Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2021, 13:07   #1

Rigid boom vang in place of gallows?

I just installed solar on my bimini and i hate to wait for the day when my topping lift breaks.... In reality.... Most likely i or some one else will release the topping lift accidentally and destroy the panels. Or the boom swing past and hit them on accident. Im loking for fool proof as possible because i always find a way. I was in the process of constructing boom gallows. However i think i may just use a rigid vang. Ive never had a rigid vang nor used one.

Am i correct in thinking i can set it to a low point that is at a point just above the panels and make it fast so it will not drop below that point.? Then I can also lose the topping lift too. Even with say for example no wind in the sail or even the sail down the boom can swing and the lift will keep it to desired height? Or any other human stupidity that im bound to figure out? Does any one have an opinion of which is best vang? The selden looks good in price but im thinking the gas cylinder may be a source of problems. Ive recently been slowly switching to all garhauer. In my opinion they make the best gear at a really good price. My boom and mast is a lefel it does allow the boom to swivel so i dont now if that rules out a vang. Thanks

P.s. i been Googling where to find 316 POLISHED stainless fittings and tubing thats not whole sale or crazy custom order. I am a welder . Iwill be fabricating a gallows of ss in the future. Any one recomend a source?
Mg451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 13:20   #2

Re: Rigid boom vang in place of gallows?

Also consindering the barton boom kicker .
Old 20-09-2021, 04:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

A sufficiently robust rigid boom vang defines a triangle with the mast and boom as the other two sides. Therefore it prevents the boom rising or falling. If it is not adjustable, it may not supply the best angle for the boom at all points of sail and shape of mainsail(s). It will do the job you seek. Just keep in mind that it is a small triangle bracing a long boom and a long mast with a big sail in between, so the forces, particularly extension when a gust of wind hits, are mighty, so the "sufficiently robust" part is important.
Old 22-09-2021, 05:28   #4

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

After various years with vangs, topping lifts, gas struts, I changed my ways. Now a Barton Boom Strut does it all, and I am a contented sailor.
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 03:42   #5

I have a lefeil mast and boom. Tbe boom swivels at the gooseneck with the sail. Seems i cant use a strut or rigid vang!
Old 24-09-2021, 06:24   #6

I have the same idea to put panels on the bimini, and currently have a very large and robust boom gallow - but I think it takes away from the aesthetics of the boat. My idea was to install a stainless rail on the aft end of the bimini, just taller than the panels. If the boom swung around with the topping lift too loose it would bump into the rail before the panels.

The Boom strut sounds interesting.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 06:41   #7

Ive heard good things from owners of the boom strut. For me my swiveling boom restricts what i can install. Everyone i contacted said i can't use it bc the load would shear on the boom fitting.
Old 24-09-2021, 08:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have 2 boats, one with and one without a gallows.

I much love prefer having a gallows.

Tames that damn boom when things go south.

Piece of Mind vs. a piece of brain.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:59   #9

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg451 View Post
P.s. i been Googling where to find 316 POLISHED stainless fittings and tubing thats not whole sale or crazy custom order. I am a welder . Iwill be fabricating a gallows of ss in the future. Any one recomend a source?
I just purchased 6 x 10' sections of 1" OD 316L polished welded tube for my solar frame. Purchased from Verocious Motorsports. They had 700' in stock when I called. Really good price on the tubing. However in 10' they had to go freight which was about $10 more than the tubes themselves. If you can get away with 8' or shorter it can go UPS which will be much better price wise.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 09:08   #10

Any one have a westsail 32 with a rigid vang? I have the same rig as a westsail 32
Old 24-09-2021, 09:28   #11

Flightlead is that mirror finish 316? Ive been finding satin finish no mirror. And p.s. polishing from mill to mirror sucks!
Old 24-09-2021, 10:25   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fazzios in NJ.

May not have polished.

I have bought 316 tubing at a wicked discount. So always worth a check. Look for the discounted stuff.

https://www.shopjfi.com/

Also have a wide variety of plastics, brass, and used equipment. Biggest hardware selection I have ever seen. 18-8 SS hardware is less than $10/pound. They just weigh it.

My last purchase was 10’ of 1-1/2” by 1/4” aluminum angle. $30, not discounted, regular price.
Old 24-09-2021, 17:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I do not think anything is a decent substitute for a gallows. It's the only truly reliable way to immobilize the boom. Even a bar-tight topping lift against two tackles will eventually allow some motion, and puts a lot of stress onto a system that would have no stress at all if it incorporated a gallows.
Old 24-09-2021, 17:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^What Benz said +1

Tags
boom vang