epoxy-putty/
I have seen these products used from the outside, underwater. Mix like normal, put it in a ziplock bag, cut a little corner off it, then work the epoxy to that corner like doing whip cream decorations. Dive, apply and use hands and fingers to push it into the seam or crack that needs to be sealed.

But this is a temporary solution, used by salvagers to bring boats back up. You need a haul out and remove the bracket in order to clean and repair underneath, then re-bed it.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 06:13   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Fiona,

Intrigued by this post, I went looking at Sikaflex 291.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-272030.html

Oh dear, shouldn't be used underwater

So now this Spring we will dry out and re-seal our P bracket.

That lead to a search for Dowsil 795. Nope that isn't recommended for"

"On surfaces that are continuously immersed in water"

So, now I haven't a clue what to use.

Given that the seam on the outside needs to resist vibration and perhaps slight movement, epoxy is only going to be a short term solution at best.

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 06:21   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Fiona,

So now this Spring we will dry out and re-seal our P bracket.

That lead to a search for Dowsil 795. Nope that isn't recommended for"

"On surfaces that are continuously immersed in water"

So, now I haven't a clue what to use.

Given that the seam on the outside needs to resist vibration and perhaps slight movement, epoxy is only going to be a short term solution at best.

Peter
This is one of the jobs for 3M 5200

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 09:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Fiona,

Peter
Well according to the website I use, its fine underwater. https://www.uksealants.co.uk/sikafle...ant-300ml.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	270222  
Old 18-01-2023, 11:36   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Hmm just confusing.

3M 5200 is very expensive in the UK. Perhaps CT1 or OB1 from Screwfix.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 12:21   #13

Quote:

for a temp fix tackle it from the out side, yes you will have to go into the water clean around the through hull and use a underwater silicone putty like material at least you have the water pressure to keep it there till next haul out
I have done a few New hull throughs without taking the boat out of the water also installed a rudder with a wider shaft (had to widen the hole below waterline using a toilet dougnut on piece of plywood secured above deck to the winches worked beautifully)without taking the boat out 37 discovery not for everybody to do
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 14:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.K. View Post
for a temp fix tackle it from the out side, yes you will have to go into the water clean around the through hull and use a underwater silicone putty like material at least you have the water pressure to keep it there till next haul out
I have done a few New hull throughs without taking the boat out of the water also installed a rudder with a wider shaft (had to widen the hole below waterline using a toilet dougnut on piece of plywood secured above deck to the winches worked beautifully)without taking the boat out 37 discovery not for everybody to do
Water Temperature today 5.9°C / 42.5°F I am not going under water in a swimsuit in August, let alone January! I have a wetsuit and I don't fancy that either!

You are welcome to come here and have a go, I'll hold your towel.
Old 18-01-2023, 19:45   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

It sounds like the rate of ingress has increased dramatically recently. Like it has leaked a bit for the past few years but not enough to know where from, to a tablespoon per second. That is a roughly a quart (or roughly a liter) of water per minute.

I would think this could be an indication that it could continue to get worse, and quickly. You might wake to find that it has completely let loose, and your boat is on the bottom. Or, it might be very minor and some 5200 will hold for years.

If it were my boat, I would haul out right away, get the area dry, and the evaluate the condition.

I don't think there is any in the water fix, but if I were to try, I would use ample amounts of 5200 on the outside to seal it. Then dry it on the inside, and when dry, glass over from the inside. If the water is too cold for that, the only answer is to haul out.

Tags
hull