Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2023, 11:26   #1
Registered User
 
FionaJC's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: East Coast UK
Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Posts: 273
Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

I have a leaking through hull p bracket. It comes up through a slot in the fibreglass hull and attaches to a cross brace. It is permanently wet and I need to seal it effectively inside while on the water.

I thought I had a leaky stern gland for the last few years, the bilge pump would cut in and I am used to 1/2" of water in the bilge. The boat went ashore for four weeks at the end of last year for a new engine and mizzen mast. I noticed a drip outside from the P bracket but thought nothing of it.

A few weeks later I am called as the boat is sitting low. Inside its flooded to a depth of 12" and the batteries are flat. The solar isn't charging as its dark and little sunshine.

A boat maintenance man who did the engine comes on board and we pump out every drop of water. He then searches everywhere and discovers that water is coming in at a rate of a tablespoon a second and there is some mud there too where the P bracket is.

He is convinced its the P bracket. So without lifting back into the yard how do I seal the leak from the inside. I'm now in a marina with power to charge the batteries so I can wash the mud out and drain the water but it will rapidly get wet. again.

I have unsuccessfully used an epoxy putty on a wet surface before and it doesn't stick. It isn't the easiest place to get to but has anyone got any solutions or ideas for what I can pour in to permanently stop the leak from the inside?
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 17:58   #2
Registered User
 
Scubaseas's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seabroook Texas or Southern Maine
Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Posts: 1,303
Images: 1
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Try this stuff. Noi idea if it's available in the UK though. I've seen it used for over 2 years and still not leaking. Sticky stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Stay-Afloat/dp/B008S3PRF4
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 18:06   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 289
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
I have a leaking through hull p bracket. It comes up through a slot in the fibreglass hull and attaches to a cross brace. It is permanently wet and I need to seal it effectively inside while on the water.

I thought I had a leaky stern gland for the last few years, the bilge pump would cut in and I am used to 1/2" of water in the bilge. The boat went ashore for four weeks at the end of last year for a new engine and mizzen mast. I noticed a drip outside from the P bracket but thought nothing of it.

A few weeks later I am called as the boat is sitting low. Inside its flooded to a depth of 12" and the batteries are flat. The solar isn't charging as its dark and little sunshine.

A boat maintenance man who did the engine comes on board and we pump out every drop of water. He then searches everywhere and discovers that water is coming in at a rate of a tablespoon a second and there is some mud there too where the P bracket is.

He is convinced its the P bracket. So without lifting back into the yard how do I seal the leak from the inside. I'm now in a marina with power to charge the batteries so I can wash the mud out and drain the water but it will rapidly get wet. again.

I have unsuccessfully used an epoxy putty on a wet surface before and it doesn't stick. It isn't the easiest place to get to but has anyone got any solutions or ideas for what I can pour in to permanently stop the leak from the inside?
I hate to be ther bearer of bad news, but there is just no such thing as a "permanent" fix for a leak that you can do from the inside while the boat is in the water.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 23:51   #4
Moderator

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,949
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Or perhaps try this. I worked for a marine salvage company that used this product to seal patches prior to raising damaged sunken vessels. [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	270214  
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 01:28   #5
Registered User
 
Fore and Aft's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gympie
Boat: Volkscruiser
Posts: 2,233
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Fiona if it is your P-bracket then whatever you use will surely fracture as soon as you put the engine in gear I would have thought?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 04:29   #6
Registered User
 
FionaJC's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: East Coast UK
Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Posts: 273
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas, please keep them coming.

When I can get on the scrubbing posts I intend to get some stuff on the outside to seal it, I was thinking about Sikaflex outside or glassing. Im just trying to get through the winter with as near to an internal "permanent" fix as possible. I'm also aware that when I start the engine the internal fix might fracture. Im trying to reduce my panic and give myself some thinking time and some sleep.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 04:43   #7
Registered User
 
FionaJC's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: East Coast UK
Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Posts: 273
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Or perhaps try this. I worked for a marine salvage company that used this product to seal patches prior to raising damaged sunken vessels. [ATTACH]
I think this is the equivalent in the Uk, looks interesting.
https://sylmasta.com/product/sylmasta-ab-epoxy-putty/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sylmasta-AB-Original-Title-Photo.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	270216  
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 04:50   #8
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 15,505
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
I think this is the equivalent in the Uk, looks interesting.
https://sylmasta.com/product/sylmasta-ab-epoxy-putty/
I have seen these products used from the outside, underwater. Mix like normal, put it in a ziplock bag, cut a little corner off it, then work the epoxy to that corner like doing whip cream decorations. Dive, apply and use hands and fingers to push it into the seam or crack that needs to be sealed.

But this is a temporary solution, used by salvagers to bring boats back up. You need a haul out and remove the bracket in order to clean and repair underneath, then re-bed it.
__________________
May the Force be with you!

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 07:13   #9
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 17,304
Images: 19
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Fiona,

Intrigued by this post, I went looking at Sikaflex 291.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-272030.html

Oh dear, shouldn't be used underwater

So now this Spring we will dry out and re-seal our P bracket.

That lead to a search for Dowsil 795. Nope that isn't recommended for"

"On surfaces that are continuously immersed in water"

So, now I haven't a clue what to use.

Given that the seam on the outside needs to resist vibration and perhaps slight movement, epoxy is only going to be a short term solution at best.

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 07:21   #10
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 15,505
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Fiona,

Intrigued by this post, I went looking at Sikaflex 291.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-272030.html

Oh dear, shouldn't be used underwater

So now this Spring we will dry out and re-seal our P bracket.

That lead to a search for Dowsil 795. Nope that isn't recommended for"

"On surfaces that are continuously immersed in water"

So, now I haven't a clue what to use.

Given that the seam on the outside needs to resist vibration and perhaps slight movement, epoxy is only going to be a short term solution at best.

Peter
This is one of the jobs for 3M 5200
__________________
May the Force be with you!

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 10:06   #11
Registered User
 
FionaJC's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: East Coast UK
Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Posts: 273
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Fiona,

Intrigued by this post, I went looking at Sikaflex 291.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-272030.html

Oh dear, shouldn't be used underwater
Peter
Well according to the website I use, its fine underwater. https://www.uksealants.co.uk/sikafle...ant-300ml.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	270222  
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 12:36   #12
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 17,304
Images: 19
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Hmm just confusing.

3M 5200 is very expensive in the UK. Perhaps CT1 or OB1 from Screwfix.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 13:21   #13
Registered User

Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 134
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
I have a leaking through hull p bracket. It comes up through a slot in the fibreglass hull and attaches to a cross brace. It is permanently wet and I need to seal it effectively inside while on the water.

I thought I had a leaky stern gland for the last few years, the bilge pump would cut in and I am used to 1/2" of water in the bilge. The boat went ashore for four weeks at the end of last year for a new engine and mizzen mast. I noticed a drip outside from the P bracket but thought nothing of it.

A few weeks later I am called as the boat is sitting low. Inside its flooded to a depth of 12" and the batteries are flat. The solar isn't charging as its dark and little sunshine.

A boat maintenance man who did the engine comes on board and we pump out every drop of water. He then searches everywhere and discovers that water is coming in at a rate of a tablespoon a second and there is some mud there too where the P bracket is.

He is convinced its the P bracket. So without lifting back into the yard how do I seal the leak from the inside. I'm now in a marina with power to charge the batteries so I can wash the mud out and drain the water but it will rapidly get wet. again.

I have unsuccessfully used an epoxy putty on a wet surface before and it doesn't stick. It isn't the easiest place to get to but has anyone got any solutions or ideas for what I can pour in to permanently stop the leak from the inside?
for a temp fix tackle it from the out side, yes you will have to go into the water clean around the through hull and use a underwater silicone putty like material at least you have the water pressure to keep it there till next haul out
I have done a few New hull throughs without taking the boat out of the water also installed a rudder with a wider shaft (had to widen the hole below waterline using a toilet dougnut on piece of plywood secured above deck to the winches worked beautifully)without taking the boat out 37 discovery not for everybody to do
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 15:56   #14
Registered User
 
FionaJC's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: East Coast UK
Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Posts: 273
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.K. View Post
for a temp fix tackle it from the out side, yes you will have to go into the water clean around the through hull and use a underwater silicone putty like material at least you have the water pressure to keep it there till next haul out
I have done a few New hull throughs without taking the boat out of the water also installed a rudder with a wider shaft (had to widen the hole below waterline using a toilet dougnut on piece of plywood secured above deck to the winches worked beautifully)without taking the boat out 37 discovery not for everybody to do
Water Temperature today 5.9C / 42.5F I am not going under water in a swimsuit in August, let alone January! I have a wetsuit and I don't fancy that either!

You are welcome to come here and have a go, I'll hold your towel.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 20:45   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: San Francisco
Boat: Morgan 382
Posts: 1,404
Re: Sealing a wet leaking through hull P bracket

It sounds like the rate of ingress has increased dramatically recently. Like it has leaked a bit for the past few years but not enough to know where from, to a tablespoon per second. That is a roughly a quart (or roughly a liter) of water per minute.

I would think this could be an indication that it could continue to get worse, and quickly. You might wake to find that it has completely let loose, and your boat is on the bottom. Or, it might be very minor and some 5200 will hold for years.

If it were my boat, I would haul out right away, get the area dry, and the evaluate the condition.

I don't think there is any in the water fix, but if I were to try, I would use ample amounts of 5200 on the outside to seal it. Then dry it on the inside, and when dry, glass over from the inside. If the water is too cold for that, the only answer is to haul out.
__________________
-Warren
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaking through hull - seal or let leak Mazamou Meets & Greets 23 21-01-2023 22:49
Through hull appears to be leaking felizcortez Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 32 30-04-2020 15:14
Product for Sealing Leaking Tank Weld cburger Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 15 28-11-2015 12:53
Measure speed through water without making hole through hull. Lars_L Construction, Maintenance & Refit 29 26-03-2015 11:58
Saildrive Through Hull Sealing damianham Propellers & Drive Systems 3 12-08-2014 08:24

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.